Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Oscar Taveras - OF STL

Was pumped to see what he did tonight then I read this ....

"Cardinals top prospect Oscar Taveras was not scheduled to play in Triple-A Memphis' season opener Friday, as he was traveling back from the Dominican Republic. Taveras recently returned to his home due to a family matter."

Apparently Beltran is really struggling with covering ground in the outfield

You could have written this last year. Or the year before that too. As long as Beltran hits, he plays.

Yeah, well he shouldn't be in the National League, it's ridiculous. He could be costing his teams more runs than providing. He's even slower this year...

Anyways... "Oscar Taveras or Wil Myers" Answer --> "Taveras, and it's not even close"

I have trouble seeing him getting playing time. If Beltran gets hurt, Craig could move to the OF and Matt Adams can go to 1st. If Craig gets injured, Matt Adams fills in.

If Craig moves to the outfield full time he'll get hurt. Not sure they can risk that.

How does taveras compare to the studs that instantly hit like trout, Harper, Braun, miggy, Hanley? Or does his numbers and reports indicate he will be like hosmer with a long steady growth in majors even though he is the major league ready #1? To rephrase when those guys were in the minors they were the clear cut #1 guys so seeing what we saw of them only in the minors how does it compare to what we see of taveras in the minors?

I don't remember Miggy and Hanley being clear cut #1 guys. They were decent prospects with high ceilings, but it I remember correctly, Hanley was not really performing like expected in the minors.

How does taveras compare to the studs that instantly hit like trout, Harper, Braun, miggy, Hanley? Or does his numbers and reports indicate he will be like hosmer with a long steady growth in majors even though he is the major league ready #1? To rephrase when those guys were in the minors they were the clear cut #1 guys so seeing what we saw of them only in the minors how does it compare to what we see of taveras in the minors?

I'll start by saying that the post above mine is correct. Cabrera and Ramirez were never that highly thought of. Braun either. The top ranking Cabrera got by Baseball America was at #12, although that's partly because the last time he was ranked he was playing in A+ bal (at a young age)l. He started the next season in AA and then was in the majors by the all-star break. Braun topped out at #26 by Baseball America (and he was a more polished collegiate player). Ramirez topped out at #10, but actually fell back to #30 before debuting with the Marlins.

To answer the question at hand, Taveras isn't in the class of Harper (a once a decade type prospect) or Trout (pretty elite with great speed). He's probably in the Delmon Young, Jason Heyward, Alex Gordon, Matt Wieters level of prospects. Not that Taveras is the same type player. He gets a lot of comparisons to Vlad Guerrero as a player. Good hit tool. Growing power. Decent athlete, but not a big base stealer. Guerrero hit for more power in the minors, but it's a reason comp. Guerrero hit 11 HRs his first season (which was more like 2/3 of a season). I can see Taveras hitting for a good avergae, but not doing a ton in the power or steals department.

I have trouble seeing him getting playing time. If Beltran gets hurt, Craig could move to the OF and Matt Adams can go to 1st. If Craig gets injured, Matt Adams fills in.

This happens before Taveras is called up and needs Adams to cool down some and Craig to heat up back to normal levels.

I'll start by saying that the post above mine is correct. Cabrera and Ramirez were never that highly thought of. Braun either. The top ranking Cabrera got by Baseball America was at #12, although that's partly because the last time he was ranked he was playing in A+ bal (at a young age)l. He started the next season in AA and then was in the majors by the all-star break. Braun topped out at #26 by Baseball America (and he was a more polished collegiate player). Ramirez topped out at #10, but actually fell back to #30 before debuting with the Marlins.

To answer the question at hand, Taveras isn't in the class of Harper (a once a decade type prospect) or Trout (pretty elite with great speed). He's probably in the Delmon Young, Jason Heyward, Alex Gordon, Matt Wieters level of prospects. Not that Taveras is the same type player. He gets a lot of comparisons to Vlad Guerrero as a player. Good hit tool. Growing power. Decent athlete, but not a big base stealer. Guerrero hit for more power in the minors, but it's a reason comp. Guerrero hit 11 HRs his first season (which was more like 2/3 of a season). I can see Taveras hitting for a good avergae, but not doing a ton in the power or steals department.

This is a pretty solid post, and pretty close to my take on Oscar. However, I think the power will play more than people think. I look at him as a 30HR guy annually....but it may not come as much early as we'd like. The hit tool though....that will play right out of the gate.

he's projected to be a 30-35 homer guy in his prime.

Why can't real baseball be more like fantasy with the trades. Profar for OT is a no brainer for both these teams in real life. Sure the cards can worry about an outfield injury but with matt Adams on the bench its really going to take two injuries for Oscar to be up. Unless cards deal holliday or Beltran for profar. Which is a good option as well.

when are they going to call this guy up!!??? I need him now that Cespedes is on the DL.

I hate hoping for a player to get injured (Nothing career threatening...just a nagging injury to get this guy to The Show) but I really want Taveras to get called up. Have him sitting on the bench for my keeper league.

he's projected to be a 30-35 homer guy in his prime.

I could see that being possible in his prime. I was speaking more towards right now. I don't expect much power or steals. Like Guerrero, its possibel that Taveras strings together a few high steal seasons, but likely won't be more than about 10-15 a year.

Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes that the Cardinals "aren't going to trade outfield prospect Oscar Taveras to Texas" for Jurickson Profar.

Also states they don't even know if its been discussed.

THIS IS PURE SPECULATION ON MY PART, but i would not be the least bit surprised to see OT called up after the super 2 deadline.

Jon Jay simply is not getting it done.

THIS IS PURE SPECULATION ON MY PART, but i would not be the least bit surprised to see OT called up after the super 2 deadline.

Jon Jay simply is not getting it done.

Which would be when?

It makes you ponder how close a call up may be, Jay is sitting again today. No news he is injured either.

It makes you ponder how close a call up may be, Jay is sitting again today. No news he is injured either.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Jay probably gets another shot before the kid gets the call but if you've got a roster spot then it may be time.

Man I sure need some lightning in a bottle on a couple teams.

I really don't think its much longer for Taveras. Cardinals aren't one of those teams that leak their info a lot so when it happens it will be quick. Jay's defense and offense have been sub-par at best to this point.