Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SuperJoint

Jerome Harrison 2011 Season Outlook

Cool - we can start the thread with "bad" news:

Maurice Morris (hand) will enter the season as the Lions' No. 2 running back.

Jerome Harrison has a higher upside as a runner, but the Lions prefer Morris' versatility and pass protection skills. Harrison will be third on the depth chart this week with Keiland Williams expected to be inactive. Related: Jerome Harrison, Keiland WilliamsSource: Oakland Press Sep 8 - 7:32 PM

This is not a surprise to me - Morris is the established guy there. I don't think it's going to make much difference though if Best goes down. Harrison will get chances and I don't think the Lions will be able to resist promoting him to an at least even timeshare in short order.

im watching keiland williams very closely ... he may be inactive but that might have something to do with them literally just adding him to the roster

hes a solid 3rd down/goalline type - just sayin

im watching keiland williams very closely ... he may be inactive but that might have something to do with them literally just adding him to the roster

hes a solid 3rd down/goalline type - just sayin

I hear you, but I think getting another body would be advisable when your #1 is very injury-risky and you #2 is coming off a broken hand that caused him to miss the preseason. If anything, Keiland is a Morris clone - which isn't going to move the meter compared to what Harrison can do on that fast track.

i like harrison, a lot.

never understood why he hasnt been given a shot as a feature back after than stretch he had with cleveland

i like harrison, a lot.

never understood why he hasnt been given a shot as a feature back after than stretch he had with cleveland

terrible pass blocker

Sooooo, is Jerome the number 2 or what? Looks like he had 8 carries to 2 for Morris. The majority being in the second half.

This handcuff situation is giving me a headache.

Yea jhavid was unimpressive in between the tackles like expected, I think a short yardage/Clock killing role is up for grabs.

Harrison was clearly the change of pace running back today. If Best goes down, Harrison will slide into Best's role and either Maurice Morris or Keiland Williams will be change of pace / goal line. Just like I've been saying.

Harrison was clearly the change of pace running back today. If Best goes down, Harrison will slide into Best's role and either Maurice Morris or Keiland Williams will be change of pace / goal line. Just like I've been saying.

I'm not sure how "clear" it was, but yes - his usage today was encouraging. Morris had a couple of touches and looked like Morris, while Harrison was more of a factor. No surprise there, but I think this situation is still developing. I'm encouraged so far with Harrison.

hes on the wire ... tryin to 'cuff best ... currently have keiland williams i like him a lot and he seems like the #2

not as quick as harrison, but he was added to fill the leshoure roll on offense and i dont think harrison has even been active lately

any lions fans know whats up or is best not even worth backing up?

hes on the wire ... tryin to 'cuff best ... currently have keiland williams i like him a lot and he seems like the #2

not as quick as harrison, but he was added to fill the leshoure roll on offense and i dont think harrison has even been active lately

any lions fans know whats up or is best not even worth backing up?

Nobody knows, but my opinion is that they will continue running Best all the time with Keiland occasionally getting some work.

If Best goes down and is forced to miss weeks, I believe you'll see a 50/50 split between Keiland and Harrison, but with Keiland getting the GL situations.

Another problem is Maurice Morris... Nobody knows, I think I like Keiland tho obviously.

Nobody knows, but my opinion is that they will continue running Best all the time with Keiland occasionally getting some work.

If Best goes down and is forced to miss weeks, I believe you'll see a 50/50 split between Keiland and Harrison, but with Keiland getting the GL situations.

Another problem is Maurice Morris... Nobody knows, I think I like Keiland tho obviously.

My question is, doesn't Harrison fit the mold of Best more than the other two guys? i.e. if Best gets hurt and the Lions choose to retain the same style of play, wouldn't they likely turn to Harrison over the other guys? For instance, look at what he did in the game against Washington last year (when he was a McCoy replacement). McCoy is a similar, but better, version of Best. Harrison got virtually no playing time behind McCoy, but once McCoy was hurt, he immediately became a huge factor that game. I think the same concept goes with a team like the Pats. If BJGE was to go down, I think Ridley would take over, even though Woodhead currently gets the second most carries (after BJGE), since Ridley is the comparable back to BJGE.

Summary: I think Harrison has the most upside out of the backup RBs. He's proven in the past that he could be a more than solid backup. I'm contemplating whether I should waste a roster spot and just grab him, because my heart skips a beat every time I see Jahvid Best run into a brick wall on the line of scrimmage (which is more times than not)

My question is, doesn't Harrison fit the mold of Best more than the other two guys? i.e. if Best gets hurt and the Lions choose to retain the same style of play, wouldn't they likely turn to Harrison over the other guys? For instance, look at what he did in the game against Washington last year (when he was a McCoy replacement). McCoy is a similar, but better, version of Best. Harrison got virtually no playing time behind McCoy, but once McCoy was hurt, he immediately became a huge factor that game. I think the same concept goes with a team like the Pats. If BJGE was to go down, I think Ridley would take over, even though Woodhead currently gets the second most carries (after BJGE), since Ridley is the comparable back to BJGE.

Summary: I think Harrison has the most upside out of the backup RBs. He's proven in the past that he could be a more than solid backup. I'm contemplating whether I should waste a roster spot and just grab him, because my heart skips a beat every time I see Jahvid Best run into a brick wall on the line of scrimmage (which is more times than not)

You could easily be correct. Harrison does fit the "Best" mold well in fact, and if they want that home run hitter RB getting 20 carries then resting him like they have been for all this time is a good idea, but Keiland is getting more work right now and I just feel that they'd give him a decent amount of carries + GL work in the event of a Best injury. Maybe Harrison gets the upper hand with a 60/40 ratio, but I don't see him getting GL over Keiland, but Best is getting the GL so maybe so!

It's just a guess on my part, like I said nobody knows. This is a very tough handcuff situation indeed.

Woah they found a brain tumor during the physical how crazy is that.

wow! kinda crazy how one career threatening injury (Best) can lead to something like this...

Woah they found a brain tumor during the physical how crazy is that.

I wonder how much the Lions knew about this before they decided to ship him to the Eagles.

I wonder how much the Lions knew about this before they decided to ship him to the Eagles.

I really doubt they knew he had a tumor. The physical for the trade might have saved his life.

That's pretty crazy

@AdamSchefter: Without trade, Jerome Harrison doesn't get physical. Without physical, doctors don't find brain tumor. Trade might have saved his life.

RW blurb.....Wow. The trade may have saved his life......

Lions RB Jerome Harrison has been diagnosed with a brain tumor, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

As Schefter points out, Tuesday's trade might end up saving Harrison's life. If he isn't traded, he doesn't get a physical and the tumor isn't found. Harrison is not expected to play again this season, but the good news is his long-term prognosis appears positive. An eventual return to the football field has not been ruled out. Harrison had 14 carries for 41 yards in four games for the Lions this season.

How did they find a brain tumor during a physical? Do they normally MRI people's heads during physicals? That's a pretty thorough physical.

All thoughts and prayers to Jerome Harrison and his family. Hoping for a successful surgery and recovery.