Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

Trevor Bauer SP CLE

And Skaggs gave up 3 long balls last start. I'll take a couple walks over 3 homers every day of the week.

wouldn't they be more likely to bring up corbin so that they don't have to start the arb clocks of skaggs and bauer? i'm not a prospect maven. therefore, i don't really know the rules related to that kind of stuff. thanks!

And Skaggs gave up 3 long balls last start. I'll take a couple walks over 3 homers every day of the week.

Walking 4.8 batters per 9 isn't gonna work out too well in the MLB ahahaha

Walking 4.8 batters per 9 isn't gonna work out too well in the MLB ahahaha

True, but 5 in his last 13 innings with 17 K's is exceptable.

Hudson will be back and Miley has earned a spot, so maybe they don't want to bring Bauer up and send him back down when Hudson comes back.

So what are we looking at now? I picked him up 2 weeks ago in an 10 team mixer 8 keeper player league. Are they planning on bringing him up this summer or are they waiting until rosters expand in September?

Its kind of both funny and sad that it was likely a scheduling conflict with Bauer that got his promotion nixed. They could of easily bumped Cahill to Monday to call Bauer up Tuesday but I guess they didn't want to tinker with the rotation order for whatever reason. I'd hardly say Miley has "earned" a spot. He dominated one bad offense. Let's see him against better lineups and how he fares. But at this point all Bauer owners can hope for is that he continues to put up gaudy numbers and improve his control. But unfortunately right now his path depends on Miley and Corbin falling on their faces or that Saunders gets hurt or has a major regression like Collmenter. I am sure Arizona is looking at trading Saunders as well to free up a spot. As it stands its looking like June is the earliest possibility and likely not till July.

There is also the possibility if he is down there long enough they could decide to cap his innings by calling him late in the summer to use in a David Price type role in the bullpen.

Ouch, 2 guys go down and Bauer or Skaggs can't even get the first shot. Kind of disappointing. But with Bauer's HORRIFIC walk total and Skaggs HR proneness this year, can't say we all didn't expect this.

Pat Corbin could possibly be called up before him too

Sometimes I hate being right. :-/

wouldn't they be more likely to bring up corbin so that they don't have to start the arb clocks of skaggs and bauer? i'm not a prospect maven. therefore, i don't really know the rules related to that kind of stuff. thanks!

Nice call, natti.

And K22.

Amazing how it's the same conversation each year, you think we'd all learn by now that call ups for the most part don't happen till June. With Harper being a happy exception this year.

Amazing how it's the same conversation each year, you think we'd all learn by now that call ups for the most part don't happen till June. With Harper being a happy exception this year.

Keep in mind the new Super-2 threshold is top 22 percent, not top 17 percent, with the new CBA. That means teams will likely have to wait longer to delay the clock to avoid Super-2 (barring a bunch of teams just saying "forget it" and calling up guys after the first 3 weeks of the year who have no service time - that gets them by the time needed to get an extra year of service time before FA (but remember, only if there is zero prior experience, like Bauer). Depending on how other teams across the league hoard their elite prospects, we are looking well past early June if teams want to play this game (no one exactly how long, but it's safe to say the early June ETA doesn't apply with the new Super-2 thresholds unless a LOT of prospects get called up now/in May because teams can't wait that long). I think what this will do will be to guarantee we don't see elite prospects (who have zero service time) until late June / early July this year - on teams that have NO shot to content. On teams that have a serious shot at contending (Nationals, Snakes) - the amount of time they have to wait to get that Super-2 avoidance is a real barrier to maximizing their current-year playoff chances.

Now in Bauer's case, Corbin pitched well enough to be an alternative to begin with. But, if the Snakes' rotation is still having issues, the fact teams have to wait well beyond early June to avoid Super-2, well we might see more cases like Bryce Harper show up for contenders - because it's one thing to be late-May/early June when you have alternatives - but if the cupboard is bare (and let's all agree Skaggs & Bauer haven't shown they're invincible this year), and you have a chance to get into the playoffs, and you already pushed back the service clock enough to get an extra year before FA, but have to wait 2+ months to get more gains...well, I think this is why the MLBPA agreed to the new threshold (not just to get more guys into arbitration earlier, but to force teams into these decisions for their elite players).

Back to Bauer - regardless of whether delaying service time is the Snakes' primary intent, I will repeat my earlier agreement with those that point to Bauer's BB rate as a legit issue - even if he just "tweaking" his secondary stuff, the bottom line is that he has to have much better command and control (not just BB rate, but where he puts his FB/change - the command aspect). I believe he'll have no trouble addressing this - the question is when/how quickly. Knowing his control probably led the justification to call up Corbin, it will be interesting to see if Bauer responds (being the cerebral guy that he is, he knows the score here).

If any other pitcher has these control issues the thread is full of "what's wrong with him" comments. But since Bauer is a cool shiny prospect we brush it off as "oh he's just working on some pitches" or "he strikes enough people out to make up for it". The Southern league is a pretty weak hitting league right now. Unless he's going to be a rp, those control issues will get him in trouble in the MLB.

True, but 5 in his last 13 innings with 17 K's is exceptable.

I hope you mean acceptable?

Corbin got busted up by the Marlins today. Now we should only have to slag through Skaggs before we finally see Bauer.

Corbin got busted up by the Marlins today. Now we should only have to slag through Skaggs before we finally see Bauer.

Corbin could have been worse. Not the worst start in his debut.

Corbin could have been worse. Not the worst start in his debut.

Agreed - it wasn't great, but it wasn't abysmal, either. He did get lucky (the 1st inning was looking like disaster until the inning-ending DP) - but he also was in his MLB debut, where nerves are expected. Corbin's main strength have been command and approach, so we saw both the good & bad those type of pitchers get, especially when they haven't been faced by MLB hitters (not having seen his stuff, hitters got fooled).

I doubt Corbin hurt or helped himself much, and given he's in line for the W, in all likelihood will get several opportunities (minus apocalyptic-level outings) to prove himself. And, really, Bauer needs to address his BB issues to force any issue (whether or not he's "tweaking" his secondary pitches or not, the BB rate is going to have to be lower at the Big Show, so showing he can cut back now is key). As much as Bauer fans want to see Corbin fail miserably, getting a win and avoiding the Collmenter-level of suckitude (which isn't hard to do, but he still did both), it's hard to be all negative on Corbin, especially from the management's perspective (pitched well enough to win, got a little fortunate, but also managed the nerves of a MLB debut).

Again, keeping in mind Super-2 avoidance is now at the top 22 percent instead of top 17 percent of service time players, we're still looking at an extended delay, well into June (and maybe early July). But, with the Snakes in contention, a surge by Bauer will still keep this option open.

Really got rocked tonight towards the end of his start, and his control issues seem to be continuing. Still nine punchouts though, anyone have any details on this start beyond the box?

Posted · Hidden
Hidden

10 team mixed league, should I drop him? I know we may see him later this year but clearly this isn't Strasburg we're talking about.

Posted · Hidden
Hidden

10 teamer? Definite drop IMO, assuming it is a standard 10 teamer.

Posted · Hidden
Hidden

Forget to mention, it's a keeper league. We are allowed 8 keepers. I already have Weaver, Luebke, Wainwright and Beachy as my pitching keepers, the only way I would end up taking Bauer would be if he lights it up when he finally gets to the majors.

Posted · Hidden
Hidden

Luebke is going for TJ surgery. Might change your keeper list.

FISH ON!!