Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hammers

Devin Mesoraco 2011 Season Outlook

in all fairness to Devin, that scouting report was before his break out season last year....since then he has done very well which is why he is the number two catching prospect in the minor leagues right now behind Jesus Montero....

the reds should give him every opportunity to play from here on out since they are out of it and Ramon should not be brought back...

Not sure that this guy is going to pan out. However, it is always important to take stock on 1st rounders and ponder the idea, especially at the very thin catching position. The following is a scouting report that I found on Devin (not very high on him):

http://redlegsbaseball.blogspot.com/2010/0...t-16-devin.html

you realize that article is over 18 months old right? a lot has changed from 2 preseasons ago, he's probably the best hitting catching prospect in the minors who will actually stay at catcher. if hes not #1 he's #2

d'arnaud is a much better prospect B)

its debatable either way, which is why i said he's top 2, d'arnaud is the other one i was referring to. i also wouldn't say "much" better, i think thats a bit drastic

More recent scouting report -- appears to be a decent prospect.

http://longenhagen.blogspot.com/2011/07/ml...port-devin.html

He's their top spect, if not close to it. He was untouchable in any deal involving any of the names at the deadline. The breakthrough may be a little over his head a little, but he's definitely legitimate.

The real thing to debate is - will Dusty Baker ever play him? If he can't ruin his arm, what's the point of putting him on the field?

The real thing to debate is - will Dusty Baker ever play him? If he can't ruin his arm, what's the point of putting him on the field?

I was thinking the same thing. He has Alonso on the bench. He hates rookies.

I was thinking the same thing. He has Alonso on the bench. He hates rookies.

The Alonso situation is different. There is no place to play him, as he is a butcher in the OF. He'll do more harm than good out there. They have Votto at 1B, and he's unwilling to go to the OF. Alonso will need to be traded to get any kind of PT next year because he won't stick at 3B either.

Dusty Baker would be foolish not to start Devin behind the plate for the majority of the games in September. If Devin face plants then you offer Ramon Hernandez arbitration. If he accepts it, great, you have another year for Devin to develop. If he rejects it, even better, you take your two compensation picks and you give Devin another shot or you find another cheap alternative to hold you over for another year. If Devin takes the job and runs with it, then you know your set, and you dump Ramon.

Rotoworld is projecting Devin to get 10 starts before the end of the year. That is not enough time to evaluate his talent. If they go this route, the Reds are going to be stuck with a tough decision and kicking themselves for not giving this kid a shot.

My predication is that he's going to struggle during his call up, especially if given in frequent playing time. But it's better to have him struggle know when it doesn't matter then next year when it actually does...potentially.

The Alonso situation is different. There is no place to play him, as he is a butcher in the OF. He'll do more harm than good out there. They have Votto at 1B, and he's unwilling to go to the OF. Alonso will need to be traded to get any kind of PT next year because he won't stick at 3B either.

It appears that the Alonso situation is not any different with Dusty at the helm.