Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Oscar Taveras - OF STL

Dude just gotta rake. If he does his job, he'll stay up for sure. I want to see this guy handle major league pitching. We've waited 2 years for this, what's another 2 weeks?

because there's room for him then..............................

Cardinals GM John Mozeliak said Wednesday that Oscar Taveras could "possibly" be called up when the club begins a stretch in American League parks on June 4.

St. Louis will visit the Royals, Blue Jays, then Rays in a seven-game road trip from June 4-11. That means that the DH spot will be available, and the Cardinals could cycle Allen Craig and Matt Adams through that role while offering Taveras starts in right field. The 21-year-old top prospect is batting .390/.422/.585 over his last 10 games at Triple-A Memphis and has 85 total bases in 42 total games this season in the Pacific Coast League. He's worth stashing right now in standard fantasy formats.

you had just said no room is definitely not a reason, but it's his lolligagging. now, you just contradicted yourself saying it's because there is room.

i was being sarcastic

Did you also see a game where he was loafing it, or were you being sarcastic?

OT will be seeing his first big league action 6/3 or 6/4!

So essited (little kid voice) :)

2-4 tonight with a HR and 3 RBI. Also walked and K'd once. Looking good. I really hope he's up first week of June.

Are we certain he's clear of super 2 if he comes up that week?

2-4 tonight with a HR and 3 RBI. Also walked and K'd once. Looking good. I really hope he's up first week of June.

No, I'm sure the team really won't be certain either

http://ivyenvy.com/javier-baez-super-two-status/

This is where Super Two Status comes into play. Super Two Status is a fairly confusing topic for the layperson (like myself). Players that have between two and three years of MLB service time and are in the top 22% of all 2-year players as far as service time goes, are arbitration eligible and treated as though they have 3 years of service time.

Another thing to consider in this Javier Baez situation is that players are eligible to become free agents after six years of being on the 40-man roster. If the Cubs brought up Javier Baez to start the 2014 season, he would become a free agent after the 2019 season. By waiting until the Super Two Status deadline passes, Baez would become free agency eligible after the 2020 season. If you’re looking at the 2017-2020 window like the Cubs front office probably is, you can understand why the Cubs wouldn’t want Baez to explore his free agency options a year early.

So what’s the magical Super Two Status date? Well, that all depends. Because the formula includes percentages of players and their service time, it is not known until after the season is completed. In 2012, the percentage raised from 17% to 22%, so we only have a few years to go on with the new level. In 2012, the cut-off was 2 years, 139 days. In 2013, the cut-off was significantly shorter at 2 years, 122 days. The Super Two date will probably be sometime in June. I would expect the Cubs to play it safe with calling up Baez and avoiding the Super Two Status deadline. In fact, I would not be surprised if they wait until after the All-Star Break, July 14th-17th.

http://ivyenvy.com/j...per-two-status/

This is where Super Two Status comes into play. Super Two Status is a fairly confusing topic for the layperson (like myself). Players that have between two and three years of MLB service time and are in the top 22% of all 2-year players as far as service time goes, are arbitration eligible and treated as though they have 3 years of service time.

Another thing to consider in this Javier Baez situation is that players are eligible to become free agents after six years of being on the 40-man roster. If the Cubs brought up Javier Baez to start the 2014 season, he would become a free agent after the 2019 season. By waiting until the Super Two Status deadline passes, Baez would become free agency eligible after the 2020 season. If you’re looking at the 2017-2020 window like the Cubs front office probably is, you can understand why the Cubs wouldn’t want Baez to explore his free agency options a year early.

So what’s the magical Super Two Status date? Well, that all depends. Because the formula includes percentages of players and their service time, it is not known until after the season is completed. In 2012, the percentage raised from 17% to 22%, so we only have a few years to go on with the new level. In 2012, the cut-off was 2 years, 139 days. In 2013, the cut-off was significantly shorter at 2 years, 122 days. The Super Two date will probably be sometime in June. I would expect the Cubs to play it safe with calling up Baez and avoiding the Super Two Status deadline. In fact, I would not be surprised if they wait until after the All-Star Break, July 14th-17th.

A few points:

1. Service time on the 25-man MLB roster dictates when a player is a FA. Super-2 has nothing to do with when a player hits free agency, only when they become more expensive by being arbitration-eligible.

2. Baez & Taveras & all other guys with zero MLB service time already gained the extra year before FA.

3. As you mentioned, Super-2 is a nebulous deadline that changes each year, because the cutoff is different to get to the top 22 percent of players with 2+ years of MLB 25-man roster service time.

4. Even if Taveras gets called up in early June, he could get sent down after the road trip - in which case, Super-2 delay could still happen, but the Cards waiting an extra # days that matches the early June callup.

If he gets the call, then #4 is important to recognize - and I'd be the first to echo that the Cards could play service time games. It's just that if he doesn't get any callup, then there's zero chance to change the FO's mind of waiting for Super-2 delay to pass. So I'll still hope for the early June AL road trip callup, and hope he forces their hand by putting up an incredible Desmond-Jennings-like first week (minus the speed, and talking about his first week up in the MLB when he finally got the call, to be clear LOL).

i know im starting to sound like a broken record here but its a number things guys...no more no less.

it's not super two, it's not OT being lazy or uninterested, its not some conspiracy to ruin his career.

There is simply no where for him to play and they are not calling him up to ride the pine. He will be up some time this year, but it most likely won't until someone hits the DL or they move one of adams/craig (or i guess when the the DH is available, but he will probably be sent back down afterwards).

i know im starting to sound like a broken record here but its a number things guys...no more no less.

it's not super two, it's not OT being lazy or uninterested, its not some conspiracy to ruin his career.

There is simply no where for him to play and they are not calling him up to ride the pine. He will be up some time this year, but it most likely won't until someone hits the DL or they move one of adams/craig (or i guess when the the DH is available, but he will probably be sent back down afterwards).

Other than DH he's been playing CF almost exclusively. Jay & Bourjos time is running out

I don't think Craig/Adams really affect him that much. He's been playing mostly CF over the last few weeks, and with neither Jay or Bourjos doing anything to show they should keep the job, Taveras should be there soon. Since they are this close, they might as well wait for Super 2 to pass for the extra year, but I think you see him shortly after that.

Posted · Hidden by RotoRaysfan, May 26, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by RotoRaysfan, May 26, 2014 - No reason given

Edited by Patrick Bateman, Today, 08:00 PM.

: Stop asking Bench Coach Questions in the wrong forum.

Gimme a break

Super 2 does not give a team an extra year. It makes the player cheaper down the road, but it has zero impact on the time a team will be able to control a player.

I don't think Craig/Adams really affect him that much. He's been playing mostly CF over the last few weeks, and with neither Jay or Bourjos doing anything to show they should keep the job, Taveras should be there soon. Since they are this close, they might as well wait for Super 2 to pass for the extra year, but I think you see him shortly after that.

He's not a CFer or else he would have been called up over Grichuk, who is a CFer.

just sayin

He's not a CFer or else he would have been called up over Grichuk, who is a CFer.

just sayin

I'm not saying he's a natural CFer either, but that is where he's been playing recently, so it certainly seems like they may be preparing him to take over CF for them.

Rotoworld speculating he'll be up by June 4 or even earlier. So it looks like we could see him in a week.