Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Oscar Taveras - OF STL

Watch Beltran break his leg stepping out of his car this week...

JJ Cooper@jjcoop3625m

#Cardinals' Oscar Taveras' injury may have looked bad, but just a rolled ankle he should be back in action in a few days.

Cardinals Beat writer says..."Taveras day to day with right ankle injury. X-Rays taken and no fracture found, per official."

http://hardballtalk....s-ankle-injury/

In the comment section there...

"Just because he didn’t suffer a fracture doesn’t rule out a potentially serious injury. Taveras slid into 2nd on a successful SB attempt and appeared to get his right foot stuck under his body just as he approached the bag. Taveras couldn’t put any weight on the right side of his body and he appeared to be in a great deal of pain as a coach helped him off the field. It looked eerily similar to the Jose Reyes injury. Like Taveras, Reyes’ x-ray came back clean, but an MRI revealed a severe sprain and he was declared out for 3 months by Blue Jays management. I’m guessing we won’t see Taveras on a minor league diamond until at least mid-June as the Cardinals are sure to err on the side of extreme caution with their prized prospect. This would seemingly push back a promotion to the big leagues even further, particularly if Craig, Adams and Beltran avoid serious injuries."

Jeez...well which is it? Mid June or back possibly in a week?

Looked like he was in a lot of pain. I would think they'd sit him for a bit.

Hopefully he heals quickly and gets up to St. Louis. I cant wait to see this kid hit big league pitching...the time is now for Oscar!

Right now he's injured. Overall he's done ok. Nothing bad and better of late. But nothing extraordinary that forces a move. He's in a tough position than Profar, IMO. Unless the Cards believe he can play CF in the bigs, he's stuck behind the team's best two hitters in Holiday and Beltran. There's nowhere else to play and no DH.

Surprised there hasn't been an update. Not sure why he didn't go on DL. Hasn't it been over a week since his injury? Hopefully no setbacks.

Yeah, was just wondering how his injury was going. It's sad that I need to hope for Beltran, Jay, or Holliday to get injured for the top hitting prospect to get called up. Will happen eventually, but he's burning a hole on my bench. Dropping him isn't an option to me in a keeper.

yeah, you'd have to pry this guy away from my cold dead hands in my keeper league. no matter how big his cup of coffee may be this year, he's a starter in 2014, imo.

As far as the CF talk goes, he seems athletic enough to do so. And, he's been in CF in the minors now for 2 years.

CF - 93 Games

RF - 15

CF - 24 Games

RF - 4 Game

It seems like if they truly thought there was no future in CF they'd have pulled the plug and just let him concentrate on hitting.

If he was absolutely awful in CF.

And like everyone has said, it's most likely going to be

LF - Holliday

RF - Craig

1B - Adams

4th OF - Jay

So he has to play CF

Also, it's not like Busch is a monster OF, like a SF or COL

Oscar Taveras (ankle) is expected to return to action at Triple-A Memphis by the middle of this week.

Taveras injured his right ankle last Sunday while attempting to steal second base. X-rays taken in the immediate aftermath showed no structural damage, but the Cardinals have understandably decided to play it safe with their top prospect. Taveras, 20, was batting .317 with an .831 OPS through his first 31 games this season for the Memphis Redbirds. He should reach the major league level at some point in 2013.

As far as the CF talk goes, he seems athletic enough to do so. And, he's been in CF in the minors now for 2 years.

CF - 93 Games

RF - 15

CF - 24 Games

RF - 4 Game

It seems like if they truly thought there was no future in CF they'd have pulled the plug and just let him concentrate on hitting.

If he was absolutely awful in CF.

And like everyone has said, it's most likely going to be

LF - Holliday

RF - Craig

1B - Adams

4th OF - Jay

So he has to play CF

That's true. But he can only play CF if the team wants him there. The Scouting reports I've read are that he's borderline in CF. He'll play there in the minors to improve his versatility, but I'm not sure how the Cards view him long-term. It certainly is easier for Taveras to man center than push him into a corner. I don't know much about Jay defensively, but if he's not a difensive whizz, then the dropoff should not be significant. I guess we'll see the true answer around the Super 2 deadline in early June.

If Choo can run around in CF, then I'm sure Taveras can too.

Jay is a future 4th OF. He's never been overly great with the bat, and would be a great super-sub that can play all 3 OF positions. Their 1B/OF situation next year will be:

1B - Adams

LF - Holliday

CF - Taveras

RF - Craig

OF - Jay

I honestly don't think a Beltran injury will bring Taveras up. That will just give Adams more playing time with Craig shifting to RF. When Jay starts struggling and Taveras is mashing, that is when he will come up.

We're talking a late season call-up (August) at this point, no? Barring injury...

We're talking a late season call-up (August) at this point, no? Barring injury...

Unfortunately, that is what I am thinking at this point. There is just no room, and Adams making good use of his limited play doesn't help his chances either since Adams now seems likely to get the first shot when a spot opens up.

How long can you afford, and I'm not talking in the fiscal sense, to keep a prospect like Taveras in AAA? Before he sprained his ankle, he was starting to really heat up and hit the ball well. At what point has he done all he can and you need to cal him up to continue his progression as a baseball player?

I don't know much about Jay defensively, but if he's not a difensive whizz, then the dropoff should not be significant. I guess we'll see the true answer around the Super 2 deadline in early June.

Jay is actually a pretty good CF.

Last year he was "Gold glove caliber" IMO

993 Innings, 292 Chances, 0 Errors, 1 Assist

Rtot = +9

Rdrs = +2

Rtot/yr = +10

He has a noodle-arm however.

Worried about a setback. Why is he still not playing? Was supposed to appear "mid-week," but still nothing.

He's returning to the lineup Sunday...

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, May 25, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, May 25, 2013 - No reason given

Quick trading question concerning Taveras. Do you think he is more or less valuable than Profar? I was thinking of doing my Profar for Taveras straight up. I guess I could have made a topic about this, but I figured you guys are the Taveras experts.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, May 25, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, May 25, 2013 - No reason given

Quick trading question concerning Taveras. Do you think he is more or less valuable than Profar? I was thinking of doing my Profar for Taveras straight up. I guess I could have made a topic about this, but I figured you guys are the Taveras experts.

Bench coach thread, is your solution, my friend.