Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

Trevor Bauer SP CLE

This is the third time this thread has veered off course. The trade talks are extremely unwarranted.

Considering this is the third public warning to get back on track, further heedlessness will result in this topic being locked until Bauer is called up.

Let's not make this difficult, please. Thanks.

Well...the major question right now...and the one that really determines his value especially for non keeper leaguers (fwiw, not me)...is when will he be called up. Since is he road blocked, the natural thought process is who will be traded to open up a spot. I'm not trying to antagonize, but we already know "how great this guy is going to be", so the main thing left is to talk about when he'll be called up. Unless we're talking about his walks and wild pitches and who wants to talk about that? If talk about his spot opening up is taken away from the discussion in this thread, where are we to discuss it?

General trade talks are fine, as there are indeed roadblocks in Bauer's way. However, there is no inkling of an indication that Bauer himself is a trade candidate, and discussing such a circumstance is nothing short of unproductive.

You're misinterpreting my post, so please re-read it.

I never said he was... I even preceded the comment by saying I didn't think it was going to happen. There's no difference in my comment and 90% of the other babble that goes on in the MLB player pages. At any rate, point understood. I just wanted to determine what was acceptable and what wasn't before it gets buried by several pages. Don't be so harsh :P

This is the third time this thread has veered off course. The trade talks are extremely unwarranted.

Considering this is the third public warning to get back on track, further heedlessness will result in this topic being locked until Bauer is called up.

Well...the major question right now...and the one that really determines his value especially for non keeper leaguers (fwiw, not me)...is when will he be called up. Since is he road blocked, the natural thought process is who will be traded to open up a spot. I'm not trying to antagonize, but we already know "how great this guy is going to be", so the main thing left is to talk about when he'll be called up. Unless we're talking about his walks and wild pitches and who wants to talk about that? If talk about his spot opening up is taken away from the discussion in this thread, where are we to discuss it?

General trade talks are fine, as there are indeed roadblocks in Bauer's way. However, there is no inkling of an indication that Bauer himself is a trade candidate, and discussing such a circumstance is nothing short of unproductive.

You're misinterpreting my post, so please re-read it.

I never said he was... I even preceded the comment by saying I didn't think it was going to happen. There's no difference in my comment and 90% of the other babble that goes on in the MLB player pages. At any rate, point understood. I just wanted to determine what was acceptable and what wasn't before it gets buried by several pages. Don't be so harsh :P

I'm not sure what your point is. Are you intentionally contributing to the cesspool of "babble"? If you don't think Bauer being traded is likely, then you were baiting. Either way, let's move on and discuss things that are plausible:

- Bauer's ETA

- Bauer's prowess in MiLB

- Bauer's advantages (K-rate, H/9, HR/9, etc.) vs. his shortcomings (primarily BB/9)

- His impact in the MLB

- Candidates who serve as realistic trade chips to open up room

Basically, anything that isn't related to Bauer himself being on the trade block. The last two times it happened, the back-and-forth went on for pages (all the posts in question are invisible); this was a preemptive strike to prevent the same from recurring.

Hope this helps and you understand. Thanks.

You must have removed some posts because all I can see is talk about Trevor Bauer. Why would you even contemplate locking this thread? It's a healthy discussion regarding one of the top prospects in the game and his inevitable call-up. If you're talking about people mentioning that Saunders is on the trading block, that directly impacts Trevor Bauer and should ABSOLUTELY be mentioned and digested within the confines of the Trevor Bauer thread.

You must have removed some posts because all I can see is talk about Trevor Bauer. Why would you even contemplate locking this thread? It's a healthy discussion regarding one of the top prospects in the game and his inevitable call-up. If you're talking about people mentioning that Saunders is on the trading block, that directly impacts Trevor Bauer and should ABSOLUTELY be mentioned and digested within the confines of the Trevor Bauer thread.

Your first sentence is correct. Regardless, let's move on because this call for order is, ironically, creating more confusion and achieving nothing.

I made a comment that I wondered why the DBacks didn't consider trading Bauer instead of trading someone above him to fill his place. It was pure speculation and was just a comment made out of the air. Though I feel my comment isn't different than any of the other trade comments created out of thin air in this thread, I never intended to start back and forth...really. What I did want is to determine afterwords is what was acceptable and what wasn't which has been clearly stated. Let's move on.

anyone know his first strike percentage? if his FPS percentage is good, high walks are likely just another indicator of his being a little bit of an oddball. Hes adamant on not giving in and just "grooving" a fastball no matter the count. A change in philosophy once he hits the major leagues could be just what the kid needs. Thus far he hasn't needed to adjust since even high level minor league guys aren't working him the same way. Its tough to agree to change your approach on the mound when what you are doing is successful, not matter what coaches are telling you. Its a results driven league and until the results (i.e. low ERA, FIP, etc.) stop coming he likely wont change. I doubt its more then a whisper in his ear from the coaches at this point.

these BB/9 talks are out of control for a strikeout pitcher. so the guy walks instead of grooving in a 3-1 meatball to somebody. he rarely gives up more than a few hits, so his whip is still reasonable, would they rather him have a higher ERA but only 2.05 BB/9?

these BB/9 talks are out of control for a strikeout pitcher. so the guy walks instead of grooving in a 3-1 meatball to somebody. he rarely gives up more than a few hits, so his whip is still reasonable, would they rather him have a higher ERA but only 2.05 BB/9?

The difference between giving up hits vs walking people is the high pitch count. 105 pitches thru 5 innings is not gonna cut it in the bigs. Giving up a single on a 1-1 count is a lot better than a 6 or 7 pitch walk

The difference between giving up hits vs walking people is the high pitch count. 105 pitches thru 5 innings is not gonna cut it in the bigs. Giving up a single on a 1-1 count is a lot better than a 6 or 7 pitch walk

Bauer isn't the average pitcher in terms of his stamina. He's known for being a very durable guy with a delivery similar to Lincecum that conserves his arm strength by creating most of his velocity with torque. He has the ability to throw 120-130 if need be, so he can probably last an inning longer than most pitchers.

With the close watch on pitch counts and being in the NL (without the DH) doubt they let him throw 120 plus pitches like he did in every college start.

As per mlbtraderumors.com -

"The Diamondbacks are 'in no rush' to promote

Trevor Bauer, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic

notes. Bauer visited with some Diamondbacks officials yesterday to familiarize himself with the organization. But the team is ' not trying to clone people here' GM Kevin Towers said in reference to Bauer’s quirks."

This is getting ridiculous. Just drop Saunders...I doubt anyone would even pick up that bum off waivers.

This is getting ridiculous. Just drop Saunders...I doubt anyone would even pick up that bum off waivers.

maybe not waivers (not sure how much his contract is) but he'll be picked up in a heartbeat. He may be average but lefty inning eaters than can provide an ERA under 4 (two yrs in a row) dont grow on trees.

saunders last minute scratch?

good catch, maybe a trade?

full disclosure, i dropped him today(!) but i am reading that bauer is set to play in the futures game. that is july 8th. i suppose a trade would change things, but that seems to be consistent with what we heard earlier...he's not moving up imminently

full disclosure, i dropped him today(!) but i am reading that bauer is set to play in the futures game. that is july 8th. i suppose a trade would change things, but that seems to be consistent with what we heard earlier...he's not moving up imminently

The Futures Game is irrelevant. If the D-Backs need him sooner than that, pitching in an All-Star game isn't going to matter. Similarly, if they want to wait, it won't be because of the Futures game.

I'm wondering why exactly Saunders was scratched, that's a potentially big development.

Definitely something fishy with Saunders. Either a trade is being hammered out (most likely w/ the sox for Youk as I predicted earlier in the thread on pg 22) or Bauer has some bearing on this situation. Either way, color me optimistic.

yeah i feel like if they just give this guy the call they won't be able to send him back down due to the hype that he'll generate