Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

George Springer - OF HOU

He was 23 in AA and plays in the PCL now. You should temper expectations based off his minor league numbers this year.

He was 23 in AA and plays in the PCL now. You should temper expectations based off his minor league numbers this year.

What a terrible argument. Show me another 23 year old in the PCL or any other league that has put up the numbers he has this year. The last time anyone even put up 30/30 was a 23 year old Grant Desme...who did it in SINGLE A 4 years ago (he then decided to become a priest). He's also put up these kind of numbers for the past 3 years in a row in all levels of the minors.

What a terrible argument. Show me another 23 year old in the PCL or any other league that has put up the numbers he has this year. The last time anyone even put up 30/30 was a 23 year old Grant Desme...who did it in SINGLE A 4 years ago (he then decided to become a priest). He's also put up these kind of numbers for the past 3 years in a row in all levels of the minors.

Agreed, horrible post. A very misinformed poster.

Agreed, horrible post. A very misinformed poster.

Do we have to go over the list of PCL products again?

Good lord just because Dallas McPherson couldn't hack it in the majors doesn't mean everyone out of the PCL is going to suck. Yes it's more hitter friendly than The International League, but that doesn't mean you just ignore every monster in the PCL.

Wow what an awesome name drop on Desme. I totally forgot about this guy.

But don't sell your boy short now, Desme was 30 HR 40 SB! I remember wanting to murder him when I read he was retiring for the priest hood.

Technically if you add the 11 bombs he hit in the AFL that year he was a 40/40 in 2009.

I really hope Springer starts next year in the majors. Either way, I'll probably still stash him in most of my leagues. His potential is just so intriguing I won't be able to pass up on it.

I bet Desme is still crushing it in his Church's local softball league

Talk about a ringer. "Hey, I know this guy....."

23 in AA... you do know he was in college right? He hit AA in his second year in professional baseball.

Now if he was drafted out of highschool, you would have a point, but it does not sound like you are aware he went to college.

Brandon Wood hit 31 hr in his age 23 season in only 103 games.

Springer had a .390 babip in AA with a .297 avg. He has a .358 babip in AAA with a .311 avg. His k% for the year is around 27% right now(Wood was at 23% in 2008 if you wanted to compare these can't miss prospects)

Talk Springer up all you want, but he's the kind of player who's going to have to fight to hit .250 his first year until he makes adjustments, if he's even able to make them.

Springer had a .390 babip in AA with a .297 avg. He has a .358 babip in AAA with a .311 avg. His k% for the year is around 27% right now(Wood was at 23% in 2008 if you wanted to compare these can't miss prospects)

Talk Springer up all you want, but he's the kind of player who's going to have to fight to hit .250 his first year until he makes adjustments, if he's even able to make them.

I'll take a chance on him. The power/speed combo he possesses is without peer in the minors. His high BABIP could partially be explained by his speed. I'm sure he beats out a lot of infield hits.

Pretty unfair to compare him to Brandon Wood, if you ask me. Why write him off as a failure before he's even begun his career?

Based on his skill set, a much better comp would be Granderson or Mike Cameron.

Cameron is a good comparison for his ceiling. And in the beginning of his career he will probably struggle alot just like Cameron did. And the Wood comparison is because he asked for a 23 year old with similar numbers in the PCL. And people were just as high on Wood when he was in the minors as they are right now on Springer.

Numbers against minor league pitching have to be taken without huge expectations

I made the comp to Cameron, but Springer definitely has a higher ceiling than Cameron.

There aren't too many guys in the minors right now who have Springer's fantasy upside, if any.

Baez, Buxton, can't really think of anyone else.

I'm surprised at the amount of hate in this thread on springer, yes he Ks more than anyone would like, an yes he may struggle in the MLB but there's no denying the guy is a tool shed, he has a plan at the plate. He's being uber aggressive and jumping on the 1st pitch fastballs and absolutely crushing them. He's on the brink of doing something in the minor leagues that hasn't been accomplished in almost 60 years while maintaining over ..310+avg 36hr 100rbi 100 runs 39SB yea I agree not that special :P

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, August 22, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, August 22, 2013 - No reason given

I'm surprised at the amount of hate in this thread on springer, yes he Ks more than anyone would like, an yes he may struggle in the MLB but there's no denying the guy is a tool shed, he has a plan at the plate. He's being uber aggressive and jumping on the 1st pitch fastballs and absolutely crushing them. He's on the brink of doing something in the minor leagues that hasn't been accomplished in almost 60 years while maintaining over ..310+avg 36hr 100rbi 100 runs 39SB yea I agree not that special :P

The amount of hate? 95% of this thread is people jerking him off.

People on here think the guy is going to be swinging like Pedro Alvarez in the majors. Pedro wishes he had the OBP that Springer has.

Strikeouts high, but he also walks a crazy amount too.

Chris Davis: Plate appearances: 525, Strikeouts: 152, walks: 55

George Springer: Plate appearances: 549, Strikeouts: 151, walks: 79

Needs to cut back on strikeouts? Gimme a break. I'm sure people in the Davis thread are complaining about the same thing. Not.

Dude has a 1.000+ OPS. I'd rather have my power hitters go for the HR's, RBI's, XBH's and aggressively make things happen. If that means swinging and missing a bunch too, so be it.

If Joey Votto had 150 strikeouts, he'd probably have also 100 RBI right now.

Now, if your table setters have 150+ strikeouts, that's an issue.

Needs to cut back on strikeouts? Gimme a break. I'm sure people in the Davis thread are complaining about the same thing. Not.

Dude has a 1.000+ OPS. I'd rather have my power hitters go for the HR's, RBI's, XBH's and aggressively make things happen. If that means swinging and missing a bunch too, so be it.

Davis is playing against major league pitching. He's also 27 years old and everyone gave up on him prior to last year. Plus Chris Davis in AA and AAA never struck out as much as Springer has.

Davis is playing against major league pitching. He's also 27 years old and everyone gave up on him prior to last year. Plus Chris Davis in AA and AAA never struck out as much as Springer has.

Davis also never hit as many homers as Springer. But let's look more closely:

Chris Davis age 24 season at AAA (he was struggling in the majors for most of age 23): .327/.383/.520, 2.84 K:BB

Springer age 23 season at AA/AAA: .300/.411/.606, 1.91 K:BB

And that's as of yesterday's game.

Looking solely at the number of strikeouts is, at best, an incomplete analysis.

This Brandon Wood comp is so laughable. I knew when I would look up his stats from that year I would just laugh. The guy had a whopping 6 steals while being caught 5 times. So he had 0 speed. This was also his FOURTH stint at AAA. The fact that Springer has a .311 avg with a .358 BABIP is incredible. I'd bet his true sustainable BABIP is in the .370 range and yes that is due to his speed (and power). You had to look back 5 years to compare someone who really doesn't even compare to show Springer will be a bust, while I'll just look back the past year and throw Trout out there. Can't miss spect who put up similar numbers (a little faster with a little less power) in the minors with a high BABIP. Trout put up a .383 babip for an entire major league season, that's what a speed/power combo does, nothing lucky about that.

This Brandon Wood comp is so laughable. I knew when I would look up his stats from that year I would just laugh. The guy had a whopping 6 steals while being caught 5 times. So he had 0 speed. This was also his FOURTH stint at AAA. The fact that Springer has a .311 avg with a .358 BABIP is incredible. I'd bet his true sustainable BABIP is in the .370 range and yes that is due to his speed (and power). You had to look back 5 years to compare someone who really doesn't even compare to show Springer will be a bust, while I'll just look back the past year and throw Trout out there. Can't miss spect who put up similar numbers (a little faster with a little less power) in the minors with a high BABIP. Trout put up a .383 babip for an entire major league season, that's what a speed/power combo does, nothing lucky about that.

I was about to post about KK/bb ratios and the concern that Springer has had from scouting reports. However, his KK/bb ratio since moving to the PCL has been phenominal by his standards...here's hoping to him making the appropriate adjustments. I still think Granderson is the best comparison and Trout is a bit much. But he's definitely seems to be making adjustments for the better!

I don't see the Granderson comparison. He wasn't much of a power hitter or a speedster in the minors. He had a total of 46 SBs over 1700+ ABs in the minors (while being caught 21 times). His HR totals over those 3 full season were 11, 21, and 15.