phillies2626

Tim Lincecum 2012 Season Outlook

Timmy will throw the slider less this season according to Andrew Baggarly. Hmmmm, not sure exactly what this means. He was effective before he threw it, but it really helped him down the stretch and all of last season. Matt Cain showed him his slider grip and he has only been throwing it for a year and a half that way. He is worried about the stress on his arm and maybe becoming too dependent on it? I guess more curves instead? His changeup is his bread and butter, but he has to locate that fastball.

Timmy will throw the slider less this season according to Andrew Baggarly. Hmmmm, not sure exactly what this means. He was effective before he threw it, but it really helped him down the stretch and all of last season. Matt Cain showed him his slider grip and he has only been throwing it for a year and a half that way. He is worried about the stress on his arm and maybe becoming too dependent on it? I guess more curves instead? His changeup is his bread and butter, but he has to locate that fastball.

it sounds good in theory, but weeks and braun nailed that loopy curve today. that happens a couple of starts and that idea will go out the window. czar, i know you remember those Baseball Prospectus Prospect Guide write-ups on the young Cain and Timmy. Their scouts bragged about their "hammer" curves. Now you go to Fangraphs or just watch a game and those are by far their worst pitches.

I have been a big fan of Lincecum and owned him since his first full season, but I am starting to have some concerns. He has struggled in every spring I can remember though.

Timmy will be fine. Lock in 200+ Ks and Sub 3.00 ERA. He didn't throw a slider all Spring.

What's a few pitchers that would surprise people that you would take over Lincecum? Lincecum will be top 10 in my mind, but those cold streaks and just the inability to locate his fastball the last few years has been tough as an owner in a keeper league. The BB's dont' help, but overall he's a heck of a pitcher and always will be.

Before the season really gets started I would like to go on the record and say that Tim Lincecum will have his worst statistical season. I believe that he will be the 3rd best pitcher on his own team.

• Like 1

Before the season really gets started I would like to go on the record and say that Tim Lincecum will have his worst statistical season. I believe that he will be the 3rd best pitcher on his own team.

As someone who owns him, I think you're right, unfortunately.

Struggling so far. Is he having trouble throwing strikes?

He threw a center cut pitch that I thought was a fastball (gametracker says slider) to Chris Young. Young smashed it.

His fastball velocity over the years...

2007- 93.6

2008- 94.0

2009- 92.4

2010- 91.2

2011- 92.2

Today it's been closer to 90 than 91. I just saw an 89.

Edited by bigbadtim2
  • Like 1

Since when did Lincys fastball top out at 91? Im a little worried tbh

He has stretches of dead arm like that. Hope it's not all year but I don't own him so I don't really care.

But for a mini power outage during my draft, I would have had Holliday instead of past-his-prime Timmah. Bad luck.

Edited by Posting In The Clutch

starting to look like we all freaked out too early - he's calming down well

He's recovered a bit, but he really doesn't look as sharp as normal. He's going to need to rely on his offspeed stuff more than usual if his FB velocity is going to be around 90.

strikes out the side in the 4th!

edit: sorry for using the player thread...feel free to merge.

Edited by bigpinero