Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Oscar Taveras - OF STL

Really depends on your need, your budget, and how much difference you think he makes during that time period. If winning a few more games is that important to making the playoffs or getting the fans to show up then it is probably worth the few millions extra. Baseball is not like other businesses. You don't have monopolies and revenue sharing in any businesses in America. Its funny how America's past time really isn't that American.

Chances are he's not going to win them a few games by himself over the course of a month. 3 wins a month would project to a WAR of about 16. Mike Trout's WAR has been around 9 or 10 the last two years. Nevermind the fact that he wouldn't be taking the place of a replacement level player.

Take your fantasy off hat off and it really would make no sense to not wait another month. Bring him up now and you get him for an extra month in his rookie year. Bring him up after Super 2 and you get him for an extra year in his prime.

If you ran a business and you could save millions by simply waiting a month before "purchasing" an asset then what decision would you as savvy business owners make?

Let me guess, buy the asset now just so you can produce 3 - 5 more products right?

Since when did baseball become more about saving money than winning games. Especially for the STL Cardinals. I mean seriously... I understand there's a business side to it, but why isn't winning games the priority?

If you ran a business and you could save millions by simply waiting a month before "purchasing" an asset then what decision would you as savvy business owners make?

Let me guess, buy the asset now just so you can produce 3 - 5 more products right?

Since when did baseball become more about saving money than winning games. Especially for the STL Cardinals. I mean seriously... I understand there's a business side to it, but why isn't winning games the priority?

The priority of any non-profit organization is to maximize profits. The purpose of winning games is to be in a position to make money, hence incentives such as increased revenue from making the playoffs, etc. It would be a very stupid business move in my opinion to bring him up just to try to win a couple of games. Oscar doesn't pitch, he can't field all positions, he can't cure potential injuries so how much faith truly can an organization faced with this decision place in the ability of a rookie when we are talking about so much money?

Mike Trout, Manny Machado continue to be the exception and not the rule.

It is. Available cash flow and player control are both ingredients to winning.

That's why this system needs changed. It's stupid that teams are afraid to roster their best players possible because of Super 2.

This I can agree with that the system needs to be changed however as an owner operating in the existing system, it would be foolish for them to act otherwise.

It needs to be said that OT isn't down strictly because of Super-2. Unlike polanco, OT is blocked. He won't start over Holliday, Craig or Adams. As for CF, he can't field the position to the level that the team is satisfied. If he did and displayed full health, I'm sure they would've already called him up by now. Unless there's an injury or the hitters at CF golden sombrero every night, OT won't be up.

He's only going to get the call if there are everyday ABs. Maybe they are masking the Super-2 issue with the fact that he's not fielding center well enough. But it's simply not just super-2 holding him back. So if the system were changed, he'd still be in the farm because the Cards don't think he's ready or there's no spot for him to start.

It needs to be said that OT isn't down strictly because of Super-2. Unlike polanco, OT is blocked. He won't start over Holliday, Craig or Adams. As for CF, he can't field the position to the level that the team is satisfied. If he did and displayed full health, I'm sure they would've already called him up by now. Unless there's an injury or the hitters at CF golden sombrero every night, OT won't be up.

He's only going to get the call if there are everyday ABs. Maybe they are masking the Super-2 issue with the fact that he's not fielding center well enough. But it's simply not just super-2 holding him back. So if the system were changed, he'd still be in the farm because the Cards don't think he's ready or there's no spot for him to start.

I didn't want to "like" your post but it hit the proverbial nail on the head. I drafted OT in my 18-team league back in March and was really hoping I had an impact player who would be up by mid-May but didn't work out so favorably now did it

Patience...even STL can't be stupid enough to keep him in Memphis for too long while their big league "stars" continue to struggle.

I didn't want to "like" your post but it hit the proverbial nail on the head. I drafted OT in my 18-team league back in March and was really hoping I had an impact player who would be up by mid-May but didn't work out so favorably now did it

I'm with you. I've held on since the draft with a somewhat thin roster due to injuries to 4 other players. I've gone this far. Too late to turn back now.

If the Cards do feel some urgency soon, I could see them shaking things up. If we hit June, which is a third of the season, and they still struggle offensively, I could see the move. But that'll be due to where they draw the line in the sand and say enough is enough. Not because super-2. Super-2 will almost be the extra bonus for them for waiting this long. They're a smart organization and need to preach some faith in what they have before jumping ship. Imagine how you'd feel if you're a regular in the Cards lineup if the manager/GM decides to forget about you after a month of poor stats, but you've shown a specific skillset/asset throughout your career or your time with the team that they value. It's not good for morale when the people who back you up all the sudden change their tune for a shiny new toy, regardless if he's possibly the next big thing. Even Lebron James had to sit on the bench for that Olympic team that didn't win a medal. Sometimes you gotta pay your dues before it's your time. I'm sorry to say it as much as I don't like to, but it's the truth.

That's a little ridiculous. Taveras isn't some shiny new toy who's come out of nowhere. This is a guy who at every level has dominated despite being younger than the competition. It's not about jumping ship, it's about making the right move. Taveras has the potential to jump in and be an elite hitter. Look at what Myers did for the Rays or Puig for the Dodgers. Sure they are the exception and not the rule (same with Machado and Trout as previously mentioned), but scouts have always raved about Taveras. The special thing about him is that his game translate perfectly. Great contact rates and excellent plate discipline are recipes for success. It's not a matter of will he hit, but how much.

That's a little ridiculous. Taveras isn't some shiny new toy who's come out of nowhere. This is a guy who at every level has dominated despite being younger than the competition. It's not about jumping ship, it's about making the right move. Taveras has the potential to jump in and be an elite hitter. Look at what Myers did for the Rays or Puig for the Dodgers. Sure they are the exception and not the rule (same with Machado and Trout as previously mentioned), but scouts have always raved about Taveras. The special thing about him is that his game translate perfectly. Great contact rates and excellent plate discipline are recipes for success. It's not a matter of will he hit, but how much.

Your points are addressing thoughts that I didn't even express. No one is debating how great Taveras has been and will be. My points were originally to state why Super-2 is not the sole reason why he's not called up, not a justification on why he should still remain in the minors. No one outside the front office thinks he should stay in Memphis. Also, "shiny new toy" does not equal "shiny new toy that came out of nowhere" as you said.

Understanding context would've made you see where I was getting at. Everyone in here was hating on Super-2 as the single factor when that wasn't the reason alone, or even the major factor, for why he's still in AAA.

Your points are addressing thoughts that I didn't even express. No one is debating how great Taveras has been and will be. My points were originally to state why Super-2 is not the sole reason why he's not called up, not a justification on why he should still remain in the minors. No one outside the front office thinks he should stay in Memphis. Also, "shiny new toy" does not equal "shiny new toy that came out of nowhere" as you said.

Understanding context would've made you see where I was getting at. Everyone in here was hating on Super-2 as the single factor when that wasn't the reason alone, or even the major factor, for why he's still in AAA.

My bad. By bringing up how good he is/can be I was trying to imply that even bats like Adams/Craig couldn't be a reason for keeping him down. He would be an upgrade over both of them. Anyways, I did misunderstand you so I apologize for that.

Saw this on FanTrax:

GM John Mozeliak acknowledged that Taveras could possibly receive a promotion to the Cardinals during the first week of June, when the team will need a DH during a seven-game slate in American League ballparks, Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports. "The natural thing there is because you have the DH," Mozeliak said. "I can see that possibly happening, sure."

Saw this on FanTrax:

GM John Mozeliak acknowledged that Taveras could possibly receive a promotion to the Cardinals during the first week of June, when the team will need a DH during a seven-game slate in American League ballparks, Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports. "The natural thing there is because you have the DH," Mozeliak said. "I can see that possibly happening, sure."

I just came to say I dig your avatar. Seeing them in Boston in September.

The DH in June makes sense...

The other big league options are terrible: Butler, Descalso, Jay/Bourjos, Ellis

And then either Piscotty or Grichuk.

Bring em' up!

Hopefully he hits .900 and sticks

so if he's DHing, would he atleast get semi-regular at bats?

IF they brought him up for those 7 @AL games, I'd assume he'd start all 7.

But who knows what they're doing...

...and then promptly send him back down once again aggravating use fantasy owners...

...and then promptly send him back down once again aggravating use fantasy owners...

Yeah that would be the worst. My head would explode. I don't the Cardinals management would waste an option for him like that though.

Yeah that would be the worst. My head would explode. I don't the Cardinals management would waste an option for him like that though.

I hope not, and it makes no sense to just send him right back down, but this is the Cardinals and not much has made sense so far.

I would guess Craig or Adams would DH and OT would play the field.

3-4 tonight with 2 RBI. See you in a few weeks, Oscar.

4-5! Beast mode!