Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BigPapi44

Pablo Sandoval 2012 Season Outlook

Per Rotoworld:

Pablo Sandoval gained 25 pounds during the offseason.

Sandoval claims that it's all muscle, but it doesn't sound like Giants manager Bruce Bochy is buying it. "He knows he's got a few pounds to lose," said Bochy." We had a good talk." Sandoval is coming off a resurgent 2011 campaign, so it's only natural to have some concerns that he's headed in the wrong direction again, but keep in mind that there's still a long way to go before the start of the season.

He's gained 25lbs in the off-seaon??? I thought he was working out like a mofo with a personal trainer to shed all the weight he put back on during the '11 season? WTF Panda, you fat a**!

Also what's San Fran's training staff doing?? You would think they would have been monitoring this in the off-season!? Unreal.

So much for me drafting Panda early.

If its all muscle, I'm def expecting 30+ jacks this year... :lol:

But yeah, its early. He has plenty of time to drop at least 15 lbs.

That is no way accurate. He told another reporter he had gained 10 lbs but has worked it off and has added muscle. Looking at his pics on his twitter....he looks fine and nowhere near 25 lbs heavier. I think this is just a mix-up on translation or something because the guy who tweeted that even said Pablo looked in great shape to him

Here is what he says

We discussed more immediate issues with manager Bruce Bochy, who acknowledged that when he saw Pablo Sandoval a couple of weeks ago in Arizona, the third baseman was heavier than he would have liked.

“He’s got a few pounds to lose. That’s fair to say,” Bochy said. “He’s working hard. He’s got a few pounds to work out before spring training.”

Bochy did add that “he looks better now than when I saw him two weeks ago.”

I talked to Sandoval briefly, mostly about his Lasik surgery and new contract. He told one Spanish-language reporter he had gained 10 pounds while in Venezuela but mostly has worked that off. Another Spanish-language reporter said it was 25 pounds.

I didn’t think Sandoval looked that heavy.

http://blog.sfgate.com/giants/2012/02/03/bochy-pablo-has-weight-to-lose-might-hit-fifth-plus-leadoff-spot-is-not-set-in-stone/

I think this is just a mix-up on translation or something because the guy who tweeted that even said Pablo looked in great shape to him

But that's not what Bochy said. He was talking to the SF Chronicle so don't think there is a mix-up in translation based on what Bochy told the reporter.

In any event, it's not the kind of news I was expecting to read on Sandoval with ST not that far away.

Well, Bochy said he has a few lbs to lose, which isn't much. If he had gained 25 lbs in addition to where he was at by the end of the 2011 season, I'd think this would have been bigger news by now. Some other spanish reporter said he gained 25 lbs but apparently Pablo himself told a spanish reporter it was 10 lbs that he has mostly worked off and also told Jaymee Sire of CSN that he added muscle

...but apparently Pablo himself told a spanish reporter it was 10 lbs that he has mostly worked off and also told Jaymee Sire of CSN that he added muscle .'

The problem is that's an oxymoron, because Panda has no muscle only flab!!!

I looked at Panda's twitter today, and he had pictures of him today and yesterday in the gym. He looks like a Sherman tank of muscle. I think he could easily hit 35 HR this year. All of a sudden he's looking like a nice keeper depending on his rankings.

I looked at Panda's twitter today, and he had pictures of him today and yesterday in the gym. He looks like a Sherman tank of muscle. I think he could easily hit 35 HR this year. All of a sudden he's looking like a nice keeper depending on his rankings.

Really? https://twitter.com/#!/Pandoval48

He looks like a butterball.

You aren't a butterball with a jaw line like this https://twitter.com/#!/KFP48/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FC2cQ3x7G

dude is just a big boy. Look through his other pics, especially the one of him doing pull-ups with what looks to be a 25 pound chain around his neck. His arms are about the size of tonka trucks and they aren't flabby.

Yeah, it doesn't look like he's gained any weight in those twitter photos. He looks like he's in pretty good shape actually.

25 Bombs, 90 RBIs, .305 shape

I don't see him hitting 30-40 bombs at all.

If you give him 550 ABs, figure his HR/AB ratio is around 22-26 (26HR/AB in his career) you get like 25 HR.

He could keep getting better, but I don't think he's going to leap to 30-40, especially not 40

Think everyone lost sight of the fact that it is entirely possible to put on 25 lbs with most of it being muscle, especially if he was replacing all that fat!

And if he continues to hit .300+, hey we will take 20-25 HR's. As for MVP type year? That seems a little farfetched in a league that still has Matt Kemp and Joey Votto

He looks good in those pics. Not sure what Bochey is talking about. He might be a little heavier than where they wanted him, but he looks like he is still easily 50 pounds lighter than he was 2 years ago. I think that Pablo is gone. He recognized his career was going to be short and he did what he had to last year to get back on track.

This guy is so underrated. He has worked hard on every aspect of his game except patience and the results came through last season. People said he would never be more than adequate at third base and he was one of the best fielding third basemen in all of baseball last season, leading all third basemen in UZR/150 games and Range rating. He was awesome last season in the field.

Yeah, if he gained 25 pounds, it's probably not a good thing, but looking at his pictures, he is still miles from where he was 2 years ago when he was up in the 275+ pound range and it doesn't look like he gained 25 pounds at all.

I don't see him hitting 30-40 bombs at all.

If you give him 550 ABs, figure his HR/AB ratio is around 22-26 (26HR/AB in his career) you get like 25 HR.

He could keep getting better, but I don't think he's going to leap to 30-40, especially not 40

If you just look at last season, he hit 23 in 426 ABs and was a much better player from a power perspective with his new physique. If he doesn't break his wrist last year, he probably hits 30. If you take his total in 117 games and measure it out to 150, you get exactly a 30 HR pace. If he can somehow play 162 games, he wouldn't even need to match last season's pace to hit 30. In a full 162 games at last season's pace, he would have hit 32. The wrist injury didn't slow him down either. He hit 15 bombs in 231 AB's after the All-Star break last season. If he keeps THAT pace up (yes, small sample size, but also the most recent), he would be in the 40 range with 600 AB's.

Yes, 40 is probably a jump, but he just turned 25 and is still a couple of years away from his power peak. Given that he actually sustained a 40 HR pace in the second half last season post wrist injury is pretty spectacular and encouraging.

I'm more concerned with Buster Posey's health than Sandoval's weight right now. If he has a healthy Posey hitting behind him and pitchers are forced to come after him, he will have a big year. If Posey isn't 100% and pitchers can avoid coming in to Sandoval, he is not going to get anything to hit. Given his lack of patience, it would be nice if pitchers actually need to worry about who is hitting behind him. Then again, this guy swings at everything, so protection may not make a difference.

Those pics definitely alleviate some of the worry I had.

Sandoval is extraordinarily underrated in fantasy circles. I agree that anything much north of 30 HR is a stretch, but you'll be hard pressed to find value like his at 3B, or any position for that matter.

My projections: .315/27/92

You'll take that all day as about the 8th 3B off the board.

If you just look at last season, he hit 23 in 426 ABs and was a much better player from a power perspective with his new physique. If he doesn't break his wrist last year, he probably hits 30. If you take his total in 117 games and measure it out to 150, you get exactly a 30 HR pace. If he can somehow play 162 games, he wouldn't even need to match last season's pace to hit 30. In a full 162 games at last season's pace, he would have hit 32. The wrist injury didn't slow him down either. He hit 15 bombs in 231 AB's after the All-Star break last season. If he keeps THAT pace up (yes, small sample size, but also the most recent), he would be in the 40 range with 600 AB's.

Yes, 40 is probably a jump, but he just turned 25 and is still a couple of years away from his power peak. Given that he actually sustained a 40 HR pace in the second half last season post wrist injury is pretty spectacular and encouraging.

I'm more concerned with Buster Posey's health than Sandoval's weight right now. If he has a healthy Posey hitting behind him and pitchers are forced to come after him, he will have a big year. If Posey isn't 100% and pitchers can avoid coming in to Sandoval, he is not going to get anything to hit. Given his lack of patience, it would be nice if pitchers actually need to worry about who is hitting behind him. Then again, this guy swings at everything, so protection may not make a difference.

Good call CZAR, if you are big on Panda (no pun intended) this year, then report of him being overweight will actually hurt his value in the draft and you should be sending it out to everyone in your league that this guy is a tub, because here is the real issue, weight had little or nothing to do with Panda 2010 drop off, it was all mental. Often times people want simplicity A+B=C But in 2010, he was going through a divorce that I think played a lot on him mentally plus his swing and discipline at the plate were way off kilter, it wasnt really the weight. But if thats what the simpletons want to believe, then let them.

Panda will have a huge year. If his wrist doesn't give him anymore issues I'd say 35+ homers.

35hrs? I don't think people should be getting their expectations up too high with him. He's not a power hitter. I'd be happy with 25hrs. Could he hit more, of course, but I think a 25hr .290-.310 average is realistic. Runs and RBI's will be relative to where he hits in the lineup.

Sandoval is the primary reason I won't even consider drafting a Longoria in the first round. Far better value with the Panda.

Having said that...I'd be shocked if he hit too many more than 30 HRs.

He looks good in those pics. Not sure what Bochey is talking about. He might be a little heavier than where they wanted him, but he looks like he is still easily 50 pounds lighter than he was 2 years ago. I think that Pablo is gone. He recognized his career was going to be short and he did what he had to last year to get back on track.

This guy is so underrated. He has worked hard on every aspect of his game except patience and the results came through last season. People said he would never be more than adequate at third base and he was one of the best fielding third basemen in all of baseball last season, leading all third basemen in UZR/150 games and Range rating. He was awesome last season in the field.

Yeah, if he gained 25 pounds, it's probably not a good thing, but looking at his pictures, he is still miles from where he was 2 years ago when he was up in the 275+ pound range and it doesn't look like he gained 25 pounds at all.

I was a doubter last year but ended up drafting Pablo. He does appear to be banged up a lot and his weight is an issue but I'm surprised that he is going later than Yokilis, Aramis, Young, etc. He is one of the few players I am really targeting this year.

I was a doubter last year but ended up drafting Pablo. He does appear to be banged up a lot and his weight is an issue but I'm surprised that he is going later than Yokilis, Aramis, Young, etc. He is one of the few players I am really targeting this year.

Me too. I've even considered not keeping Crawford and holding Panda, then trying to sneak Crawford back in the 2nd or 3rd round, but I can't make these decisions until I see how Yahoo has ranked them.