Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Oscar Taveras - OF STL

WTF. As a left handed hitter myself, how do you roll your LEFT ankle breaking out of the box? It seems IMPOSSIBLE. I'm sitting here in my cubicle trying to reenact it and there is no way unless he basically was falling over towards the RH batters box as he hit it.

The most interesting part of that story was that the Card's GM was at the game. One of those three (Taveras, Piscotty, or Grichuk) is coming up soon...

i believe he was there because a member of the cards front office staff was "promoted" to the GM of the Memphis Redbirds.

Seems like a situation where no news is good news. Hopefully he'll be in the lineup for the next game.

Sounds minor. I hope he plays next game or at worst the following one.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140422&content_id=72977884&notebook_id=72978576&vkey=notebook_stl&c_id=stl

Heres video of the actual play/injury. To me it appears he stumbles out of the batters box perhaps taking off too quickly and turning his ankle..thats what I could see. I dont think it happened at the base but could be wrong. In any case it was listed in that article that he was held out for "precautionary reasons" which is generally a good sign for all of us!

1. Oscar Taveras, OF, St. Louis Cardinals

Current level: Triple-A Memphis

Hit tool grade: 70

Analysis: There will be some tough calls as to who belongs at the top of these scouting tool lists, but this wasn't one of them. Taveras' swing isn't picture-perfect, but he has excellent hand-eye coordination and stays through the zone to hit line drives to both right and left field. He's also an excellent "bad ball" hitter who can hit pitches hard no matter the location, although the fact that he swings at so many pitches off the plate does limit his walks. It likely won't come until this summer, but you can expect Taveras to be a high-average hitter as soon as he makes his way to St. Louis, and it wouldn't be shocking if he leads the league in batting average at some point.

What kind of power are we looking at? Better Prospect than Wil Myers was?

Analysis: There will be some tough calls as to who belongs at the top of these scouting tool lists, but this wasn't one of them. Taveras' swing isn't picture-perfect, but he has excellent hand-eye coordination and stays through the zone to hit line drives to both right and left field. He's also an excellent "bad ball" hitter who can hit pitches hard no matter the location, although the fact that he swings at so many pitches off the plate does limit his walks. It likely won't come until this summer, but you can expect Taveras to be a high-average hitter as soon as he makes his way to St. Louis, and it wouldn't be shocking if he leads the league in batting average at some point.

i think so, but that's just a matter of personal opinion.

If you take his ankles out of the equation, then yes.

Power? I think Myers has more power than Taveras....but Oscar's hit tool is/was/will be much better. I definitely have Oscar as a superior prospect.

Power? I think Myers has more power than Taveras....but Oscar's hit tool is/was/will be much better. I definitely have Oscar as a superior prospect.

Comparable to what major league players skill set?

He is back in the lineup tonight. Great news!

Baseball Prospectus has Taveras with a 8 hit potential and 7 power potential. He should be have as much power as Myers, if not more. He's got a nice frame (6'2 200) and hit 37 doubles, 7 triples and 23 HR as a 20 year old in AA so it's not hard to see him hitting 30+ in a few years.

Baseball Prospectus has Taveras with a 8 hit potential and 7 power potential. He should be have as much power as Myers, if not more. He's got a nice frame (6'2 200) and hit 37 doubles, 7 triples and 23 HR as a 20 year old in AA so it's not hard to see him hitting 30+ in a few years.

Hopefully seeing how bad the Cards offense is doing made his ankles feel better. I'm sure they know one of them will be getting called up soon. Is he the only OF at Memphis on the 40 man? If so that'd be fantastic.

The talent is definitely there, but can he stay healthy? That's the real question.

Starting in Left tonight. So much for CF

damn - why only start him at CF for one game?

on a side note, you know it's goin back for the cards when the only guy knockin in runs is the catcher not named yadier.

Don't you all think him not being in CF is only because of the ankle?

Less movement in LF obviously...

I think he'll be back there when he's 100%.

The Cards could use his bat.

Don't you all think him not being in CF is only because of the ankle?

Less movement in LF obviously...

I think he'll be back there when he's 100%.

The Cards could use his bat.

perhaps, yes. the thought did cross my mind.

call it selfish reasoning that i wanted to see him start in cf.