Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

George Springer - OF HOU

Fowler just got traded to HOU and reports are saying he will play CF. This isnt good news for Springer ... I was planning on targetting him late in drafts... CRAP

Actually, I think it's great news for Springer. Fowler makes their lineup a lot better. He's a nice table-setter for Springer. Springer will still make the team out of Spring Training, IMO. And if he doesn't for monetary reasons, only a matter of time before he gets the call.

Astros won that trade big time. Jordan Lyles and Brandon Barnes are garbage.

Fowler won't keep Springer from making the team, no reason to worry IMO. If he's in AAA next year it's to save money. I'm still targeting him in drafts knowing it could be 2 months before he's up.

Robbie Grossman sucks. I hope Springer has a huge spring and maybe takes over @ LF - Either way looks like ill again be targeting my Connecticut rep late in drafts

Springer should be up by June. I'm expecting Super Two to hold him back but definitely draftable. Astros will let Grossman and Hoese fight out to see who gets replaced (or an injury will take care of the open spot). I'm not too worried about the average just because his OBP is also very high. I think if he's up by June you can expect something like 15/20 from him ROS which is elite.

He'll have bouts of inconsistency. I'm thinking a good example is Desmond Jennings when he first arrived to MLB, guy was solid for the first month, then couldn't hit at all. Of course, he was also in the minors WAY longer than he needed to be as well thanks to penny-pinching. Not expecting him til Super-2 passes, but who knows. If he absolutely rakes in ST, he could force his way onto the team.

He'll have bouts of inconsistency. I'm thinking a good example is Desmond Jennings when he first arrived to MLB, guy was solid for the first month, then couldn't hit at all. Of course, he was also in the minors WAY longer than he needed to be as well thanks to penny-pinching. Not expecting him til Super-2 passes, but who knows. If he absolutely rakes in ST, he could force his way onto the team.

IMO His spring training performance will not affect his level assignment one bit. The Astros already made up their mind with him when they didn't bring him up in September. At that point, it was safe to say we won't see him til June.

IMO His spring training performance will not affect his level assignment one bit. The Astros already made up their mind with him when they didn't bring him up in September. At that point, it was safe to say we won't see him til June.

I agree. He will be a June call-up. Only thing that I am possibly worried about is if the Astros land Choo. This would really clog the OF, but I'd still expect them to make room.

Lol @ them signing choo, what is going on in this thread. Luhnow said in late august that they would debate bringing Springer up in Sep after the playoffs but that he would be up with the Astros in ST. Recently he more or less re-iterated that.

"“Fowler can play center field, Fowler can play left field,” Luhnow said. “Springer can play all three, Grossman can play all three. … Let Bo make that decision.”

Asked to elaborate by the Chronicle on Wednesday, here’s what Luhnow had to say: “Dexter’s a center fielder. But he’s athletic enough and skilled enough to play certainly center and left and probably right. We know Springer can play all three positions. … No, nothing’s in stone. It’s up to Bo and his staff to determine who’s going to play where and who’s going to play where in the lineup.”

http://climbingtalshill.com/2013/12/13/early-look-2014-lineup-card/

To me that sounds like he will start with the Astros, in one of the corner spots. If he wasn't then Luhnow would have talked about fowler, hoes, and grossman (and I guess Krauss).

I think that he will start the season up. Astros have a chance to be slightly competitive this year.

Agreed. Delaying the clock with Springer is being overstated by some members on the forum, IMO.

The fact of the matter is Springer literally has nothing more to prove in the minors and is actually long overdue to play with the big boys. The Astros have kept him down long enough.

If he has any kind of success in Spring Training and the Astros elect to keep him down, the fans will be none too pleased.

As a side note, I hope he makes the team out of Spring Training because I think it would also apply some pressure on the Cubs to do the same with Baez and/or Alcantara.

I don't think Springer gets the Super 2 treatment. Here are my reasons.

1. The CBA agreement has changed Super 2's form top 17% to the 22%. So you now have to keep someone in the minors even longer to avoid super two treatment.

2. Springer is already 24. That's pretty old for a top prospect. Rizzo a month older but a whole class older was being "Super Two-ed" in 2011.

3. Losing someone to arbitration is not the end of the world with draft pick compensation. Honestly small market teams like The Astros are gong to have to learn how to make compensation picks work if they ever want to be competitive on a regular basis.

I can see Houston keeping him down. They have taken the long view on their prospects for three years now. I don't think they're particularly concerned with appeasing the fans (at least not yet).Nor do I think Houston will be that much more competitive than they were last year.

That said, the two or three posters above me do raise a good counter-point: what about Springer's development? I think that you can concede that the team is thinking long-term, and still be confident that he'll be up on Opening Day because of the potential risk of stunting his growth, both skill-wise and mentally. He's ready. Staying down might help the team but I don't see how it helps him - and if keeping him down hurts him, by extension it hurts the team.

I think the key for those looking to add him in the spring is to just be aware that this could cut either way as we approach spring training.

I agree that he has nothing left to prove in the minors and deserves to be up with the big league club, but I still think that if the plan was for him to break camp with the team, they would have at least given him a cup of coffee last September. The signing of Fowler gives them yet another excuse to keep him in Triple A for a few more months before calling him up in June. Most casual fans in Houston still don't know that much about this kid, so I don't think there will be much of an uproar about it and, as mentioned above, the Astros still aren't going to be competitive this year, so they can afford to delay his clock just a little bit longer.

Houston is not a small market team. They just spent like one last year.

I don't think Springer gets the Super 2 treatment. Here are my reasons.

1. The CBA agreement has changed Super 2's form top 17% to the 22%. So you now have to keep someone in the minors even longer to avoid super two treatment.

2. Springer is already 24. That's pretty old for a top prospect. Rizzo a month older but a whole class older was being "Super Two-ed" in 2011.

3. Losing someone to arbitration is not the end of the world with draft pick compensation. Honestly small market teams like The Astros are gong to have to learn how to make compensation picks work if they ever want to be competitive on a regular basis.

This. You bring up a good point with Springer being 24 already, he isn't some young guy that might need more seasoning. Tampa did it with Jennings when he was 25 but they are a little different of an organization.

Well Springer may need more seasoning. But the only real way to find out is to get him in there against MLB pitching and see if he can hang. Which just about everyone thinks he can.

Even though the Astros signed Fowler the rest of their outfield is pretty bare...I could see Springer shifting to right field and make the opening day roster, especially if he has a good spring training...

Yeah ill definitely be keeping my eye on Springer in Spring training. It would be amazing if he broke camp with the team but they probably wont rush him.

Yeah ill definitely be keeping my eye on Springer in Spring training. It would be amazing if he broke camp with the team but they probably wont rush him.

That would hardly be rushing him. He's pretty well-seasoned in the minors.

That would hardly be rushing him. He's pretty well-seasoned in the minors.

Outside of Springer struggling extremely hard in spring training I don't see why he wouldn't make the team. Besides, who's jersey are they going to sell in Houston if Springer isn't on the team?

Isn't their broadcast deal is some sort of dilemma right now? I remember that last year. Over half of people IN Houston couldn't actually watch the Astros. Since Major Cable networks were not picking up CSN Houston. Being such an un-watchable team last year wasn't helping that.

Then I guess the networked filed for bankruptcy.

Point is. They need to start concerning themselves with putting a Watchable product on the field. To raise the value, and get more incentive for cable networks to pick up the Astros in its own city. With whatever TV deal they have in the works now. While a winning product usually solves all these ills(which they don't have). Springer at least gives people some reason for people to pay attention to Astro games.

They ended the season on a 14 game losing streak for Christ sake.

Guy is 24 already and turning 25 at the end of the season, they are done waiting.

I think the Wallace DFA helps both Singleton @ Springer's chances to make the OD roster. But I'm still under 50/50 Springer makes it up before June. putting myself in GM Luhnow's shoes, I'm keeping a year of control. This team is beyond terrible. Almost 90% odds they get Carlos Rodon with #1 next year.

Rodon is going to be in the draft THIS year and Astros have the #1 pick...so I'll put it at 100% they get him