Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Oscar Taveras - OF STL

I'm not saying his lack of walks is the reason to keep him down, it's all aspects of the game, and unless they intend on playing him full time, he's better off further developing his game in the minors where he'll see everyday AB's. The team is currently in first, not by much, but they don't 'need" him as of now, so why not let him develop even more? Hone his game so to speak, so when he does get the call, he can hit the field running, not sit and wait like they were doing with Adams, albeit, Adams doesn't have anything more to prove in the minors, whereas, Taveras does to a degree.

Just a matter of time for the kid, patience grasshopper, patience. this is a marathon game, not a sprint

If it ain't broke... Cards are playing well. All these guys saying that they should sit Beltran or trade him. Good God. Beltran continuously put up numbers from one team to another. That's a pro right there and Taveras would be considered a success if his numbers matches Carlos'. Jay on the other hand will hit better than this. When I'm watching games, I have upmost confidence in Jay out in center.

Taveras isn't coming up anytime soon. (unless injuries.)

I'm not saying his lack of walks is the reason to keep him down, it's all aspects of the game, and unless they intend on playing him full time, he's better off further developing his game in the minors where he'll see everyday AB's. The team is currently in first, not by much, but they don't 'need" him as of now, so why not let him develop even more? Hone his game so to speak, so when he does get the call, he can hit the field running, not sit and wait like they were doing with Adams, albeit, Adams doesn't have anything more to prove in the minors, whereas, Taveras does to a degree.

Just a matter of time for the kid, patience grasshopper, patience. this is a marathon game, not a sprint

I see what you're saying, but when the Cards GM says he's major league-ready, I doubt the team thinks an extra month or two months of at bats will do much for his development. And it won't.

He is heating up, went 2/3 with home run and 3 rbi's last night.

Also, he has only k'd 9 times in 80 ab's.

Card sent Boggs down today with no official corresponding move yet. Seems likely to be a pitcher (John Gast) but we can all hope its OT!

Card sent Boggs down today with no official corresponding move yet. Seems likely to be a pitcher (John Gast) but we can all hope its OT!

No chance unless they're prepared to make Jay a bench player, which they're not. He's not coming up until he can be an everyday starter for the club.

No chance unless they're prepared to make Jay a bench player, which they're not. He's not coming up until he can be an everyday starter for the club.

I don't think they would hesitate to make Jay a bench player. Long term his role is a 4th outfielder who they could bring in for defense late in games to replace either Beltran or Holliday. It may not be now but that is Jay's destiny.

He is heating up, went 2/3 with home run and 3 rbi's last night.

Also, he has only k'd 9 times in 80 ab's.

yup, his slash line (ie .313/.360/.475) is looking pretty right now and over his last 10 it's .353/.421/.588.

It's insane how little he strikes out...very impressed with that.

I don't think they would hesitate to make Jay a bench player. Long term his role is a 4th outfielder who they could bring in for defense late in games to replace either Beltran or Holliday. It may not be now but that is Jay's destiny.

I agree, but they absolutely need Jay in the outfield with Beltran and Holliday being old and slower. Taveras playing his way into the lineup is definitely inevitable, though. Sorry Jon Jay.

4-5, 2B, HR (4), 3 RBI, 2 R, avg up to .319

Please just call him up. Even if he doesn't get on my fantasy team I just want to see what this kid can do in the major league level.

Left the game with an ankle Injury?

Nothing yet?

Only thing I'm hoping is that since they took him out in the ninth it was more of a precautionary thing.

Nothing yet?

Only thing I'm hoping is that since they took him out in the ninth it was more of a precautionary thing.

Reports are saying he was having trouble walking off the field. In pain after stealing 2nd base and needed to be helped off the field.

Nothing yet?

Reports are saying he was having trouble walking off the field. In pain after stealing 2nd base and needed to be helped off the field.

That's not good. It'd be a shame if this puts him out a little bit. I was looking forward to seeing him soon in the majors.

initial word per Joe Strauss and Derrick Goold on Twitter....no break. no DL yet. day to day. everyone can exhale....

Who would have thought Taveras gets hurt before Beltran? Day to day is good to hear.

Everyone is comparing this to the Reyes injury. If that's the case......

Link?

Cardinals Beat writer says..."Taveras day to day with right ankle injury. X-Rays taken and no fracture found, per official."

http://hardballtalk....s-ankle-injury/

In the comment section there...

"Just because he didn’t suffer a fracture doesn’t rule out a potentially serious injury. Taveras slid into 2nd on a successful SB attempt and appeared to get his right foot stuck under his body just as he approached the bag. Taveras couldn’t put any weight on the right side of his body and he appeared to be in a great deal of pain as a coach helped him off the field. It looked eerily similar to the Jose Reyes injury. Like Taveras, Reyes’ x-ray came back clean, but an MRI revealed a severe sprain and he was declared out for 3 months by Blue Jays management. I’m guessing we won’t see Taveras on a minor league diamond until at least mid-June as the Cardinals are sure to err on the side of extreme caution with their prized prospect. This would seemingly push back a promotion to the big leagues even further, particularly if Craig, Adams and Beltran avoid serious injuries."