Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

Trevor Bauer SP CLE

Miley will take Collmenters spot first. Management knows what they have in Bauer and are going to bring him along the correct way.

June or July is when we should see Bauer. We all know the money aspect and the service clock.

FISH ON!!

Even Mayo said today that Bauer is real close to getting his shot.

Where was this?

Where was this?

On todays rundown on mlb network

Not doubting he said it, but of the minor league experts out there, Goldstein and Parks at BP, Law on ESPN, Callis and Co. at Baseball America, I think Mayo is by far the worst.

Not doubting he said it, but of the minor league experts out there, Goldstein and Parks at BP, Law on ESPN, Callis and Co. at Baseball America, I think Mayo is by far the worst.

Agree on Mayo, but Law has spoke glowingly about Bauer in recent weeks. I wouldn't get worked up over his last start at all. This kid knows what he is doing and if there's anyone who will study what went wrong and fix it I'm putting my money on Bauer.

To avoid missing discussion on Bauer, copy/pasted from Skaggs thread:

I like Skaggs' long-term future as a potential ace - but before people continue the debate about Skaggs vs. Corbin vs. Bauer on the next spot - keep in mind the fact that only Bauer is on the 40-man roster - most teams have full 40-man rosters, and so would have to cut someone from their 40-man roster through waivers to bypass Bauer with Skaggs/Corbin. Now, if a team put someone on the 60-day DL, that creates space too, but right now there isn't anyone who fits the bill. So, normally, you're looking at having to cut someone off your organization to bypass Bauer.

Now, in ARI's case, they only have 37 guys on the roster - so they could add either Corbin or Skaggs to the 40-man roster without having to waive anyone. The fact they haven't, however - that suggests quite strongly they don't want to do it yet (because once they do it, they start the "options" <ability to call up a player and send them back down without having to use waivers> clock).

It doesn't guarantee Bauer will get the nod - but it gives him a HUGE advantage so long as he's the only one on the 40-man roster. Since the Snakes have the room, it would seem a no-brainer to add either Corbin or Skaggs to the 40-man roster without having to waive anyone (since the Snakes have 37 guys on the 40-man roster). But, even with 3 empty spots, the Snakes haven't added either Corbin or Skaggs - which makes you have to think the Snakes see Bauer as Plan A, at least for the time being. It's not even a question of who is more ready - it's just the business of baseball taking over - ARI having open spots but not adding Skaggs or Corbin suggests they want to save the option years for both guys <which only starts once they are on the 40-man roster>) - which really seems to suggest Bauer is Plan A so far).

http://arizona.diamo...an.jsp?c_id=ari (updated 40-man roster for confirmation).

And in the interests of full disclosure, I'm a redraft and dynasty Bauer owner. So, obviously, I'd like the above to play out. However, I think it's fair to say the fact the Snakes haven't committed to putting either Corbin or Skaggs on the 40-man roster indicates they certainly aren't committed to Skaggs/Corbin as the next plan when Collmenter fails / someone else gets hurt.

FYI THERE IS NO LONG MLB SERVICE CLOCK ANYMORE. In the new CBA they changed it so teams can't just keep guys who are MLB ready in the minors for extended time to save money. The service time thing so teams can get extra year of service is like 2 weeks now. It has, or will pass any day now. Keep that in mind as we may see young guys coming up sooner than in years past due to this.

FYI THERE IS NO LONG MLB SERVICE CLOCK ANYMORE. In the new CBA they changed it so teams can't just keep guys who are MLB ready in the minors for extended time to save money. The service time thing so teams can get extra year of service is like 2 weeks now. It has, or will pass any day now. Keep that in mind as we may see young guys coming up sooner than in years past due to this.

What is the basis for this? The new CBA actually increases the threshold for Super 2 Status from 15% to 22%, which would suggest longer marinating time in minors to avoid Super 2. While we don't know how clubs will react, I don't think the concept of a service clock is completely dead.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/cba-details-luxury-tax-draft-.html

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111122&content_id=26025138&vkey=pr_mlb&c_id=mlb

What is the basis for this? The new CBA actually increases the threshold for Super 2 Status from 15% to 22%, which would suggest longer marinating time in minors to avoid Super 2. While we don't know how clubs will react, I don't think the concept of a service clock is completely dead.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/cba-details-luxury-tax-draft-.html

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111122&content_id=26025138&vkey=pr_mlb&c_id=mlb

Lockey is actually right, I was fed wrong information, I apologize. Upon further research the cut off date is now unknown. Some speculate mid to late June now. Not sure how this will effect call ups this year now.

Colimenter, surprise, got wrecked again tonight. In roughly 2 weeks Bauer will have a favorable service time situation for a callup. Stay tuned.

Miley getting lit up too

Yeah, this might be even better. Collmenter is a garbage pitcher so it's pretty likely he's going to lose his spot regardless. It will be great for Bauer's chances if Miley starts struggling as well.

Bauer won't be called up until he gets his walks down. Last night was Collmenter's best start anyway. So I am pretty sure he will get at least another

FWIW, I think Bauer is indeed next in line, too (as evidenced by my earlier post). But let's also recognize that no matter how talented a SP is, there is simply no way they can survive with walking a guy every other inning (let alone 12 BB's in 15+ IP).

I agree with the CW that Collmenter's clock is ticking (and yeah, Miley was serving BP out there) - but Bauer's next couple of outings are going to be crucial. It's all well & good to say that Bauer is experimenting with his pitches, but with him now under the microscope, he's got to show he can limit the BB's (because no matter how talented you are, MLB bats will eat you up if you cannot command the zone - see Andrew Miller).

FYI, the service time deadline to get the extra year before FA passed - and as it's been already covered ad nauseum in other threads, Super-2 avoidance is a long ways off. The Snakes got the extra year before FA - so if they want to really upgrade their 2012 team, well, it's really up to Bauer now to show he can cut down on the BB's. Otherwise, I see at least 2-3 more outings from Collmenter, barring injury, before we can even talk about a Bauer callup.

Tonight's start going to be VERY popular, I suspect. ;)

I have Bauer in one of my two leagues. I don't see why everyone is such a hurry to call him up. He's walking too many people. I understand the upside, but if he comes up and starts walking people in Arizona's ballpark he's going to get lit up by MLB hitters. If he gets called up too early, gets clobbered, and has to be sent back down it will not only be a disappointment but a waste of time for his development. Make sure he has everything figured out, then call him up.

I have Bauer in one of my two leagues. I don't see why everyone is such a hurry to call him up. He's walking too many people. I understand the upside, but if he comes up and starts walking people in Arizona's ballpark he's going to get lit up by MLB hitters. If he gets called up too early, gets clobbered, and has to be sent back down it will not only be a disappointment but a waste of time for his development. Make sure he has everything figured out, then call him up.

I think all dynasty league owners share your view - but he's probably also owned in a ton of redraft deeper leagues - thus the angst. I own him in both formats, so I'm patient as well. I would like to see him so I can enjoy watching him - but he has to exhibit better control / command - MLB caliber bats will eat him alive without command/control. I suppose he might be working on his sixth/seventh/eigth/ninth pitches (that's just ridiculous typing it, let alone reading it) and thus having issues with throwing strikes as he masters those pitches, but regardless, he won't get away with the BB's, or missing up in the zone with offspeed (the command, which is even more important than control in the Show).

EDIT: For those who haven't read the MILB article on his supposed 9-pitch arsenal, here you go. I really think he has 5 pitches and is working on a 6th (the split), since he counts two versions of his change, slider & curve, but it's still impressive to have those, the 4-seam, 2-seam AND incorporating the split. :o

Comment from BA Chat today (not paid content)

I saw Trevor Bauer pitched this week against the Biscuits. He only gave up 1 run, but he walked 5 and struck out only 2. I noticed that he seemed very bothered by the umpire and was clearly letting his frustration show. Is this something the Dbacks should be worried about?

Matthew Eddy: Great comment. Bauer's alleged frustration in this game is noteworthy because generally the great starting pitchers worry only about executing the next pitch. But on the flip side, Bauer came into the season with great expectations (clowns like me even picked him for NL rookie of the year), but he wound up in the same place he finished last season, Mobile. Let's see how he handles umpire adversity the next time before getting too worked up.

Tonight's start going to be VERY popular, I suspect. ;)

On the website for the Mobile Bay Bears it says that Skaggs pitches tonight and TBA for tomorrow. Guessing Bauer pitches tomorrow night.

On the website for the Mobile Bay Bears it says that Skaggs pitches tonight and TBA for tomorrow. Guessing Bauer pitches tomorrow night.

Bingo

today is when I decide to drop or keep Bauer

do NOT drop him.see if they bring him up for Hudson who just went on DL

do NOT drop him.see if they bring him up for Hudson who just went on DL

Bet he get skipped 2day or a short outting

They called up Jonathan abalakaaladajo. Miley probably will take his spot but I don't expect that to end well.

They called up Jonathan abalakaaladajo. Miley probably will take his spot but I don't expect that to end well.

Bullpen depth. They will wait till they need a starter young grasshopper

The D-backs also recalled Takashi Saito from his rehab assignment at Single-A Visalia

Unless bauer is scratched tonight, it sounds like they are just going to move Miley from the pen to the rotation.