Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cpiritual27

Week 1 - Jared Cook or Rob Gronkowski?

In my 16-team PPR league, I drafted both Rob Gronkowski (7th round) and Jared Cook (10th). In week 1, Gronkowski faces the Dolphins (who he torched at the end of the year last year), and Cook is up against the Jags (who suck against the pass).

Right now, I'm leaning towards Gronk because I think he will be a top 3 target for Brady. A top 3 target for Brady is probably better than a top 2 target for Matt Hasselbeck. Also, Gronk is playing on Monday night. Weird as it sounds, I like having guys who play in the late games, in order to have the "final say" in a weekly matchup.

Thoughts?

I would go Gronk for Week 1 and see but I don't think he is going to have the same year as last year. I think the Pats are going to utilize Hernandez more as the season goes on but for a Week 1 matchup I would give Gronk the shot. SEe how Cook does in the first week.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=241471

I would go Gronk for Week 1 and see but I don't think he is going to have the same year as last year. I think the Pats are going to utilize Hernandez more as the season goes on but for a Week 1 matchup I would give Gronk the shot. SEe how Cook does in the first week.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=241471

This is what I'm thinking right now. I believe in Cook, but he's more hype than substance right now. I want to see him prove it before I start him.

I definitely think I might've picked the wrong NE TE, but I guess only time will tell. Hernandez is definitely more of a receiver, but Gronk plays more snaps, and supposedly has been a beast in training camp. I think they can both be supported as low-end TE1's in that offense, since really only Welker is guaranteed more targets.

I own cook on my bench and i like him. Gronk i feel will be more hampered by hernandez this year. With britt being injury prone and hasselbeck liking to use the tight end i think cook could be a major player on that team to lead them in receptions. The only reason im not starting cook is because i have daniels. Is kendricks available....if so i might consider dropping gronk and picking him up instead.

I own cook on my bench and i like him. Gronk i feel will be more hampered by hernandez this year. With britt being injury prone and hasselbeck liking to use the tight end i think cook could be a major player on that team to lead them in receptions. The only reason im not starting cook is because i have daniels. Is kendricks available....if so i might consider dropping gronk and picking him up instead.

Nah, Kendricks is gone. Our league is really deep and most teams grabbed a 2nd TE in the later rounds to prepare for byes. I think the best guy available right now is Kyle Rudolph.....yikes!

I definitely think Cook has stud potential, but I'm still pretty high on Gronk. I think both he and Hernandez can coexist in that offense.

I'm still leaning towards Gronk in week 1 because I want to see Cook prove it. If he explodes and I lose because of it, I'll feel like a fool haha.

I definitely think Cook has stud potential, but I'm still pretty high on Gronk. I think both he and Hernandez can coexist in that offense.

I'm still leaning towards Gronk in week 1 because I want to see Cook prove it. If he explodes and I lose because of it, I'll feel like a fool haha.

Agreed, there will be plenty of balls to go around in that Pats offense. I think your gut instinct here is the right one here, go with the surer thing to start your season. You drafted Gronk as your starter and he should be your starter until performance dictates otherwise. If Cook explodes in week 1, well, that's fantasy football and at least you can be happy he's on your roster and not somebody else's!

Thanks for the help with mine.

you have to start Gronx. Cook isn't even the starter in TN yet. Miami sucks, NE O is awesome, TN has new coach, new offense, s---y team.

easy

I know I'm in the minority on this thread, but I'd have to say start Cook. Like others mentioned, Hernandez is emerging more and more and Miami has upgraded at LB and their Safeties are playing better (which should allow them to defend the TE better).

That being said, I know what you mean about liking to have "The Final Say". It's nice to have the safety blanket in a close head-to-head match-up.

Cook, though unproven, could catch a lot of balls while Gronk may only catch two or three (with a TD maybe). I could see Cook grabbing like six or seven balls.

That's a tough one... good luck.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=241479

Cook, though unproven, could catch a lot of balls while Gronk may only catch two or three (with a TD maybe). I could see Cook grabbing like six or seven balls.

That's a tough one... good luck.

Cook has been a "break out" candidate before, and never even won the starting gig. TEN is going to suck and fail to move the ball. New system, new QB, and unproven Britt is their best option. TEN is going to try and slow the game and have Bironas win it for them.

In my 16-team PPR league, I drafted both Rob Gronkowski (7th round) and Jared Cook (10th). In week 1, Gronkowski faces the Dolphins (who he torched at the end of the year last year), and Cook is up against the Jags (who suck against the pass).

Right now, I'm leaning towards Gronk because I think he will be a top 3 target for Brady. A top 3 target for Brady is probably better than a top 2 target for Matt Hasselbeck. Also, Gronk is playing on Monday night. Weird as it sounds, I like having guys who play in the late games, in order to have the "final say" in a weekly matchup.

Thoughts?

I would go with Gronk hes a favorite of Bradys and its a Mon. nigther as you stated,thanx for mine

Both are good plays. Gronk is the safe call, and Cook has the upside.

Honestly, I would probably ignore matchups for Gronk. The Pats offense imposes it's will on all but the very best defenses. He's going to get his if the opportunity is there.

gronkowski is useless if he doesnt fall into the endzone , and a lot of his damage wasdone without hernandez playing at the end of the year

more snaps? maybe - but i dont get points for blocking so who cares . after britt, there is nobody else to throw to and cook is in that athletic freak class with megatron/finley/gates [yes i know tron is a wr, just listing some references ive heard about him]

its cook ... i have him and hernandez - even tougher call. opponents got brady so im thinking hernandez

gronk was the best TE in fantasy football last year during the last 4 games....and thats with hernandez playing. i think he'll be very solid again this year, there's really no reason to think otherwise. i do like cook a lot, but i would feel much more comfortable watching him do it a few games before inserting him into the lineup

Hernandez didnt play the last 2 games

Gronkowski put up huge numbers in both , and still only managed to average 1 more point per start than hernandez - thats factoring in a couple 0s too (injury) . Hernandez led in catches and yards and only 4 less TDs- top 10 TE as an injured rookie . Nowhere to go but up

Gronk, if only because of the matchup. I think Cook is too unproven, and I think we'll start to see Hernandez snipe more and more from Gronk, but because it's Miami, go with matchup when in doubt.

I like Gronk as well. With Brady throwing the ball, he'll be a top target all game long!

Thanks for the help with mine!

Definitely go for Gronkowski. He may compete for looks with Hernandez, but he's still one of Brady's favorite targets and he's a TD machine.

Thanks for mine. Tough call, I think you gotta go with Gronk though. I have hernandez on the bench, and it will be interesting to see how that relationship plays out this year.

Thoughts?

Your gut is leading you in the right direction....anyone Brady is throwing to is the right pick.

Thanks for mine

With how much the scoring for TE's depends on TDs I would definitely go Gronk. If neither of them scores a TD the difference will be minimal but I would say Gronk is about 3 times as likely to score. If you start cook you'll be feeling really good about his 5 for 60 when Gronk has 2 for 15 in the 3rd and then he'll catch a TD and you'll feel stupid...

With how much the scoring for TE's depends on TDs I would definitely go Gronk. If neither of them scores a TD the difference will be minimal but I would say Gronk is about 3 times as likely to score. If you start cook you'll be feeling really good about his 5 for 60 when Gronk has 2 for 15 in the 3rd and then he'll catch a TD and you'll feel stupid...

not in PPR. Actually, they would finish with almost the same amount of points if the example above holds true. If you think Cook can get 5+ receptions, you have to start him over Gronk in a PPR league.

Im in the same position and will likely start Gronk. Why? He is the safe pick. If Cook explodes, fine. I now know that I have him as my #1 TE for the rest of the way. The more likely event to happen based on what we have seen in the past is Gronk getting 4 catches for 30 yards and a touchdown. Quite solid!

I cant even put Cook on a projection at this point which is the problem. In addition, he may not get in on as many snaps early that we hope, currently sitting second on the depth chart.