Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Oscar Taveras - OF STL

From STL, so I watch every single Cardinal game...

I think Jay's leash is a lot longer than you are all giving him credit for.

Last year he was very good. He played gold-glove caliber defense, hit 305 with a 373 On-Base, had 19 Steals, 70 Runs.

He was also good in 2011. Not GREAT, but pretty good on a team where he doesn't have to be a huge piece.

That said, Shane Robinson sucks, and is an easy choice to send down. But, it goes back to the "Is he going to get enough ABs" argument.

Holliday, Beltran, Jay, and then you have to get Adams at bats when he's healthy, so that's another body in the OF (Craig).

I don't think they're going to call him up to start 1-2 times a week, and PH.

THIS IS PURE SPECULATION ON MY PART, but i would not be the least bit surprised to see OT called up after the super 2 deadline.

Jon Jay simply is not getting it done.

Which would be when?

There's no set deadline. But somewhere between late June and the All-Star break is considered "safe".

Last year he was very good. He played gold-glove caliber defense, hit 305 with a 373 On-Base, had 19 Steals, 70 Runs.

He was also good in 2011. Not GREAT, but pretty good on a team where he doesn't have to be a huge piece.

That said, Shane Robinson sucks, and is an easy choice to send down. But, it goes back to the "Is he going to get enough ABs" argument.

Holliday, Beltran, Jay, and then you have to get Adams at bats when he's healthy, so that's another body in the OF (Craig).

I watch a lot of Cards games myself and I tend to agree that Jay will get another shot, maybe even a few more weeks, at righting the ship. However if he doesn't I don't think the Cards can afford to have an OF of Holliday, Beltran and Craig which would be the case if they moved Adams to 1B. That might the worst defensive OF in MLB so I think Tavaras gets the call if/when they decide Jay cant cut it.

Jay's had a pretty long leash as it is.

Now, Oscar isn't exactly tearing it up right now, but once he starts to heat up, I would not be surprised to see a call up. The cards know what they've got in Jay and that's a 4th or 5th outfielder tops.

I like and respect jay alot, but he's not gonna win you many ball games (with the exception of the other night when he made that nice run saving diving catch). While Oscar isnt going to be a gold glove CFer, he can give you comparable defense plus a much better arm, something jay is severely lacking.

It's really only a matter of time. The cards can afford at the moment to be patient because they are on quite a roll, but you can only go so far with ajy + robinson platoon.

Ideally they deal Beltran throw Craig in right Adams at first call up OT to play center and jay is the utility guy when an outfielder needs a day off

I agree here, but when Craig does play OF he doesn't play center right? Doesn't he usually just take the place of Beltran

I know some people don't like comparing players, but is there anyone who he is comparable to? What's his ceiling in a keeper league?

I know some people don't like comparing players, but is there anyone who he is comparable to? What's his ceiling in a keeper league?

I haven't watched him enough but stat wise I think his stats could be like a healthy Beltran. Not to many steals, but he could get to 15-20 with a good average and solid power.

Hitting .263 with one homer in the PCL..weeeeeeeee!

Matt Adams to DL with oblique strain. I think this is going to clearly demonstrate the Cards' intentions to keep him down until Super 2 passes. We shall see, though...

He's a bum :P

not yet...

"UT infielder Jermaine Curtis is coming up from Class AAA Memphis"

not yet...

"UT infielder Jermaine Curtis is coming up from Class AAA Memphis"

https://twitter.com/...864160081821696

When I saw Adams got sent to the DL I was stalking twitter seeing if I could see about a move. By not calling up Taveres now I think it means that he will spend more time in the minors until the Super 2 date passes, and that they have some more faith in Jay.

he's drawn comparisons to vlad

his build looks a lot like a young vlad. i think that's a pretty good comp, and i'm sure all owners would be thrilled if he lived up to it.

i'd say he has better plate discipline, as it's almost impossible to not to.

John Mozeliak (cards gm) on OT:

– On whether he agrees with national media comparisons of Cardinals outfield prospect Oscar Taveras with former big-league standout Vladimir Guerrero: “I understand the comparison. Both are from the Dominican Republic. Guerrero was a free swinger, though I think Taveras is a little more disciplined. But, with Oscar at age 20, I think of two other hitters: Albert Pujols and J.D. Drew. Then there’s Oscar.”

– On the progress of Taveras and two other premier Cardinals prospects, pitcher Michael Wacha and second baseman Kolten Wong: “These guys are major-league ready. We just don’t have a spot for them … My job is to create opportunities for these guys. We’re not afraid to promote from within.”

John Mozeliak (cards gm) on OT:

– On whether he agrees with national media comparisons of Cardinals outfield prospect Oscar Taveras with former big-league standout Vladimir Guerrero: “I understand the comparison. Both are from the Dominican Republic. Guerrero was a free swinger, though I think Taveras is a little more disciplined. But, with Oscar at age 20, I think of two other hitters: Albert Pujols and J.D. Drew. Then there’s Oscar.”

– On the progress of Taveras and two other premier Cardinals prospects, pitcher Michael Wacha and second baseman Kolten Wong: “These guys are major-league ready. We just don’t have a spot for them … My job is to create opportunities for these guys. We’re not afraid to promote from within.”

I think the most telling part of that quote is "These guys are major league ready". Kudos to Mozeliak for being honest. I may have to stash OT this week.

Surprised Beltran, Craig, or Jay haven't gone down yet. Cards are one of the most injury-prone teams in baseball, Oscar should get his chance soon.

Oscar Taveras has been labeled as and projected to be many things. Jermaine Curtis, who was called up from Triple-A on Friday, added another item to the list.

"The gift of baseball," is what Curtis called Taveras, who had been Curtis' Memphis teammate for the first three weeks of the season. Curtis also played with the 20-year-old outfielder in Double-A last season.

"He's one of the best hitters I've seen in my day," Curtis added. "Oscar Taveras is one talented kid. You guys will definitely see him play."

The way the Cards are hitting now (Jon Jay and David Freese in particular) they could really use a spark. Mozeliak's recent quote combined with the Cards traditionally not worrying too much about arbitration dates lead me to believe OT's call-up is at least being internally discussed. Pure speculation on my part but I picked OT up and stashed him on my bench.

Kid doesn't walk, nor K, 76ab, 4bb's and only 9 K's. hitting .289 but only 5 xbh's out of 22 hits.slugging .408 with a .325obp. He has a very bright future, but I think the Cards are going to let him work on a few things while delaying his clock. Playing the way the Cards are at the moment, and having their core players healthy, they can afford to let the kid develop a bit more.

June?

Kid doesn't walk, nor K, 76ab, 4bb's and only 9 K's. hitting .289 but only 5 xbh's out of 22 hits.slugging .408 with a .325obp. He has a very bright future, but I think the Cards are going to let him work on a few things while delaying his clock. Playing the way the Cards are at the moment, and having their core players healthy, they can afford to let the kid develop a bit more.

June?

That's why I thinkthe Vlad comparison is so spot on. His plate discipline has shown to be a mirror of Vlad's. The lack of K only reinforces his ability to be like Vlad.

June?

Probably a good guess, By then, Jay should be hitting about .150... :rolleyes:

June?

Probably a good guess, By then, Jay should be hitting about .150... :rolleyes:

I dont think they can wait that long. He had 42 Walks in 124 games last season at AA which pro-rated over 162 games is 55. Not a bad number really.