Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Oscar Taveras - OF STL

I pray every day that he gets called up so I can sell based on the hype. I'm so tired of his ankles. Billy Hamilton weighs 73 pounds soaking wet and he's not hurting his ankles rounding bases. Has nobody taught Oscar how to properly round a base? Even worse the Cards beat reporters are as informative as the beat writer for my local little league is.

As long as he's not going on the DL, I'm pretty sure he'll get called up within the next week. Here is why:

1) Remember when Brett Lawrie was said to be getting called up on a Tuesday, when the Jays were sure it would be past the super two date. Yeah, well remember when he got HBP and broke his hand on the Sunday night before that Tuesday. The Cards already have him on the 40 man, their OF couldn't hit a small planet if it was thrown at them and they surely aren't going to continue to let him screw his ankles up down in the minor leagues

2) Anthony Rendon. The Nationals were so upset he kept hurting himself in the minors because of how crappy the quality of a lot of minor league fields are from A to AAA that they called him up. Rizzo even confirmed it was one of the main factors to go along with Espinosa's struggles

Cards GM is smart. They could DFA Robinson, bring Oscar up and get the ball rolling. CF is actually the easiest of all 3 OF positions, at least to me it seemed like it. If he's as talented as they say, he should have no problem adjusting.

I wouldn't be surprised myself to see Taveras get called up here pretty shortly. They just put him in CF for a reason, to get some experience there before his call up. I wouldn't be surprised to see him up before the end of the month if he keeps hitting well and doesn't have a setback. Bourjos has spent alot of the season on the bench and St. Louis needs a bat in their lineup right now and Oscar has been on fire in the last week.

As much as I believe the Cards would wait for Super-2 if they were playing Bourjos in CF every day and live with his replacement-level bat due to his D - if they are going to sit him 4-5 games a week and play Jon Jay instead, then it removes the main reason to keep Taveras down. Of course, Taveras is going to need to show he's healthy and can adapt to CF (mostly range is going to be the Q, with his ankle surgery and propensity to get hurt). But yeah, Jay as the main CF is a better sign for Taveras owners hoping for a callup.

Worst-case, playing Jay more means that Taveras does have a clearer path to regular AB's when they do call him up, even if they do wait until June with Super-2 considerations.

Jeff Gordon tweet:

"So Oscar Taveras shifts to still another new agent, Dan Lozano, and suffers still another ankle injury. Sigh."

Irish Phog @IrishPhog

@dgoold has it been reported why Oscar was pinch run for?

Derrick Goold ✔ @dgoold

Follow

@IrishPhog It has not. Team not saying. Called for a trainer, left field.

10:58 PM - 21 Apr 2014

Hopefully, he just turned his ankle over a little bit. If that's all it was, and it wasn't his surgically repaired foot, he'd be fine in 3 or 4 days. It happens to basketball players routinely.

OH boy...only if this guy could stay on the field!

I was ecstatic to hear him play in CF as thats his best chance for a callup to replace Jay/Bourjos......now im deflated as he, yet agin, gets hurt!

Godo to hear that it wasn't on his surgically repaired ankle.

Godo to hear that it wasn't on his surgically repaired ankle.

True...but he needs to prove he can stay on field...in particular, he needs to prove he can play CF healthy

Posted · Hidden by RotoRaysfan, April 22, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by RotoRaysfan, April 22, 2014 - No reason given

Just traded him and Homer for MadMax...pre-new ailment.

Posted · Hidden by RotoRaysfan, April 22, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by RotoRaysfan, April 22, 2014 - No reason given

Just traded him and Homer for MadMax...pre-new ailment.

#CSB

Again, he walked off under his own power, I'm betting he misses 1-3 games max.