Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SuperJoint

Cedric Benson Season Outlook 2011

He signed the 1-yr deal so he has bankable value. I'm not as interested in him as much as his cuff - if you're drafting him you have to take his handcuff considering he's a suspension waiting to happen as well as receiving a ton of carries over the past few years.

Scott is almost equally uninteresting, but apparently remains 2nd in line even though the Bengals rarely use him. I'm losing hope the Bengals will bring in another capable back, but this duo still will probably come at decent value if you're slumming.

The problem with the Bengals offense the past two years hasn't been the RBs, they've actually been pretty decent. First, they play in a division with the Steelers and the Ravens (even the Browns were pretty decent vs. the run last year). Two, QB play. They haven't switched divisions to my knowledge and their QB situation has gotten worse. With only a rookie to extend the field, the good news is that the Cincy pair will be option #1 in this year's offense. The bad news is they will face plenty of 8 in the box and the offense will most likely be very poor in 3rd down conversions.

I would expect a lot of attempts and very inconsistent production. Benson should be a low end RB2 with health. If I had to play this hand; I see the schedule and 4 of the first 6 are vs. defenses that were dreadful vs. the run last year (in the worst 8 D's) and no Pitt or Bal. I would definitely try and trade after week 6 at the latest. The playoff schedule doesn't look bad, but the stretch run looks horrific. Just tough to run when you have no QB and neither are great receivers although capable.....Benson needs to score more TDs but really it's not his fault.....tough situation that I'm probably avoiding and I loved Benson two years ago as a sleeper.....

but this duo still will probably come at decent value if you're slumming.

That is comedy gold right there.

Just like DeAngelo Williams, I'm totally amazed at how high Cedric Benson is ranked. Sure... sure... We know that both DeAngelo and Cedric are very talented RB's. We even know that Cincinnati has a pretty decent run-blocking O-Line. However, doesn't anybody take into consideration that they are running with a rookie QB, a rookie WR, and a totally unproven WR? Any defensive coordinator that faces Cincy is going to focus on shutting down Benson, and forcing the rookie to beat them thru the air. I actually kinda like A.J. Green, but dude is just a rookie. Andy Dalton looks like he will be a fine QB one day, but he's a FREAKING ROOKIE!

The jump from college to NFL for a QB is like going from Planet Earth to Pandora. It's a whole nuther world... I just can't see Andy Dalton being able to deal with all the various blitz schemes and whatnot that NFL defenses are going to throw at him. He might be a very good QB in a couple of years, once he's a bit seasoned, and once his WR's have more experience, but I can definitely see a situation in which Cincinnati is going to be looking at a bunch of 3 and outs, or worse, interceptions... They will likely be playing from WAY behind, which doesn't bode very well for a guy like Benson. Jamey Eisenberg of CBS has Benson ranked 19th overall, and Dave Richard from CBS has Benson ranked 16th OVERALL!!! Can you freaking believe that? I currently have Benson ranked 31st overall, and I'm still debating with myself whether I have him too high.

I guess it just must be a name value thing. People remember two years ago when Benson was a top 10 RB stud. Well, those were the good old days for Cincy. Carson Palmer was the QB, Chad Johnson was still named Chad Johnson, etc,etc. They also remember last year when Benson was relatively decent with Palmer, Ochocinco and Mr. Owens... Those days are history. Carson Palmer is nowhere to be found, Ochocinco is chatting up Tom Brady on the sidelines, and T.O. is probably doing pushups in his driveway, hoping somebody will give him a contract.

Just like DeAngelo Williams, I'm totally amazed at how high Cedric Benson is ranked. Sure... sure... We know that both DeAngelo and Cedric are very talented RB's. We even know that Cincinnati has a pretty decent run-blocking O-Line. However, doesn't anybody take into consideration that they are running with a rookie QB, a rookie WR, and a totally unproven WR? Any defensive coordinator that faces Cincy is going to focus on shutting down Benson, and forcing the rookie to beat them thru the air. I actually kinda like A.J. Green, but dude is just a rookie. Andy Dalton looks like he will be a fine QB one day, but he's a FREAKING ROOKIE!

The jump from college to NFL for a QB is like going from Planet Earth to Pandora. It's a whole nuther world... I just can't see Andy Dalton being able to deal with all the various blitz schemes and whatnot that NFL defenses are going to throw at him. He might be a very good QB in a couple of years, once he's a bit seasoned, and once his WR's have more experience, but I can definitely see a situation in which Cincinnati is going to be looking at a bunch of 3 and outs, or worse, interceptions... They will likely be playing from WAY behind, which doesn't bode very well for a guy like Benson. Jamey Eisenberg of CBS has Benson ranked 19th overall, and Dave Richard from CBS has Benson ranked 16th OVERALL!!! Can you freaking believe that? I currently have Benson ranked 31st overall, and I'm still debating with myself whether I have him too high.

I guess it just must be a name value thing. People remember two years ago when Benson was a top 10 RB stud. Well, those were the good old days for Cincy. Carson Palmer was the QB, Chad Johnson was still named Chad Johnson, etc,etc. They also remember last year when Benson was relatively decent with Palmer, Ochocinco and Mr. Owens... Those days are history. Carson Palmer is nowhere to be found, Ochocinco is chatting up Tom Brady on the sidelines, and T.O. is probably doing pushups in his driveway, hoping somebody will give him a contract.

I totally agree with this, but thats why i think gradkowski will start sooner than later who was a great starter in oakland which should boost wr and benson a lil.I just can't see dalton starting all year in dysfunctional Cincinnati.

Benson gets ranked so high b/c he gets a lot of carries. He's worth a later-round flier imo if you slept on RB early. Not saying he's anything special, but he still has some usefulness.

I for one will be avoiding all Bengals this year. I think its another lost season for Cincy.

Starting a rookie QB and WR without OTAs and training camp? I'm sorry but that scares me away.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/31610800

As the Cincinnati Enquirer’s Joe Reedy writes, Benson will turn himself in during the Bengals Oct. 17 bye week and will spend the week in jail. Assuming he gets credit for good behavior, Benson will have served his time. He should be back in Cincinnati by Oct. 26 ready to return to the team.

Yea, this was my understanding to. He will miss a game due to jail time. Not sure why Rotoworld is now reporting that he won't miss any regular season time.

According to Bengals.com, Cedric Benson is not expected to miss any regular season time after pleading no contest to assault Monday

If Benson serves his jail sentence during the week of the bye, and he only spends a week in jail, he shouldn't miss a game. No?

If Benson serves his jail sentence during the week of the bye, and he only spends a week in jail, he shouldn't miss a game. No?

Correct. He is not expected to miss anytime, unless he gets an epic jail house brawl like "Prison Break"........Something I wouldn't put past Cedric......Or perhaps the judge considered being the starting RB for that pathetic offense as "good behavior" if Benson doesn't kill someone....

Well, Benson decided to move up the jail time and reported to prison last night. With the expected good behavior, he'll be out Sept. 6.

So, uh...anyone know if he's behaving himself? If he is, is he going to have a reduced role week 1? The only reason to play him is the amount of touches he is ostensibly going to garner each week.

He's already out. There shouldn't be so much as a hiccup in his production.

Pretty good Game 1 stats even though the TD came late, but as long as it came. Good match up Week 2 but still has 2 games against Pitt and Balt to worry about.

I think jail was good for Benson. No more whining about your contract. He's playing hard, and I'm actually benching Hillis to start him this week. Broncos are horrible against the run.

What you guys think about him in the long run?

I see him playing all 16 games and breaking 1200 yards easily, running with determination this year on a one year contract. He will get 20+ carries every game, last year in an "off year" after his breakout year he still broke 1100 yards. I can see him getting 1300 yards, with close to 4 yards per carry and 8-10 scores.

I only have him in one of my 4 leagues, and because he is my #3RB, I feel like the team is a total a**-kicker. I'm not sure I'd feel very confident if he was my 2.

He will continue to deliver, but his team's limitations limits his ceiling severely.

My how things can change.

Two school of thought(arguing in my brain) this week:

1. He will be given limited carries this week(see Bernard Scott thread) in anticipation of his suspension.

or

2. They give it to him all day long because they know he's gonna have 4-6 personal bye weeks.

Which is it?

I think it might be a combination of both.

They're going to take a harder look at Bernard Scott this week, likely, but I think they're also going to give Benson a heavy load since he's likely to be able to rest up.

Why wouldn't they run him into the ground if he is gonna have 4 weeks off?

Scotts been around he doesn't need a bunch of touches to get used to running.

Anyone know when the hearing is, and when we can expect to know if the suspension will hold up?

Anyone know when the hearing is, and when we can expect to know if the suspension will hold up?

Today is the hearing. I don't know how long it will take til we know the results. I picked up Bernard Scott last week anyways, he's a good WW ADD if you need a starting RB rental for 3 games.

If Benson misses 3 games, and Scott performs well, do you think this could turn more into a RBBC?