Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

Trevor Bauer SP CLE

Corbin got rocked today, now has an ERA of 7 and a whip of 2. This has to be good news for Bauer, right?

Corbin got rocked today, now has an ERA of 7 and a whip of 2. This has to be good news for Bauer, right?

That's wrong. DBacks only needed one of Miley or Corbin to succeed for Bauer not to get the call. Hudson will be back soon so Corbin will be sent back down while Miley will continue to start for Collmenter. Thinking of dropping Bauer in my redraft league.

That's wrong. DBacks only needed one of Miley or Corbin to succeed for Bauer not to get the call. Hudson will be back soon so Corbin will be sent back down while Miley will continue to start for Collmenter. Thinking of dropping Bauer in my redraft league.

Miley's not going to succeed either. I called Corbin getting rocked in his ML thread, and Miley will prove to be a bullpen/AAA arm for this year. D'Backs will call up Bauer if they intend to contend this season.

Another absolutely dominant outing by this kid...so far, he's one-hitting his opponent through six without relying too much on the punchout. Problem is his walk rate continues to be garbage, which may keep the D-Backs hesitant even if Miley does begin to struggle.

He needs to work on his control, what worries me is that he doesn't sound like he thinks he has to. Not sure if anyone saw his tweets about Nolan Ryan a few weeks ago, where he noted that Ryan led the league in walks and he's in the Hall of Fame.

Oh, I didn't see that he only had 4 K's...that seems a bit low for him since he seems to notch a solid 7+ each outing. But I guess he's entitled to an off night as long as he's still finding ways to get outs; I'm glad he doesn't seem like a one-trick pony that struggles every time he doesn't have his best stuff.

That would be a bit alarming if he feels like he can get away with these walks at the MLB level...with that mentality he'd be lucky to have a Burnett-esque big league career. I hope he isn't going to shrug this issue off like it's nothing...

A lot of people have criticized him on Twitter for continuing to walk so many batters and he does seem to bristle at that criticism but he does so while making several good points.

Here's a series of tweets from Bauer after being asked "groin still bothering you? Great start but a lot of walks."

Trevor Bauer@BauerOutage

y do people look at an outing like that and focus on the walks? Hey guys! Breaking news! I'm not perfect! Haha groin is good tho

to expand on the walks though, 3 of them were a result of me being very aggressive trying to punch guy out and them fouling off really good pitches. I can live with those and they don't worry me at all. I only had 1 bad walk in my opinion tonight.

and once again, look how many of my walks actually scored

that's what we're in this game for correct? Putting 0s on the board? Getting w's for the team? I'm doing a decent job of that

He makes a few good points here. His walks haven't gotten him into a whole lot of trouble so far. He's 6-1, and he has allowed 0 or 1 ER in 5 of his 7 starts. He's been hit hard only once. I know the concern is that if he's walking this many batters at AA, it will only get worse in MLB, and the higher level of competition will make him pay for his mistakes that much more. I understand that, but at the same time, how can he worry about what might or might not happen if/when he gets to the Show? For now, he's dominating AA. He has a sub-2.00 ERA and 51 Ks in 41 IP. Opponents are hitting .188 against him. Walks are bad for pitchers, because they tend to lead to trouble, but it seems like Bauer is a smart pitcher who understands that in some situations walking a batter is better than throwing him something he can crush.

Here's a response to someone who asked his to clarify what he considers a "bad walk" - "would you consider a bad walk being were youre pitching from behind inthe count the whole time?"

Trevor Bauer@BauerOutage

consider the situation in the game and how competitive the at bat was. 4 pitch Leadoff walk = bad. Second and third 1 out maybe not

He doesn't LIKE walking batters, but he's willing to accept a walk if it's a competitive at bat and the batter works for it.

I have a lot of respect for his accessibility/willingness to answer questions/criticisms, and I think his perspective on pitching shows a lot of intelligence and an understanding of the big picture. If he keeps throwing up 0s and putting his team in position to win games, I think the DBacks would be smart to leave him alone and let him do his thing. Until/unless it becomes a problem, there's no need to harp on the walks and make that a major sticking point to his future promotion. He knows what he's doing.

He refuses to throw the ball right down the middle. Has given up only 1 homer with his methods and only 27 hits in 41 1/3 IP.

He refuses to throw the ball right down the middle. Has given up only 1 homer with his methods and only 27 hits in 41 1/3 IP.

That is all well and good, but are the Dbacks on board and will they call him up soon, or are they waiting for him to get his walks down?

That could lead to trouble in MLB as umps will make him throw strikes. One of the reasons why young pitchers get burned so much early in their career.

Will Bauer be called up this season? If so, when do you forsee him being called up? I've got an extra bench spot that I really don't need and thought about using it on Bauer or Shelby Miller.

Will Bauer be called up this season? If so, when do you forsee him being called up? I've got an extra bench spot that I really don't need and thought about using it on Bauer or Shelby Miller.

Read the previous 11 pages. It's all speculation

Definitely all just speculation but to summarize: after Kennedy, Cahill, and Hudson (when he comes back) the D'Backs don't really have 2 guys who should keep Bauer out of the rotation all year. Saunders had a surprisingly awesome month of April (0.90 ERA) but he's already seen that number rise to 2.50 after his 2 starts in May. Wade Miley has been very solid, but a quick glance at his minor league stats tells me he's pitching quite a bit over his head. Patrick Corbin was called up and has made two starts but he's sporting an ERA of 7.00 and a WHIP of 2.00 so far. None of these guys possess Bauer's upside, so if any of them continue to struggle and if this team intends to compete for the NL West crown I think they'll give Bauer a shot.

The dark horse in all of this is Tyler Skaggs, who had a 4.24 ERA in 4 April starts, but has thrown 9 shutout innings so far in May to bring his ERA down to 3.06 for the year. He's shown similar strikeout potential to Bauer's (43 Ks in 32.1 IP) and has only walked 7 batters. If the D'Backs really are going to put that much emphasis on Bauer's walks, Skaggs could get the call first. Which would suck because I've been holding Bauer all season. The flip side of this is that Skaggs hasn't been added to the Diamondbacks 40 man roster yet, while Bauer has. Unlike several pages ago in this thread, the Diamondbacks no longer have open spots on the 40 man (http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=ari) so calling up Skaggs ahead of Bauer would be an unnecessarily complicated maneuver I think.

He can get away with lots of stuff in the minors that he cannot in the bigs. Those stranded walks will score in MLB. 2 walks, one straight fastball hit over the fence = 3 runs.

He can get away with lots of stuff in the minors that he cannot in the bigs. Those stranded walks will score in MLB. 2 walks, one straight fastball hit over the fence = 3 runs.

The thing is he won't throw a straight fastball down the middle, and almost all the hits he has given up are singles

I'm beginning to wonder if it really is a control issue or more of an "approach" issue as others have stated. Honestly, I think it's good pitching if Bauer has 2 outs, nobody on, and a 3-1 count for example to throw a quality pitcher's pitch, rather than groove a fastball over the middle. One way or another, we'll see if this works for him, so while the free passes have me nervous, the more I hear about Bauer's approach to pitching/situations, the less I'm worried.

7 ip 0 er and a 9-1 k/bb ratio... too bad corbin didnt get rocked today or he would have gotten the call... he needs an injury to happen in order to be called up before mid june.

7 ip 0 er and a 9-1 k/bb ratio... too bad corbin didnt get rocked today or he would have gotten the call... he needs an injury to happen in order to be called up before mid june.

He'd need 2 cause Hudson is on his way back

He'd need 2 cause Hudson is on his way back

I disagree. Bauer was signed to a major league deal and added to the 40 man roster immediately. He's a much better prospect than Corbin and/or Miley. He could easily replace one of them as the 5th starter with the better of the two becoming the long man in the pen. Once the Diamondbacks get serious about winning they will give Bauer the call.

I disagree. Bauer was signed to a major league deal and added to the 40 man roster immediately. He's a much better prospect than Corbin and/or Miley. He could easily replace one of them as the 5th starter with the better of the two becoming the long man in the pen. Once the Diamondbacks get serious about winning they will give Bauer the call.

Sucks because both Corbin and Miley are pitching way over their heads.

Once the Diamondbacks get serious about winning they will give Bauer the call.

More like once the diamondbacks believe Bauer is ready he'll get the call. He has to stop walking so many batters before that happens. On top of the walks, he also averages a wild pitch a game...which only really counts as a stat when runners are on. Last night was a step in the right direction, but I'm beginning to wonder if this season is a lost cause in hoping he'll get any significant IP.

I've never seen Bauer pitch, but he sounds like a high K high BB kind of guy. Are there any pitchers you guys can liken him too? Thanks for your insights.