Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Oscar Taveras - OF STL

i know im starting to sound like a broken record here but its a number things guys...no more no less.

it's not super two, it's not OT being lazy or uninterested, its not some conspiracy to ruin his career.

There is simply no where for him to play and they are not calling him up to ride the pine. He will be up some time this year, but it most likely won't until someone hits the DL or they move one of adams/craig (or i guess when the the DH is available, but he will probably be sent back down afterwards).

I don't think Craig/Adams really affect him that much. He's been playing mostly CF over the last few weeks, and with neither Jay or Bourjos doing anything to show they should keep the job, Taveras should be there soon. Since they are this close, they might as well wait for Super 2 to pass for the extra year, but I think you see him shortly after that.

He's not a CFer or else he would have been called up over Grichuk, who is a CFer.

just sayin

I'm not saying he's a natural CFer either, but that is where he's been playing recently, so it certainly seems like they may be preparing him to take over CF for them.

The other guys aren't natural batters which is definitively worse than not being a natural CF.

New question....when this guy comes up, where does he bat in the order?

This is the typical Cards lineup right now...does he go to the 8 spot? Seems like he should be closer to 5 given his skill set, no?

1. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B

2. Kolten Wong (L) 2B

3. Matt Holliday ® LF

4. Matt Adams (L) 1B

5. Yadier Molina ® C

6. Allen Craig ® RF

7. Jhonny Peralta ® SS

8. Jon Jay (L) CF

9. Pitcher

This is the typical Cards lineup right now...does he go to the 8 spot? Seems like he should be closer to 5 given his skill set, no?

1. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B

2. Kolten Wong (L) 2B

3. Matt Holliday ® LF

4. Matt Adams (L) 1B

5. Yadier Molina ® C

6. Allen Craig ® RF

7. Jhonny Peralta ® SS

8. Jon Jay (L) CF

9. Pitcher

I think he will start off in the 8 spot, but I wouldn't be surprised if he actually switches with Wong at some point.

To start, I would guess he splits up the right hand bats in the back of the order, so 6th or 7th.

1. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B

2. Kolten Wong (L) 2B

3. Matt Holliday ® LF

4. Matt Adams (L) 1B

5. Yadier Molina ® C

6. Allen Craig ® RF

7. Jhonny Peralta ® SS

8. Jon Jay (L) CF

9. Pitcher

I think he will start off in the 8 spot, but I wouldn't be surprised if he actually switches with Wong at some point.

Agreed. Shouldn't take long to move up to the 2 spot. Too many vets to jump into the heart of the lineup (3-5) though. Anticipate some growing pains and inconsistencies as well.

With the way Wong is playing right now, I doubt they will make Taveras #2 hitter any time soon.

Taveras has played 228 games at center in the minors, problem is he hasn't done tremendously well a .978 fielding percentage with 11 errors compared to Peter Bourjos with a .991 fielding percentage.

I still think he gets called up cause they need his bat.

Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said Thursday that Matt Adams (calf) is not a candidate for the disabled list "at this point."

If I were Adams I would do anything possible to stay off the DL because it's going to be awfully difficult for him to keep his starting gig when he gets back while Oscar is raking...

Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said Thursday that Matt Adams (calf) is not a candidate for the disabled list "at this point."

If I were Adams I would do anything possible to stay off the DL because it's going to be awfully difficult for him to keep his starting gig when he gets back while Oscar is raking...

Then stick his fat *** in the line-up so he can definitely strain his calf and be a for sure candidate to go on the disabled list.

www.bnd.com/2014/05/29/3230501/the-oscar-taveras-game-isnt-as.html

Interesting article..

www.bnd.com/2014/05/29/3230501/the-oscar-taveras-game-isnt-as.html

Interesting article..

Nothing that hasn't already been said, but definitely needs to be reiterated since people have many different theories as to why he hasn't been called up. It's really that simple.

5 days to go......You boys getting excited? I know I am. Believe!

Just don't go Brett lawrie on us. Knocks on wood.

Of all the guys being called up, this is the one I want, he will be worth the wait. I'm very confident he will make us all proud owners. :)

Can't wait to see you guys in the other forum discussing OT raking like no other. Time is near. I can feel it.

"Cardinals recalled Randal Grichuk from Triple-A Memphis.

Grichuk struggled in a brief audition with the Cards earlier this season, but he's mashed Triple-A pitching to the tune of a .315/.363/.589 batting line with 10 homers and 32 RBI. The young outfielder will give St. Louis another outfield option with Allen Craig having to move in to first base to fill in for Matt Adams (calf). He could also see at-bats early next month when the Cards have seven road interleague games."

All according to the prophecy.. ;)

Why are people saying he'll get the call on Tuesday rather than Monday?

Monday is June 2nd. If all they're waiting on is for the calendar to change to June why not call him up on Sunday or Monday? Am I missing something?

so some of us think he will get the call in the next few days? even when they just called up Grichuk?

Why are people saying he'll get the call on Tuesday rather than Monday?

Monday is June 2nd. If all they're waiting on is for the calendar to change to June why not call him up on Sunday or Monday? Am I missing something?

Super two doesn't work like that. It's not literally June 2nd and you're golden. It's a moving number. Best I can recall super two is limited to players with more than two years service time and less than three. Then the top 22% are arbitration eligible earlier than the rest. What this means, I think, is that teams want their players to be outside of the top 22% of players with greater than 2 yrs time and less than 3 yrs. those in the top 22 become arbitration eligible a year earlier than those outside that range. it changes yearly with the service time of the players who meet this criteria.

I could be wrong about some, or all of this, but this is how I understood super 2 to work.

I think the Grichuk call up lessens the chance of seeing Oscar for the Interleague series. Not sure how much, but I do think it lessens it a bit.

Plus, you have gimpy Matt Adams. Who, if he's not going to be DL'd, could DH. He's missed 3 games now.

Free OSCAR!

im still not understanding why they would call up grichuk over taveras for the interleague games

im still not understanding why they would call up grichuk over taveras for the interleague games

Really.

I'm waiting on Wednesday. I don't care who they call up.