Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SuperJoint

Cedric Benson Season Outlook 2011

I hope they reduce his suspension, he has some juicy games coming up..

I hope they reduce his suspension, he has some juicy games coming up..

They would be juicy matchups for an ideal back, but Benson isn't in that group.

Looks like the Bengals are worried about the suspension. Trying out Portis today.

Wouldn't necessarily phrase it as "worried", more like "uncertain". If they're unsure of whether or not he'll be suspended, they'd be foolish NOT to work out a couple of backup RB's to sit on their bench for the next 3 weeks, in the case that Benson is suspended.

A league spokesman tells the Bengals website that no decision will be announced on the appeal of Cedric Benson's three-game suspension until Wednesday at the earliest.

Benson's appeal was heard Tuesday. Announcements are usually made by Wednesday to give teams a chance to make adjustments to their game plan for that week's game. There is speculation that the suspension could be reduced, but it's not expected to be thrown out altogether.

La Canfora said today that Benson was one of 8 players on a list of players that COULD be disciplined for conduct that occurred during the lockout. This is why Benson has said he was upset with the player's union. So I would say a suspension is guaranteed, though maybe he gets it reduced based on the appeal.

i still dont know what this means. was he suspended or not?

It won't be announced until tomorrow at the soonest.....officially.....

He thinks he'll play......

Cedric Benson says he will play in Sunday's game against the Bills.

Benson says his Tuesday meeting with the league went well. And considering no suspension has been handed down as of yet, it's seems likely the appeals process is going to leak into next week. That makes Benson a good bet to be the "bell cow" for the Bengals come Sunday and leaves Bernard Scott as a high-quality stash.

It has been confirmed...

Coach Marvin Lewis confirmed that Cedric Benson will play in Sunday's game against the Bills. Lewis has presumably gotten word from the league office that Benson will not be suspended this week. That turns Benson into a viable RB2 play against a Bills' defense that is giving up 4.7 yards per carry this season. Bernard Scott remains a must-stash as Benson's suspension could kick in as soon as Week 5.

Starting to think he wont miss any games at all, and hence, that bolded statement might not hold true.

I think Benson will be suspended but not for 3 games. Benson has a solid argument about not being a contracted player at the time of his arrest even though he is a repeat offender. Probably a game or two missed IMO.

Scott is eating up a bench spot I could really use right now...

+1

Scott is eating up a bench spot I could really use right now...

Personally, I dropped Scott today. Benson seems to actually have a very strong case on his side, plus he came out of the meeting extremely positive. I would not be shocked if they already unofficially made a deal with him to shorten the suspension.

I don't think the NFL would be doing itself any favors by pursuing this to the fullest extent.

Plus, the fact that 8 players are being disciplined for off-season disciplinary action, while 25 others are not, just really makes this a messy situation. As Bengals union rep, Whitworth said:

"I feel like it was the wrong decision to allow those guys to be punished," Whitworth said. "They weren't employed (during the lockout) and they didn't have a job, so they shouldn't be able to be punished for it. "Now, I don't think that them doing stuff is OK. But if no one else can get punished, they shouldn't be able to, either."

(Quote via CBS news.)

if you dont need scott badly why bother , the bengals suck anyway

now if you need rb help badly, i get the desperation add

if you dont need scott badly why bother , the bengals suck anyway

now if you need rb help badly, i get the desperation add

Scott's been one of those guys who over-performs when given the opportunity and is said to be better than the guy who starts over him, so it's kind of tough to just drop him when he might finally get his chance.

Edit: I wouldn't say I need an RB badly, but I also don't have any studs (Best, Thomas, Starks, Helu), so Scott could definitely help during that 3-week period while I wait for some of my guys to come into mid-season form

I've got him (Scott) benched in one league and I'm really starting to think twice about it- especially with John Clayton reporting the Bengals were going to/already have worked out L. Johnson and C. Portis in case of a suspension. They either don't have complete faith in Bernard or Leonard as a backup. I still think Benson will be suspended 3 games or zero. I can't see how they would downgrade a suspension 3 games over Bensons valid arguement.

According to ESPN's John Clayton, Cedric Benson (suspension) "should be able to play" this week.

Sweet.

Hopefully he's not suspended when (if?) I *REALLY* need him later on.

According to ESPN's John Clayton, Cedric Benson (suspension) "should be able to play" this week.

So how do we take this news? NFLPA is fighting the suspension or Roger is just moving slow? Figured to see an announcement more than "Benson likely to play." Thought we'd see something like, "Benson suspended 3 games" or "Benson suspention reduced" or "Benson won't be suspended, but will be fined." Clayton isn't giving much info other than he will play. odd.

So how do we take this news? NFLPA is fighting the suspension or Roger is just moving slow? Figured to see an announcement more than "Benson likely to play." Thought we'd see something like, "Benson suspended 3 games" or "Benson suspention reduced" or "Benson won't be suspended, but will be fined." Clayton isn't giving much info other than he will play. odd.

NFL is reviewing case law and seeing if they would lose if Benson actually sued them and the NFLPA. He has a pretty good case, may not be worth it, but they need a way to save face now.....

NFL is reviewing case law and seeing if they would lose if Benson actually sued them and the NFLPA. He has a pretty good case, may not be worth it, but they need a way to save face now.....

I'm no legal expert but I just don't see how they can suspend him at this point.

I need this guy to be suspended or break the law again so he can go to jail asap. I'm sick oh holding Scott.