Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SuperJoint

Ben Roethlisberger 2011 Season Outlook

Can't bench him this week, you honestly never know with Big Ben so I'm just gonna hope for the best.

I'm sure many will consider benching Ben against Cleveland's "elite" pass defense, but take a look at the QBs the Browns have faced so far:

http://www.fftoday.c...owed&LeagueID=1

Alex Smith and Matt Schaub have been their toughest opponents. I think Ben still throws for 250 yards and two TDs.

Cleveland's pass D is overrated but surely that is because every single team just destroys them on the ground? The Steelers might well make Ben hand off to Mendenhall all day.

Cleveland's pass D is overrated but surely that is because every single team just destroys them on the ground? The Steelers might well make Ben hand off to Mendenhall all day.

In some cases it has to be a question of chicken or egg right? If you have a crappy QB (and most of the QBs they've played have been mediocre at best) you hammer your RB.

Think about it! What give Cleveland the best chance of winning? Turnovers! Their offense is pathetic! Their defense is pretty good. They may be overated on pass "D" but playing it conservatively would be the right approach. Run the ball, mix in a few strategic passes, put up a few points and game over against the Pitt "D". I am thinking about sitting Brown due to this matchup. Tomlin is a good coach and I believe they will do what everyone else does, which is run the ball.

You are right in that they have faced poor passing offenses but I still see them attacking on the ground. Big Ben is still recovering from his thumb fracture and why not give him an easy week to continue healing. ????

Big Ben will have a solid game. Probably won't win a playoff game for you, but I'm not scared of the Browns' so called top-ranked pass defense

It's not that he won't have a good game, I just question the opportunity in a potentially low-scoring game that he has.

Gonna start tebow. Can't risk Big Ben having a dud game when im up against ARod.

It's not that he won't have a good game, I just question the opportunity in a potentially low-scoring game that he has.

If you go by the point spread Pit -14 (38.5) they are predicted to score 26.25 pts (26.25-12.25) which really isn't low at all

I can easily see Big Ben throwing for 200+ and 2 TD's

If you go by the point spread Pit -14 (38.5) they are predicted to score 26.25 pts (26.25-12.25) which really isn't low at all

I can easily see Big Ben throwing for 200+ and 2 TD's

I could care less what Vegas has to say about this game. The Steelers haven't been exactly an offensive powerhouse against crap teams this season (KC, IND). Add to the fact that Cleveland has a decent pass defense, and I just don't see it.

KC has a good pass rush tho, and Big Ben is the most sacked QB of all time per game. So I wouldn't call them a crap team in that regard.

Cleveland's pass D is highly inflated because they

1) Don't score. 14ppg over last 5 games

2) Run D is GOD AWFUL 184 ruYd/g last 5 games

It comes down to the play calling for this one. Big-Ben is going no-huddle, will he pass? will he hand off?

Pass rush doesn't matter with Chiefs specifically. Based on "stats" Big Ben and ARod are the most blitzed QBs in the league. Doesn't matter the team, they will blitz.

With that being said, Big Ben is better off with the blitz. Most of his big plays come when he is scrambling and finding receivers

Any chance he misses the game next Sunday vs the Niners?

almost everything I've read expects him to gut it out. There is always a chance, but the media consensus right now is that he will play.

QB is actually one of the few positions where you can gut it out and play with a high ankle sprain. not as much movement required as skill positions.

with his history of playing through injuries i expect him to turn that ankle into a club and give it a go.

only way i see him sitting out is if steelers brass forces him to in order to get him healthy for playoffs

I may have to roll with BUF QB Ryan Fitzpatrick or WAS QB Rex Grossman if Ben can't go.

But I expect Ben Roethlisberger to play Week 15 - shotgun formation.

Per RW: Ben Roethlisberger's ankle injury has been officially diagnosed as a grade one high ankle sprain.

It's the least severe degree of sprain, but is still likely to prevent Roethlisberger from turning in much, if any, practice time this week. That being said, it shouldn't prove to be too large of an impediment for a quarterback who's made a living playing through pain. Roethlisberger may milk the drama this week, but it would be an upset if he's not under center against the 49ers. Twitter : Gerry Dulec

Positive news for week 15 PIT @ SF -1 ( Monday Night Football 8:35PM )

* Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey says he's dealing with only a grade one high ankle sprain, and will play in Week 15

Look at his games against good defenses this year. He hasn't been more than average. He is facing the SF D this week. Anyone else worried about using him in the playoffs here? I know he consistently defies the odds and actually plays BETTER it seems when he is questionable to play, but still I have doubts. Even if he was full strength against this D, do you play him over guys like Dalton, Grossman, Locker, etc.? He just isn't doing anything against good D's this year and scrubs like them might have a better chance this week I'm thinking.

Look at his games against good defenses this year. He hasn't been more than average. He is facing the SF D this week. Anyone else worried about using him in the playoffs here? I know he consistently defies the odds and actually plays BETTER it seems when he is questionable to play, but still I have doubts. Even if he was full strength against this D, do you play him over guys like Dalton, Grossman, Locker, etc.? He just isn't doing anything against good D's this year and scrubs like them might have a better chance this week I'm thinking.

I think it's going to be an ugly game against San Fran, but expect Pitt to come out firing against the best run D in the league. If they're going to score any points, they're going to have to do it through the air.

He did well against the "so-called" No. 1 pass defense in the Browns...what makes us think he can't do it against the "so-called" No. 1 49ers D?? This is a team who got torched by the Cardinals last week.

Mendenhall won't do anything so Big Ben, if healthy, will toss the rock 40 times. I like the odds with that many attempts.

This is kinda off topic, but as a 49ers Defense owner, do you think it's likely that Big Ben will throw a few picks, and get sacked a bunch?

Steeler Offensive line is so bad that Big Ben gets sacked three times on Sunday before he gets out of bed. Yeah he'll get sacked.

Might be a GTD and possible late scratch. Since it is a MNF game I think it's smart to CYA and pick up back up QB Charlie Batch. He shouldn't be needed because Ben is expected to play but just in case things turn ugly at the last hour, it sure beats taking a zero. Heres to hoping for early positive practice reports out of PIT.

schefter is reporting pessimism over Ben's availability for MNF....hope he plays but this isn't good, since Schefter is pretty reputable