Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Oscar Taveras - OF STL

The Cardinals are playing safe with Taveras. He will likely get more swings in the Minors until he becomes more comfortable with his ankles and playing center field.

The Cardinals are playing safe with Taveras. He will likely get more swings in the Minors until he becomes more comfortable with his ankles and playing center field.

Just a matter of time before Bourjos or Craig get hurt, if they even wait that long to call up Oscar. We all know neither one can stay healthy at all. The issue is even when Oscar gets called up, what do they plan to do with both Jay and Bourjos? Seems like one may have to be traded.

Matt Pouliot doesn't seem so confidence in a call up for Oscar.

http://www.rotoworld...g-oscar-taveras

Unfortunately Pouliot would rather look at the last two season for Taveras where he only had 267 AB and not the year where the young 20 year old hit 321/380/572 with 23 HR, 37 2B and 10 SB. Convenient, huh?

The PCL is a notorious hitters league so it wouldn't make much sense that his numbers just dropped moving up there. Taveras wasn't healthy for some of those AB and really 260 or so AB is a very small sample size for a hitter. Why not look at the 785 AB he had between the Midwest and Texas League where he clearly did much better at a younger age? Not to mention the Midwest league is known for favoring pitchers and he tore it up as a 19 year old.

Oh well.

I think all that Grichuk is going to get initially is the bad side of a platoon with Jay. They're not going to call Taveras up for a platoon spot, especially since Jay and Taveras are both lefties. Although the same principle should apply to all three of their AAA OF's, one would think.

I actually think it's a good sign they called up someone else. They're testing out the waters to see if Jay picks up some of his production with an extra player to platoon with. Bourjos is quickly falling out of favor with his terrible bat. If Jay's offense drops off, Taveras will be waiting in the wings for the full-time gig. I still think things will play out accordingly in June.

Where does STL put Jay and Bourjos if Taveras comes up? Both on the bench just sitting there? I almost think there'd have to be a trade for OT to be guaranteed everyday at-bats.

I think all that Grichuk is going to get initially is the bad side of a platoon with Jay. They're not going to call Taveras up for a platoon spot, especially since Jay and Taveras are both lefties. Although the same principle should apply to all three of their AAA OF's, one would think.

I'd echo the statement that when he gets the call, the Cards have to be sure he can play the position they need, and also be healthy enough to play there every day.

I've already said why I think they'd wait with Bourjos playing full-time, but if they resort to Jay/Grichuk, their D isn't good enough to justify poor O production. But, I think a callup is still weeks away - both for OT to show he's healthy, and to give Jay/Grichuk the next shot.

All of the above is barring injury to their other OF's, of course.

Just to play devil's advocate, does anyone have any apprehensions that OT could be the next Delmon Young? I want to have all the confidence in him in the world, and I have no stats to back that up, I just feel that Oscar's star has dimmed over the past 6-8 months.

Just to play devil's advocate, does anyone have any apprehensions that OT could be the next Delmon Young? I want to have all the confidence in him in the world, and I have no stats to back that up, I just feel that Oscar's star has dimmed over the past 6-8 months.

Well, he was never the #1 overall pick. He's 21 years old. He was last season.

So no...

If you're asking could he bust? Sure. Any prospect can. Will he? I don't know. He doesn't strike out at an alarming rate like other prospects, he walks a lot always posting a high OBP and he makes great contact. The question isn't will he hit, it's just how much. He has all the ingredients to be one of the best hitters in baseball.

There's been plenty of "can't miss" prospects who missed. You just never know until they get their opportunity.

There's been plenty of "can't miss" prospects who missed. You just never know until they get their opportunity.

Someone posted an article about top prospects' success ratings in history in another thread... I'll try to find it again. I think historically top 10 bats have a 50% chance of 'succeeding'.

With such elite contact rates all the while swinging so violently and powerfully it is very doubtful he will be a bust.

Perhaps injuries might prevent him from being a superstar but he won't be a bust if he stays on the field.

Just hit an absolute bomb to right field. I recently got MiLB TV and watching this guy play is just awesome. Such a good eye, great contact and tons of raw power that will grow when he gets older.

Ya - I really love this guy. I think he is the closest thing to barry bonds I have seen in a while. I know that is a STRETCH lol, because obviously he won't steal 40-50 bases, but his swing is so dynamite. He's got that same quick bat with great power. if you're asking whether you think he'll be a bust, i'm thinking definitely not. From what i've seen I am VERY excited.

Posted · Hidden by dzemens, April 29, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by dzemens, April 29, 2014 - No reason given

I traded him. I have Polanco as well and decided I didnt trust Oscars ankles and nagging injuries and went with Polancos immense 5 tool upside.

Wow another 2 hits and a bomb. Even Grichuk must be saying "what the hell am I doing up here?"

Wow another 2 hits and a bomb. Even Grichuk must be saying "what the hell am I doing up here?"

Jon Jay probably wondering the same after leaving 8 men on base tonight