bogfella

Pitcher Value Touts

I am not quite sold on Narveson yet, but I need to see a bit more of him before passing judgment.

As for a cutter and a slider, they can be pretty hard to separate. They look similar (and the more similar they are, probably the better since the hitter will have the same problem we do in telling the difference). A cutter could probably be defined as something between a 4 seam fastball and a slider. It is thrown with a similar grip to the 4 seamer and generally has more velocity than a slider. The slider comes in slightly slower and tends to break more and earlier. Similarly, I kind of look at a slider as being somewhere between a cutter and a curve - cutter = harder, less break, later, slider = medium speed, a bit more break, earlier, and a curve = slower speed, much more break but the break starts earlier.

Not sure if that helped, but that's the closet I can come to a definition. lol

How do you feel about Narveson now?

How do you feel about Narveson now?

I was scouting a couple of other games during his last start so I only got to see a bit of his outing. I just can't get excited about his stuff. he has certainly enjoyed success so far this season but I am still skeptical regarding his long term value. I'm not ready to label him a sell high guy yet but I am not convinced he is a fantasy boon either.

Bog, what are your thoughts on mixed league value for Justin Masterson? He's off to a hot start and is on my radar.

Bog, what are your thoughts on mixed league value for Justin Masterson? He's off to a hot start and is on my radar.

Whatever you do, don't factor in his start against the Mariners. I think any minor league pitcher could shut down that offense. Not saying you shouldn't consider Masterson, just throw that game out.

Whatever you do, don't factor in his start against the Mariners. I think any minor league pitcher could shut down that offense. Not saying you shouldn't consider Masterson, just throw that game out.

I agree that you shouldn't be as impressed about a start against the Mariners as you would be if he had done the same against Boston, but there's something to be said about a pitcher being able to go out and dominate the offenses that he should.

He's your basic back of the fantasy rotation guy. He would be alright in a very deep league where you could pick and choose his starts and probably has value in an AL only but he doesn't have the upside to be a huge help long term.

Great thread and I appreciate your insight. Another one I'm interested in hearing about is Kyle McClellan. How do you feel about him?

He's your basic back of the fantasy rotation guy. He would be alright in a very deep league where you could pick and choose his starts and probably has value in an AL only but he doesn't have the upside to be a huge help long term.

Sounds good, thank you. We have to bid on our players with a budget, so I don't think I'll waste my money then.

Great thread and I appreciate your insight. Another one I'm interested in hearing about is Kyle McClellan. How do you feel about him?

I like McClellan. He's not Adam Wainwright but he will contribute to the Cardinals this year. For fantasy purposes he's a solid guy who should give you a respectable WHIP and ERA with a fair amount of strikeouts. He fits well at the back of a fantasy rotation in most leagues and should be better than a lot of MLB 5th starters.

I agree that you shouldn't be as impressed about a start against the Mariners as you would be if he had done the same against Boston, but there's something to be said about a pitcher being able to go out and dominate the offenses that he should.

Any pitcher going against them has a great chance of having a great game no matter what kind of stuff they have. They rolled out Adam Kennedy today at number 3 in the order. I doubt Adam Kennedy is even in the Major Leagues if it wasn't for the Mariners and they actually batted him 3rd. Think about how bad your offense has to be to even consider batting Adam Kennedy 3rd.

I am a Mariners fan too and my family has been season ticket holders since 1977. This is just a bad, bad offense. It wasn't even a slight at Masterson just that the results are basically meaningless because any starting pitcher in baseball should be able to mow right through this offense.

Hey Bog,

Any more thoughts on Michael Pineda?? Dude has good control, brings the heat, has a nasty slider and a developing change-up. You think he could be this years Latos or Daniel Hudson??

Edited by beauso79

Hey Bogs love your insight, what your thoughts on Jair Jurrjens, he's available in my league and could use some pitching help. ...

Pineda - I like him quite a bit. I think anticipating results like those from Latos and Hudson might be a bit optimistic, but all in all I think he will provide decent numbers for a kid boosted by playing in Seattle. He *might* be the Latos or Hudson of 2011 but I think you are setting yourself up for a disappointment if you expect it.

Jurrjens - I am a Jurrjens believer. I really liked him in '09 and talked him up a lot. Last year was a combination of things but I am still a believer until he shows me what he had in 2009 is gone. He's on a couple of my teams and I am looking forward to this weekend to see where he's at.

Edited by bogfella

Any chance on Oliver coming up soon with the struggles of Porcello?

I'm guessing not for awhile. Its possible but I think they would like to play this hand for a bit and see if they can work through Porcello's struggles. I watched him the other day and he showed some good but inconsistent stuff.

Bogfella, what's your opinion on Anibal Sanchez? He's had a rough start to the season and I'm pondering cutting bait on his killer whip. Problem is this is in a 16 team mixed keeper and I'm not seeing anything left on the WW.

Do you think he turns it around?

Bogfella, what's your opinion on Anibal Sanchez? He's had a rough start to the season and I'm pondering cutting bait on his killer whip. Problem is this is in a 16 team mixed keeper and I'm not seeing anything left on the WW.

Do you think he turns it around?

Not a big Sanchez fan, especially with his injury history. Problem is in very deep leagues there may not be much out there unless you are looking to take a flier on someone to stash on your bench. I am thinking Sanchez might be hurting because he has not looked good at all - and even though I am not a fan, he hasn't been this rough.

bogfella,

Do you have any thoughts on sam leclure? I know the competition hasnt been the stiffest for him yet, but his numbers have looked good nonetheless.

Thanks in advance.

I like Travis Wood quite a bit and think he will be a solid starter as he settles in. He's not going to be a #1 or even a #2 imho but he fits nicely as a #3 or #4 and that makes him fantasy relevant.

Sam LeCure is not someone I would expect to have long term success as a MLB starter. He has bounced around the minors and has just so-so stuff with a fastball that tops out around 90 and mediocre secondary pitches. I saw him awhile back and he didn't show anything too interesting and I would be surprised if its gotten significantly better. He is the kind of guy the league will catch up with sooner rather than later so he profiles as a spot starter/long man in the pen swing man type to me.

Since he's pitching tomorrow, what are your thoughts on Teheran? What kind of pitcher are we looking at?