phillies2626

Tim Lincecum 2012 Season Outlook

strikes out the side in the 4th!

Much better inning. He was throwing a lot of those sliders that he was supposedly canning because they were hard on his arm.

Guys, please keep in game commentary in the game day thread that was opened for this game. It helps keep the clutter down in player threads. Thanks! :)

That was a great article, but to include Lincecum was stupid. I commented in the comments section (Larry Yocum). Lincecum doesn't do the inverted W and is already past the trouble years for the majority of TJ surgeries. He is a prime example of a guy that uses an overstride and doesn't put pressure on the elbow. I felt that anyone that was afraid of his mechanics doesn't understand mechanics and the article lost a touch of credibility in my mind by including him. He falls more in line with Maddux, Ryan, and RJ as guys that don't to the inverted W and had long careers as a result.

For what it's worth - and I didn't see the whole game, just the highlights on the MLB channel today - but Tim was showing the inverted W at foot-down on the Goldschmidt HR and the Roberts double today (the two pitches they showed him throwing).

I don't know if that's the case with the rest of his pitches, but it may be worth looking at him more for this. It wouldn't make him any less effective a pitcher, but it's potentiially a sign if his mechanics are off from his usual.

As a keeper league owner of Lincecum since his college days at UW and someone that's watched 75% of his starts since he's been in the bigs I'm seriously worried. The velocity loss is real (hopefully not 89/90 real, more like 90/91) and I don't think he has the fastball command to post top 5/10 SP numbers without getting some of that velocity back or improving said fastball command. He'll still get a K per inning because of sequencing and breaking stuff but his fastball is nothing special and will get hammered as it stands right now.

Lincecum said all spring that he was having problems with his mechanics. He has been through this before and figured it out.

I'd love to see him hitting 97 again, but those days are long gone. We've seen him be effective at 91-92, but he is devastating at 94. His command and secondary stuff always looks sharper with more velocity as well.

When he struggles, it tends to last about 3-4 starts at a time. If you look at his splits, he will have a bad month from time to time. He looked good early in spring, but struggled the last two starts before the opener and openly complained that his mechanics were off.

Hopefully he comes out of it soon, but it certainly isn't the first time it's happened to him.

Also, certain guys just hit him very well. Ryan Braun KILLS him. and now Paul Goldschmidt looks like a guy that Timmy shouldn't even throw a pitch too. That outing wouldn't have been so bad without the two bombs.

I wouldn't be overly concerned yet because we have seen this before and it does appear to be related to his mechanics being out of whack. Remember in August of 2010 he couldnt' get anyone out and then in Sept/Oct he was amazing as he helped delivery a title and outdueled everyone.

I'll keep my eyes and ears to the radio/broadcasts here though and let you guys know if I hear anything going on with him like arm soreness or something different. Right now, it's all about mechanics though.

Isn't it of major concern that he is not going to throw his slider much this year, if at all? At least early in the season.

I am seeing conflicting reports, some say he threw 0 sliders and others saying he threw up to 16 sliders. Does anyone knopw what the actual truthis?

http://www.baycityball.com/2012/04/06/0-1-giants-on-pace-to-lose-162-games/#more-11554

Earlier this spring, it was reported that the San Francisco Giants' two-time NL Cy Young award-winner Tim Lincecum would shelve his slider in order to save wear-and-tear on his ligaments.

Seems smart, right? Anything to prolong a potential Hall-of-Fame career.

The reasons for this decision were simple. Questions are lingering on whether the 27-year-old righty is concealing an injury this spring, as his velocity has been down—his fastball was sitting just a tick under 90 mph in yesterday's 5-4 Opening Day loss to the Diamondbacks.

Lincecum (0-1) lasted just 5.1 innings, while giving up five earned runs, despite striking out seven and walking just one. And the ace stuck to the plan too: He threw exactly zero sliders.

Not to sound the alarm just yet, everyone has rough outings. His strikeout-to-walk ratio was actually quite impressive yesterday, and there's no real way to tell if he's missing his slider after a single start.

At this point, his velocity is more of a concern than the slider, anyway.

Edited by rperricone

I so Hope The Czar is right, but if he puts up a soild game today I might quitely shop him around and see what he gets me. I just don't wanna be holding his left arm when his right falls off.

• Like 1

I so Hope The Czar is right, but if he puts up a soild game today I might quitely shop him around and see what he gets me. I just don't wanna be holding his left arm when his right falls off.

Colorado is kind of a tough place to base one start on.

On the slider issue: yeah, I don't know why you would even announce that. I get shelving the slider, but why tell the rest of the league? Didn't make any sense to me on any level. Maybe it is a signal something else is wrong. I don't know.

I'm just basing my thoughts above on the fact that we have seen him go through lengthy stretches before (2-4 starts) where his velocity has been way down and he always says it's mechanically related and then the velocity will come back up to 94-95 after awhile. If this were the first time he had dipped to 89-90, I'd be freaking out too, but he has done this 4-5 times now in his career and has bounced back. He has said his mechanics were off. I'd also be worried more if he said his mechanics were good and just didn't have the velocity. That's not what he's been saying though.

I'm worried as well though. I want to see Lincecum at 94 because he is dominant. At 90 he can be a very good pitcher, but not on the same level.

Lincecum said all spring that he was having problems with his mechanics. He has been through this before and figured it out.

I'd love to see him hitting 97 again, but those days are long gone. We've seen him be effective at 91-92, but he is devastating at 94. His command and secondary stuff always looks sharper with more velocity as well.

When he struggles, it tends to last about 3-4 starts at a time. If you look at his splits, he will have a bad month from time to time. He looked good early in spring, but struggled the last two starts before the opener and openly complained that his mechanics were off.

Hopefully he comes out of it soon, but it certainly isn't the first time it's happened to him.

Also, certain guys just hit him very well. Ryan Braun KILLS him. and now Paul Goldschmidt looks like a guy that Timmy shouldn't even throw a pitch too. That outing wouldn't have been so bad without the two bombs.

I wouldn't be overly concerned yet because we have seen this before and it does appear to be related to his mechanics being out of whack. Remember in August of 2010 he couldnt' get anyone out and then in Sept/Oct he was amazing as he helped delivery a title and outdueled everyone.

I'll keep my eyes and ears to the radio/broadcasts here though and let you guys know if I hear anything going on with him like arm soreness or something different. Right now, it's all about mechanics though.

Dead on about Goldie. That guy is completely dialed into Timmy.

I doubt it's arm soreness and agree that it's his mechanics. The thing I'm curious to see, and kind of suspect, is that he's just lost a little arm speed because of age. He's such a unique specimen in that with his mechanics he generated a great deal of his velocity from his flexibility and the "looseness" of his body. As we age we tend to lose some of that flexibility and possibly that is what is leading to his steady velocity decline, not injury.

Again, just my hypothesis. But as someone that has followed Lincecum closely and studied his mechanics, I've always believed that he should be (become) an avid yoga practitioner to maintain his unique flexibility. His plan to add strength and mass through weight training last year was the wrong route to take and was happy to hear that he dropped the extra weight this offseason. Now I'm just waiting for reports that he's on the yoga train...

Edited by 96mnc

Now I'm just waiting for reports that he's on the yoga train...

Maybe meeting some yoga eye-candy ladies would help him out in other ways as well. I'm all for this move.

Dead on about Goldie. That guy is completely dialed into Timmy.

I doubt it's arm soreness and agree that it's his mechanics. The thing I'm curious to see, and kind of suspect, is that he's just lost a little arm speed because of age. He's such a unique specimen in that with his mechanics he generated a great deal of his velocity from his flexibility and the "looseness" of his body. As we age we tend to lose some of that flexibility and possibly that is what is leading to his steady velocity decline, not injury.

Again, just my hypothesis. But as someone that has followed Lincecum closely and studied his mechanics, I've always believed that he should be (become) an avid yoga practitioner to maintain his unique flexibility. His plan to add strength and mass through weight training last year was the wrong route to take and was happy to hear that he dropped the extra weight this offseason. Now I'm just waiting for reports that he's on the yoga train...

EXACTLY.

I've tried to explain this to people as well. Lincecum's velocity comes from his flexibility and whip like motion. We want most pitchers to fill out and gain muscle and usually they add velocity. Madison Bumgarner might be that type of guy. Lincecum most certainly is not. I think the added muscle actually decreases his flexibility and could be what is causing the velocity loss as well.

Maybe meeting some yoga eye-candy ladies would help him out in other ways as well. I'm all for this move.

Yoga is a great way to stay healthy. Builds core, flexibility, strengthens tendons and ligaments (where as a lot of weight lifting can wear them down). Tony Horton founder of P90X is in amazing shape and in his 50's and swears by Yoga.

Edited by FouLLine

Still seeing a lot of 91 mph fastballs from Lincecum. The announcers were saying that he'd picked it up to 93-94 in the 1st inning, but I didn't actually see it. When I've seen the radar gun on TV, it's said 90-91. He's not looking very sharp at all.

3-0 Rockies. He's off to a bad start and the Rockies have hit the ball pretty well. 3 ER, 3 hits and a walk through 1.1 IP.

He certainly can be confused with liven Hernandez now

I think hes more comparable to Moyer or Padilla

CarGo just smashed his 2nd triple of the night. Lincecum knows his fastball is garbage and he's throwing almost all offspeed stuff. When you come into the season and say you can't throw your slider because it hurts your arm and then lack fastball velocity and throw your slider because you have to...not a good thing. I bet 50% of his pitches this inning have been changeups.

I think he'll be on the DL soon. Something isn't right.

and i had a chance to get ian kennedy for them - it's safe to say that that chance is gone

I want to see him at AT&T Park before I officially hit the ejector seat.

His next start is scheduled at home against the impotent Phillies. If he can't shut them down in the MLB's most pitcher-friendly park, then we will really have a problem.

I'm not sure this is all about mechanics, something is phisically wrong with him

I think his elbow is bothering him as a result of throwing so many sliders last season. They can blame in on the Arizona air, or them hurting his hand all they want. I don't think he's 100%.

I want to see him at AT&T Park before I officially hit the ejector seat.

His next start is scheduled at home against the impotent Phillies. If he can't shut them down in the MLB's most pitcher-friendly park, then we will really have a problem.

And then he'll be impossible to move.