Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Oscar Taveras - OF STL

Craig's injury makes me even more super sad about OT's misfortune

Is he still a keeper under any scenario? Deep league? High number of keeper slots?

I still think he starts with STL next year. If not, he will certainly be up very soon. Not much more for him to prove. He would have started in STL this year had they not had a logjam in the OF.

We are a 13-team roto league, 10 keepers, the guy who owns him has him for $1 in 14, $2 in 15 and 16 - I fully expect given those factors that he will be one this owners keepers this year.

Well, Beltran was QO'd, but all early reports are that he will play the market for a multi-year deal, which he's likely to get, and not from the Cards. If this is the case, I think it's very likely we see OT in the starting lineup come April.

Well, Beltran was QO'd, but all early reports are that he will play the market for a multi-year deal, which he's likely to get, and not from the Cards. If this is the case, I think it's very likely we see OT in the starting lineup come April.

I agree. He's in because either Beltran leaves or he beats out Jay for the CF job.

How does the Bourjos acquisition affect his potential to start the year in the SL? I guess I will shut up and wait to hear what happens to Beltran. But Holliday, Craig, Bourjos/Jay, Adams at 1B. Where does OT fit?

How does the Bourjos acquisition affect his potential to start the year in the SL? I guess I will shut up and wait to hear what happens to Beltran. But Holliday, Craig, Bourjos/Jay, Adams at 1B. Where does OT fit?

Bourjos made it more complicated. Taveras is still a much better talent than Bourjos or Jay, and will take over at some point next year unless he gets hurt again. In the end, he's just a better player, but the move may push his debut back from April/May to possibly Super 2 if he doesn't get off to a great start.

Hopefully it has the same impact on Taveras that it had on Trout when he was "behind" Bourjos.

perhaps STL will trade 1 or more of the OFs to open a spot for OT

#Cardinals GM Mozeliak on what adding Bourjos means for Taveras in CF and possibly Taveras on the bench ...

"When you look at what this means for Oscar ...," Mozeliak said. "It’s still intriguing for us to seem him on our club in some way, but clearly it takes a lot of pressure of him necessarily in center field. Our expectations are obviously for him to have a healthy spring training and sort of determine what makes the most sense. At the very least you look at this club now and it can change the complexion of the bench with more power off of it depending on who is playing on that given night. This does check a lot of boxes for us and should give us more flexibility moving forward."

Taveras will be fine, but this certainly makes him making the club out of spring training less likely. Looking like he'll be a super 2 candidate

Well this blows. That's all I got.

I have pretty high hopes for Taveras because of his exceptional eye-hand coordination and with him looking like a young Vlady on a good team. He would have been already guaranteed regular playing-time probably if he didn't get injured last year. Taveras will be the Cards best OF at the end of the season.

What do you think the chances are that he gets >300 PA's this year, or even breaks camp with the team? Any worth in a redraft?

So... There's 0% chance now, right?

News that his ankle isn't "100%" like OT claimed, it's more like 80% and not cleared to play.

averas is running at about 80 percent and then added that “80 percent isn’t good enough.”

Which means Taveras has not been cleared for game action yet and his chances of cracking the Opening Day roster–which may have been fairly slim to begin with–are dropping lower by the day. More likely he’ll head to Triple-A, try to crush some Pacific Coast League pitching for a month or two, and force his way into the Cardinals’ plans. Assuming that he can get healthy at some point, of course.

Disappointing as a Cards fan

In a redraft auction I called him pretty early for $1 and got him. So he's basically a 300 hitter with power that most people are overlooking.

He's not getting hype because of the ankle injury and SBs. However how much would you pay for an established hitter that could pace for 20-25 homers and a 300 average in a solid line-up? I think he is worth a gamble and a bench spot especially to just see how he fairs in ST.

In reality I think the two fantasy impact prospects for this year are Taveras and Springer (whom I snagged for $5). Bogaerts, Baez and Bryant won't be worth the stash this year in terms of production.

In reality I think the two fantasy impact prospects for this year are Taveras and Springer (whom I snagged for $5). Bogaerts, Baez and Bryant won't be worth the stash this year in terms of production.

Not worth the stash? You don't have to stash Bogaerts. He already has a starting job locked up (and at a more valuable position fantasy-wise), while Taveras and Springer are both virtual locks to spend at least the first 2 months of the season in AAA. You would be crazy to take either of those guys ahead of Bogaerts in a re-draft.

Baez and Bryant I agree with however, they're exciting prospects but I don't think they will get the opportunity to make a fantasy impact until 2015.

Long-tem I think Bogaerts is a perhaps a future Tulo but I don't think he'll hit 20 homers this year and he wont have enough SB's either. He'll be an average SS for this year b/c of his counting stats. I think Oscar and Taveras can make more of an impact right away especially Springer in terms of being above replacement level.

I like people sleeping on this guy I hope he wakes them up, but this injury timeline is dragging on way to long for me to feel great about it...

Not worried....at all....about the injury.

What reason do they have to push him this spring? They're going to gradually build him up, and get him ready for the beginning of the year at Memphis. There's no real shot he plays in STL before June anyway. Let him get 2 months more experience under his belt, and bring him up when ready.

None of this affects his long term prognosis.

While I like Taveras I always thought he was over hyped and there were equal if not better OF options who were far lesser known and available at a much less expense. Now that' he's still not ready to play, I'd be selling high on him. I have a feeling he struggles big time his first shot in the bigs and his value takes a pretty big hit over the next 2 years.

Dear God,

Please let Oscar's debut go well today and injury free. Please also remove any further bumps in his road to super stardom.

Thank you.

Signed,

Extremely nervous and anxious Taveras owner.

Sweet the game is televised on SNY...I'll watch every at bat and report back here for those that don't have the channel.