Rotoworld.com Forums

Oscar Taveras - OF STL

crotchcrickets

1st at bat: watched a fastball go down the pipe, got fooled by an offspeed pitch swing and miss, down 0-2 doubles just over the glove of Granderson in right. Was almost a one handed swing and near the end of the bat. Beast.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1st at bat: watched a fastball go down the pipe, got fooled by an offspeed pitch swing and miss, down 0-2 doubles just over the glove of Granderson in right. Was almost a one handed swing and near the end of the bat. Beast.

Come on, I'm watching this game too, the wind is gusting, and I mean GUSTING out to RF. That double was a routine fly out 99% of the time. Also worth noting pretty much every Cardinal crushed Daisuke today.

3rd AB, rolled over a Montero change up.

3rd at bat: grounded out weakly to 2nd. I assume he's done for the day. All in all a solid debut considering he's over week behind everyone else.

Come on, I'm watching this game too, the wind is gusting, and I mean GUSTING out to RF. That double was a routine fly out 99% of the time. Also worth noting pretty much every Cardinal crushed Daisuke today.

The wind has only picked up recently. It was practically a one handed swing and wasn't even hit on the sweet spot. Don't downplay this dammit!

I mean it's a hamstring, when you haven't gone full-go in how long, and then try to go $100%, things like this happen. If he keeps having ankle problems or problems with his knees etc., then I'd be more concerned.

If I remember correctly, Taveras had a high ankle sprain that required surgery. Recovery time for that type of ankle surgery is 6 months.

He had the surgery on August 17, so that brings 6 months to February 17, roughly a month ago. Then I suppose he has to rehab it, and get it back to baseball strength.

He then injured his hamstring, which was on the same leg as the high ankle sprain surgery was on, so maybe that led to his most recent injury. However, they played him in a meaningless spring training game, and have repeatedly stated this off season that Taveras won't play in an exhibition game until it's clear he is not favoring that ankle while running. So I'm guessing his ankle was pretty close to full strength, or a smart organization like the Cardinals wouldn't have played him in a game that didn't mean much. The ankle may already be at full strength, but the hamstring injury maybe was just a result of him getting back in the swing of things. A tight hamstring isn't something to worry about, right? I mean, just from experience, I've had doctors tell me my hamstring is tight without me even realizing that it was tight.

I'm pretty confident he'll get over all of these injuries once he's 110% back. Cardinals are going to play it smart with their 21 year old phenom OF. Still about a month to go before the season begins, so the Cardinals will play it safe, and let him rest. He'll start in AAA, and I'm sure he'll get MLB at bats this year. Remember, the kid is only 21, and turns 22 in June.

I mean it's a hamstring, when you haven't gone full-go in how long, and then try to go $100%, things like this happen. If he keeps having ankle problems or problems with his knees etc., then I'd be more concerned.

Exactly. It's a tight hamstring. It's not a pulled hamstring, and it's not torn.

My thought process is that the ankle must have been pretty close, if not 100%, or the Cardinals wouldn't have played him in a ST game that didn't mean much at all. Matheny and the coaching staff must have saw he's not favoring his ankle, and decided it seemed like it was the right time to give it a go. He went from not playing in several months to playing, and his hamstring was tight.

Or maybe the dude is just made of glass...

Yup. So made of glass that he played 124 games in 2012 and hit .321 while smacking 23 HRs. Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see any merit to this line of thinking. He's human, not a robot. Oh no, a tight hamstring! Drop him off your top prospect boards!

bust

Yup. So made of glass that he played 124 games in 2012 and hit .321 while smacking 23 HRs. Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see any merit to this line of thinking. He's human, not a robot. Oh no, a tight hamstring! Drop him off your top prospect boards!

holyBrowns, arguing that a hot, young stud will maintain his health while sporting a Grady Sizemore avatar is sending me mixed signals here, hah.

holyBrowns, arguing that a hot, young stud will maintain his health while sporting a Grady Sizemore avatar is sending me mixed signals here, hah.

Touche :ph34r: If Oscar turns into the next Grady I'll gladly give him the reigns to my avatar :P

My guess is the hamstring injury is a way to justify not keeping him on the big club. They probably feel he needs some time in AA to get his legs back underneath him. Could be called up in a few months. I would hang on to him if you have room. He's not the top rated prospect for nothing

Be nice if they'd just put us all out of our misery and send him down to minor league camp. Let him get his ABs. The long this goes on, the less AB he'll get in Major League games because they need to get the actual guys on the 25 man ramped up.

Matt Adams struggling, forcing Allen Craig to first = best scenario for Taveras. Anyone think he'll force his way into the lineup if he's hitting .320 come June? Bourjos signing tells me it's going to be difficult.

Archived