Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Oscar Taveras - OF STL

Posted · Hidden by RotoRaysfan, June 15, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by RotoRaysfan, June 15, 2013 - No reason given

Trying to acquire him in my 16 team dynasty head to head points league. Is this guy as good as advertised?

What player would you guys compare him to?

For a frame of reference I am in rebuild mode, and the guy wants Reyes so I am trying to get a second player out of him. Is the 1-1 fair?

Thanks for the help.

I think the most frequent comparison I see is to Vladimir Guerrero. Doesn't walk a lot, but makes great contact and doesn't K much. Tall and lanky frame that's still developing power. Has the wheels for double-digit steals.

I drafted him this year in a 14-team, 7-keeper league, and I'm hoping he makes my cut.

He'd better make your cut...you will thank yourself in the long run trust me. Every player that talks about him say he's the best the have played with at any level.

If that's true than why isn't he the clear cut #1 prospect?

Probably because the players that talk about him, are not the ones who decide who a #1 prospect is. God only knows how that is truly decided.

Whether or not he's a sure-fire keeper really depends on league context. While he likely has a very successful career ahead of him, his 2013 impact could be very minimal.

But if we're talking keepers, then he's kept for next year which is looking like for sure his first full big league season.

Also, I thought i read somewhere that prospect rankings were updated and Taveras was now #1. Profar to #2.

Again, it all depends on league context. In an NL-only auction for $5 over the next two years? Obviously a keeper. In a 12-team mixed draft with 4 keeper slots? No way he is kept unless he gets called up soon and goes Mike Trout for the rest of the year.

Whether or not he's a sure-fire keeper really depends on league context. While he likely has a very successful career ahead of him, his 2013 impact could be very minimal.

But if we're talking keepers, then he's kept for next year which is looking like for sure his first full big league season.

Also, I thought i read somewhere that prospect rankings were updated and Taveras was now #1. Profar to #2.

Again, it all depends on league context. In an NL-only auction for $5 over the next two years? Obviously a keeper. In a 12-team mixed draft with 4 keeper slots? No way he is kept unless he gets called up soon and goes Mike Trout for the rest of the year.

Of course. Agreed. He hasn't even stepped foot in the big leagues yet and I'm holding him all season on my bench even if he doesn't play until next year. We keep 8 players, so auction $'s.

Only prospect left in the minors really worth talking about as far as this season (ok, Yelich, too), if you ask me. The Cardinals are competing they want to win, and win the World Series, when does Taveras get the call? When, oh when? Seriously, if they can stand Beltran's and Holliday's defense in the OF, then a downgrade from Jay to Taveras in CF won't mean much, if you ask me.

Only prospect left in the minors really worth talking about as far as this season (ok, Yelich, too), if you ask me. The Cardinals are competing they want to win, and win the World Series, when does Taveras get the call? When, oh when? Seriously, if they can stand Beltran's and Holliday's defense in the OF, then a downgrade from Jay to Taveras in CF won't mean much, if you ask me.

That's possible, but even before that possibility comes into play, they will likely want to make sure Taveras is healthy & ready to mash. It's been only a week since he's returned from the high ankle sprain. He will have to show he's fully healthy to handle CF, and he will have to be raking.

Having said that, both are possible - but there's no rush on the Cards part yet. I'd still expect a likely callup around the ASB, if not sooner, if Taveras rakes, and shows he is 100 percent D-wise.

I think he gets the call before the ASB (Ok, I hope he gets the call before then). I agree that they are probably at this point just making sure he's healthy, and then he's in the majors. Jay can't hit water off a boat, and as long as Taveras looks serviceable in CF how can they continue to leave arguably the best bat among prospects in the minors?

What a huge upgrade it would be to go from Jay to Taveras...this lineup is already scary as it is.

I agree there is no rush, but if he can continue to hit a few more weeks who knows what could happen

He's not kicking the door down yet. Hitting just under .260 with an OBP just north of .300 since he returned (technically his last 10 games, which included the game before he hit the DL).

It's not like Jay has run away with the CF job, but until Oscar goes nuts for a week or two, I don't see them calling him up. I think we're looking first week of July if he gets on a little roll.

Super2 has safely passed (even cheap Rays made their move). If the Cards felt like they needed Oscar, they would've brought him up. Do the rosters expand just prior to playoffs or is there another time?

Otherwise it's going to take an injury or a trade.

Super2 has safely passed (even cheap Rays made their move). If the Cards felt like they needed Oscar, they would've brought him up. Do the rosters expand just prior to playoffs or is there another time?

Otherwise it's going to take an injury or a trade.

Super 2 was never the issue with Taveras. The GM has already said that he is major league ready. It's just a matter of getting playing time. They aren't going to bring him up to sit, so he needs an injury to Jay. Jay hasn't been great, but it's not like he's hitting like Aaron Hicks was to start the year. We just need him to go down with an injury or the offense to slump together and force them to make a change.

Exactly -- I think this is 100% on Jay, at least until September when rosters expand. Even if Beltran went down with a 2 week thing, I believe they'd roll with Adams at 1B and Craig in RF. I think Jay's the key with Taveras, and unless he gets hurt or absolutely tanks... he's going to keep OT in AAA.

Well you certainly don't want anyone to get hurt just so Oscar gets a chance, but I suppose that's how "wally pipped" got started. Jay is doing a good job in center and between Beltran and Holliday, he is their best outfielder. He is very valuable for his glove, so as someone posted previously, Oscar has to be a significant upgrade bat for him to take over CF.

They could trade Carlos, but he is having an awesome season.

I wouldn't trade Carlos, he's playing too well and you are competing for a title.

Yeah. They won't trade Beltran, but it seems like a guarantee that he leaves in the offseason. That way Craig goes to the OF, Adams takes over at 1B, and Taveras pushes Jay to a 4th OF role. They get cheaper and better at th same time.

I wouldn't say its a guarantee they let Beltran walk.

I'm starting to lean this way as well, though I'm not sure what he's going to be asking for.

And unless he tanks down the stretch again, I wouldn't mind having him back. He's been great.

But, if that's the case I feel like you gotta trade Adams and get something while you can. Another 2 years of waiting around isn't going to help anyone.

Even if Beltran stays, I think CF is Oscar's next season.

Jon Jay stinks... He's too streaky, can't hit LHP at all this season, and has the old 600 OPS going for him. He's also not been as good in CF.

I wouldn't trade Carlos, he's playing too well and you are competing for a title.

this. the cards are a championship team, there's no way they let beltran go before the season is over.

I wouldn't say its a guarantee they let Beltran walk.

I'm starting to lean this way as well, though I'm not sure what he's going to be asking for.

And unless he tanks down the stretch again, I wouldn't mind having him back. He's been great.

But, if that's the case I feel like you gotta trade Adams and get something while you can. Another 2 years of waiting around isn't going to help anyone.

Even if Beltran stays, I think CF is Oscar's next season.

Jon Jay stinks... He's too streaky, can't hit LHP at all this season, and has the old 600 OPS going for him. He's also not been as good in CF.

Agree completely.

Beltran has stated he wants to come back next year to the Cards, so if he's willing to sign a team friendly contract, then i don't see how the cards don't re-sign him.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Adams before the deadline. The cards will need a veteran SP for the stretch, imo (hello cliff lee?).

If the cards trade Adams, you can bet Beltran will be a card next year, with OT taking over center and jay moving to 4th OF.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, June 20, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, June 20, 2013 - No reason given

Is he worth stashing right now in Redraft league or not?

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, June 20, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, June 20, 2013 - No reason given

Is he worth stashing right now in Redraft league or not?

I'd say no unless it's an extremely deep league. I think his impact in 2013 will be very minimal, if anything.

Just got free tix to tomorrow night's Round Rock vs. Memphis game - giddy to see this kid.

Interesting within that same article posted above that Taveras talks about Jon Jay taking him under his wing in Spring Training and helping him with his defense in CF.

I really feel like this is going to come down to whether the Cards feel they have enough pitching this year. If yes, then I think they hold their main assets (Adams, OT) and figure it out over the winter. Adams is incredible injury insurance for either Beltran or Craig.

If not, then Adams gets shipped off at the deadline with perhaps a minor league arm or two for pitching help (Lee, Price, Papelbon, etc.)

As to Beltran -- if he's willing to take a team-friendly contract, they probably resign him and let him patrol RF in 2014 until his legs give out. The guy just rakes when he's healthy. Taveras takes over CF, Jay moves to 4th OF, and Adams becomes excellent trade bait over the winter.

3-4 last night with RBI....against a lefty! Booya!

3-4 last night with RBI....against a lefty! Booya!

Box score doesn't tell the whole story either... Watched him in person last night, and he just barrels the ball all the time. Taveras' double (in the 6th or 7th) was an opposite field fly/liner that he clearly didn't get all of, but the ball just kept carrying and bounced off the very top of the wall almost straight in the air. Taveras was in his HR trot after rounding first, thinking it was out. Most fans did too, but the Round Rock OF picked it up and threw it in, and the umps held him at second.

Looked like an opposite field HR to me, and again, he didn't even make great contact. Just a really quick bat and a crazy ability to make solid contact. He's going to be special.