Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Oscar Taveras - OF STL

Starts talking about Taveras around the 13:35 mark

Thanks... And sorry about that, forgot how long the podcast is.

A September call up seems late to me, but I like the chance of someone in that Cardinals outfield getting hurt.

I dunno, I think it probably takes 2 injuries to get him up, and even then, probably only after the super 2 deadline.

beltran is dealing with an injury. holliday has missed sometime and jon jay.....might get a quick call to play in the mlb out of nowhere.

If you had to choose -- all things being equal as in exact same call-up dates -- would you choose Taveras or Wil Myers or a third OF prospect like Yasiel Puig, etc, etc? Which has more power? Which more speed? Which more a balance of both? From what I've read here, Taveras has the power but not the speed? I'm curious especially vs Myers since Yahoo rankings have them listed one right after the other.

And who do you think is more likely coming up first? As in how married are the Cards to Jon Jay if Beltran starts out solid? Or TB getting around to promoting Myers. Or those flush and money flashing new owners in LA wanting to bring up their fancy new prospect. Or Yelich in Miami cause that team is out of contention before Opening Day.

I know the control for an extra year stuff plays into this too but I don't know how or which OF can come up when. Is Taveras having to wait to June or could he come up earlier if Beltran goes down.

All things considered, I believe Taveras is the superior overall prospect. I know Puig is the trendy pick right now, but he's not on par with the other 2....yet. I believe Myers will ultimately hit for more HR than Taveras long term, but I don't think it's by much. Taveras can flat out rake, has at every level, and has an uncanny ability to barrell up the baseball. Even though he's a bit of a free swinger, he makes much more contact than Myers does. Wil will steal more bases and likely have more HR, but Taveras' numbers in his prime will consistenly be (in my opinion) that of a perennial all-star. I worry about Myers' K rate at the MLB level, and don't think his average will ever be high. Puig is intruging, but the sample size is just too small right now to see what he actually can do.

I rank the 4 of them as Taveras, Myers, Puig, then Yelich a little bit lower. Taveras and Puig will put up more homers and Myers and Yelich will steal more. However, Taveras is superior overall to the rest of them.

Posted · Hidden by RotoRaysfan, March 25, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by RotoRaysfan, March 25, 2013 - No reason given

I just drafted Taveras in my keeper league. Myers went at 119, and I landed Taveras at 246, so I think I got good value there. Do you guys think Taveras will be worth keeping in a league where we keep 10 players (with no penalties, so everyone keeps their best)?

with beltran already battling injuries this guy has to be called to the mlb. he already can hit mlb pitching.

with beltran already battling injuries this guy has to be called to the mlb. he already can hit mlb pitching.

they're gonna play him wherever he gets the most at bats, if beltran is injured enough to get taveras the at bats, I think he will be

they could play craig in rf and adams at 1b. i hope they don't though

The kids talent is undeniable but STL is one of those teams that seems to have a lot of guys that are interchangeable.

Does it make sense to have him play a couple of times a week in the bigs or everyday at AAA?

beltran is back in the lineup today. however, holliday is now banged up

The kids talent is undeniable but STL is one of those teams that seems to have a lot of guys that are interchangeable.

Does it make sense to have him play a couple of times a week in the bigs or everyday at AAA?

Everyday at the AAA.

He won't come up to be a benchplayer.

Anyone still holding out hope that he's going to make the Cardinals out of Spring Training can stop hoping. There's an article on the Cardinals' website that says he's already been informed that he will be sent down to AAA today.

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130328&content_id=43453600&notebook_id=43454774&vkey=notebook_stl&c_id=stl

Beltran already playing with a broken toe, shouldn't be too long before the ol fella goes down

Beltran already playing with a broken toe, shouldn't be too long before the ol fella goes down

Would love to see the Cardinals call him up at the end of April similarly to what happened with Harper/Trout last year. In a hypo, what would be a realistic stat line for a May callup? .280, 12 HRs ROS?

I would say that would be the floor for Taveras with an early call up. I can envision something like .295 18-25 HR with consistent playing time with his other #'s good as well(RBI, R, OBP). Its time for the kid to mash major league pitching...nothing left for him to prove at the Triple A level.

I would say that would be the floor for Taveras with an early call up. I can envision something like .295 18-25 HR with consistent playing time with his other #'s good as well(RBI, R, OBP). Its time for the kid to mash major league pitching...nothing left for him to prove at the Triple A level.

That's overly optimistic. First, Taveras has spent zero days in AAA, so the idea he has nothing left to prove is false. He's proven nothing. Second, Taveras really has not hit for a ton of HRs in his career. The 23 he hit last year were by far a career high (he never topped double digits before). He profiles as more of a solid hitter with doubles power initially. The thought is that he would grow into power. While your stat projectionis theoretically possible, I'd say getting a .280, 12 HR line would be pretty good. I'd say his floor is much lower. Your line is more like his ceiling.

He may indeed be ready for the majors, but he's far from a certain return.

Apparently Beltran is really struggling with covering ground in the outfield

Apparently Beltran is really struggling with covering ground in the outfield

You could have written this last year. Or the year before that too. As long as Beltran hits, he plays.