Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SuperJoint

Tony LaRussa is a Clueless Idiot

I almost hope the Cards win so maybe I can be spared reading this 1000X in the 2012 Closer Thread. I have no rooting interest in the series other than hoping it goes 7 games.

If he pulls this off it would be his 3rd WS title. This one would arguably be the most impressive and improbable.

Ironically it's been his bullpen usage that's been the difference during this run.

I'm not a fanboy, actually - just tired of hearing it every year.

I almost hope the Cards win so maybe I can be spared reading this 1000X in the 2012 Closer Thread. I have no rooting interest in the series other than hoping it goes 7 games.

If he pulls this off it would be his 3rd WS title. This one would arguably be the most impressive and improbable.

Ironically it's been his bullpen usage that's been the difference during this run.

I'm not a fanboy, actually - just tired of hearing it every year.

It wouldn't be the most improbable at all. He won one in '06 with Jeff Suppan, Jeff Weaver, and Anthony Reyes as three of his top 4 starting pitchers with a team that won 83 regular season games.

LaRussa is an arrogant prick, but a great manager. That's for sure.

how about the cardinals coaching staff for the all-time creepiest ... LaRussa, Duncan and McGwire ... doesn't get more gross than that.

After watching the playoffs, I'm convinced more than ever that there is no such thing as a 'good' MLB manager....there are only managers who screw up less than their counterparts

After watching the playoffs, I'm convinced more than ever that there is no such thing as a 'good' MLB manager....there are only managers who screw up less than their counterparts

Yeah I agree, but this was the worst managed world series ever. How is every manager is baseball so crappy? I swear, it only works out when ownership signs an All Star team, then anything the manager does is fine. Yankees with Torre always looked good, how could you mess up? Marlins when they buy world series, hell, even my Blue Jays back in the 88 - 93 days made Cito look like a god because his entire team was elite.

Otherwise, it truly is who screws up less and in this case, Washington and LaRussa are lucky that each other are huge screw ups meaning someone accidentally won.

If they were both that awful they wouldn't have beat the teams they did to make the world series. They both tried to one up each other by being awful in the world series I agree with, absolutely terrible managing! But overall I still would rather have Washington over a bunch of other managers, same with TLR I suppose.

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa has retired.

La Russa made the announcement Monday morning at Busch Stadium, flanked by Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak and team owner Bill DeWitt Jr. Tony told the media that his decision was made down the stretch this season and then confirmed on the night of the World Series. He goes out on top, having won his second championship in a Cardinals uniform on Friday night. The Redbirds will begin a search soon for one of the top jobs in all of baseball. La Russa held the post for 16 years.

yes, im certainly going to be less rough on Charlie Manuel this coming season after witnessing this series...

but congrats to Larussa, and hard to argue going out..nothing could really top this season, and going out on top...

He retires as the 3rd winningest manager with 2,728 victories, 3 world series championships, 4 time manager of the year, all-time wins leader for the Oakland Athletics and the Cardinals, and the second manager ever to win a WS in both leagues.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/pr...19bb30f31a.html

It was odd listening to the announcement. When asked if he was coming back in some sort of limited role like Cox is with the Braves, his response was to the effect that the club would be better off without him. It's not something you would expect a manager who just won the World Series to say. Leads you to believe that he made the decision before the great post-season run. But when asked whether being 10 games out factored in to the decision, he said no.

Looks like MLB just figured out a way to help the speed of play.