Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

George Springer - OF HOU

Haha, yeah I'm an idiot. Maybe Rodon will pull a Joel Embiid or Jameis Winston and stay a year longer to refine his game. :P

I hope Springer forces his way on Opening Day, just don't want to fall down the fanboy trap.

Btw, George is now on Twitter: @gspringer_4

Where is everyone targeting this guy or projecting his draft position? I'm trying to figure out how long I can hold out before grabbing him.

Where is everyone targeting this guy or projecting his draft position? I'm trying to figure out how long I can hold out before grabbing him.

I think it is more a case when your league owners -- talking only about a new dynasty or very very deep keeper here -- suddenly start making the break for the prospects. It's kind of like the closer rush, herd mentality sets in.

I joined a new 14 team dynasty this weekend where someone bolted after Byron Buxton in round 5 (57th over all pick) probably paniced by Boagarts getting picked in round 4 at 47. I think Bogaerts so early triggered the "future young stud" avalance. Look for a tell tale sign like that. Think of Bogaerts as your canary in the coal mine maybe.

Anyway then Taveras went in the same round 5 at 66. It was at that point I decided that if I wanted Springer forever I better go for him much sooner then I planned. I got him in round 6 (81st pick). Then back to work plugging away with active players as the stampede got out of hand for some of the secondary prospects.

OTOH, I got my only other "prospect" in Jonathan Schoop in super late round 26 at #361 so things aren't too logical when human beings are left to draft. He was a bit late in my opinion compared to some of the other weird prospect grabbing I saw going in the early to late middle rounds. Prospecting for prospects isn't too rational from what I can see.

In other words, if you want Springer be prepared to move quickly and more early then you want if your fellow owners start getting paniced about prospects too early. Otherwise be prepared not to draft him.

I think it is more a case when your league owners -- talking only about a new dynasty or very very deep keeper here -- suddenly start making the break for the prospects. It's kind of like the closer rush, herd mentality sets in.

I joined a new 14 team dynasty this weekend where someone bolted after Byron Buxton in round 5 (57th over all pick) probably paniced by Boagarts getting picked in round 4 at 47. I think Bogaerts so early triggered the "future young stud" avalance. Look for a tell tale sign like that. Think of Bogaerts as your canary in the coal mine maybe.

Anyway then Taveras went in the same round 5 at 66. It was at that point I decided that if I wanted Springer forever I better go for him much sooner then I planned. I got him in round 6 (81st pick). Then back to work plugging away with active players as the stampede got out of hand for some of the secondary prospects.

OTOH, I got my only other "prospect" in Jonathan Schoop in super late round 26 at #361 so things aren't too logical when human beings are left to draft. He was a bit late in my opinion compared to some of the other weird prospect grabbing I saw going in the early to late middle rounds. Prospecting for prospects isn't too rational from what I can see.

In other words, if you want Springer be prepared to move quickly and more early then you want if your fellow owners start getting paniced about prospects too early. Otherwise be prepared not to draft him.

We're a keeper league (keep 3) with a very short bench (two bench spots) so typically only a handful of prospects are drafted each year. I guess the best course of action is to monitor the hype train as spring training progresses and adjust accordingly. We have an early draft (2nd weekend in March) so hopefully the hype isn't too out of control by then. I think I should hopefully be able to snag him late, but I'm definitely willing to grab him a bit earlier if the draft board starts leaning that way.

Thanks for the reply.

Springer was 3 homers shy of accomplishing the rare 40-40 season, in only 130 minor league games.

This guy has rare talent and will have an immediate impact when called up...With that being said, I couldn't imagine him coming up anytime before June (he still isnt on the Astros 40-man). Only way he makes the opening day roster is to absolutely demolish mlb pitching during the spring.

I believe he has the potential to hit 20 homers and steal 20 bases once he gets the mid-year call to the show. Be aware of this and prepared to draft and stash him for the first 2 months of the year

Keep in mind the Astro's will suck as bad as the did last year, and it's hard to steal bases when your down big everynight

Excited for this guy to get his chance.. Not sure though if the Astros will allow him to from the get go.. I mean seriously, does LJ Hoes and Robbie Grossman scare anyone?

The ole 0-0 with 4 walks game today. Snagged his third SB of the spring, hasn't shown any power yet though, but I like what I see. What sucks is Grossman & Krauss are playing well so far.

hard to be upset with 4 walks in one game with his third steal, I gotta believe that is what he's supposed to be working on with his free swinging ways.....i'd guess if springer some how went 0 for 0 in 30 ab's with 30 walks and hoes and grossman batted .320 with a couple homers each that springer would be with the big club at the end of spring training and starting....

hard to be upset with 4 walks in one game with his third steal, I gotta believe that is what he's supposed to be working on with his free swinging ways.....i'd guess if springer some how went 0 for 0 in 30 ab's with 30 walks and hoes and grossman batted .320 with a couple homers each that springer would be with the big club at the end of spring training and starting....

I doubt he's up before Super 2. The Astros aren't going anywhere this year and they know it, why not get an extra cheap year of Springer?

Carter/Villar/Springer = 600 K's. Hope their minors catch up with what they have now B4 the window of some of the players that fit are gone.

Springer has had to have seen more pitches than anyone this spring. Things are looking way up for Springer this Spring.

Liking the AB's he's putting together this spring. Working the count. He doesn't look like he's fooled/having trouble recognizing offspeed stuff. Dude just swings hard all the time regardless of the count

Really liking his approach, he had a 390 foot near miss today, but otherwise showing great patience and looking very comfortable at the plate.

Anyone concerned about his .385ish BABIP accompanied with only a .305ish avg and a 27ish k/rate?

Does that make him more projectable as a .250 type hitter?

Anyone concerned about his .385ish BABIP accompanied with only a .305ish avg and a 27ish k/rate?

Yes, he is not going to hit for average in the big leagues. He will get exposed. He will probably be a Mike Cameron type fantasy player when it is all said and done.

He's definitely projectable as a .250ish hitter, but he will always have a high BABIP based on his speed. He's going to beat out infield hits quite a bit. I think he's going to be Curtis Granderson with a higher OBP based on his unreal plate discipline.

Upside for this season (assuming an early June callup): .270 .380 .550 65 R 21 HR 60 RBI 25 SB

Thats insanely useful in any fantasy league. Obviously thats the UPSIDE, the downside is he hits .150 and gets sent back to AAA. I'd say thats fairly unlikely though based on his plate approach. He's not a .300 hitter though.

Yes, he is not going to hit for average in the big leagues. He will get exposed. He will probably be a Mike Cameron type fantasy player when it is all said and done.

Mike Cameron is a fair comparison, I just see Springer as drawing more walks. He had more walks in 135 minor league games last year than Cameron ever had in a full season at the minors or MLB level. He gets on base, meaning that the steals should always be there.

I've felt Cameron was a good comp for him. I like the Granderson one as well(perhaps as his ceiling)

If he can keep that BA in the .250-.270 range he'll be golden, and so will his fantasy owners.

But are the projection you are all putting out there from Super 2 on, or is this full season?

Super 2 - to end... .260 - 12hr - 50 rbi - 60 runs - 20 sb

Full season .... .250 - 18 hr - 65 rbi - 75 runs - 25 sb

To everyone with the .250 projections, can I please get a good reason why Carlos Gonzalez was a .302 hitter with a 27% K rate but Springer can't be? (Cargo also had a lower walk rate)

So Springer has had better stats all the way around in the minors than Cargo had and Cargo maintained a 27% K rate this past season in the MLB and he had no problems slashing .302/.367/.591, which were in line with his career numbers.

Springer has more power, more speed and better plate discipline than someone like Cargo..... but he's projected as a .250 hitter despite never hitting anywhere near that mark in his career thus far. Those projections just seems out of bounds.

Also before someone screams Coors Field, Cargo's away numbers last year were better than at home.

To everyone with the .250 projections, can I please get a good reason why Carlos Gonzalez was a .302 hitter with a 27% K rate but Springer can't be? (Cargo also had a lower walk rate)

So Springer has had better stats all the way around in the minors than Cargo had and Cargo maintained a 27% K rate this past season in the MLB and he had no problems slashing .302/.367/.591, which were in line with his career numbers.

Springer has more power, more speed and better plate discipline than someone like Cargo..... but he's projected as a .250 hitter despite never hitting anywhere near that mark in his career thus far. Those projections just seems out of bounds.

Interesting thought. I don't have any info to add on this subject yet, but I think it's a very valid question going off what you have posted. I plan on looking into this tonight/tomorrow.

It should be noted that Chris Davis also struck out 30% of the time the last two seasons and hit .270 and .286.

Springer's BABIP does seem unsustainable, though. It was .390 in AA and .362 in AAA this year. In High-A, it was .404. I would expect him to have a higher than normal BABIP because of his speed, but it won't be nearly that high in the Majors. Davis' BABIP the last two seasons was .335 and .336.

I definitely think Springer could hit above .250. It would not surprise me if he hit .270 a few seasons and got close to .280 even. Certain guys prove to be the exception to the rule. Some players who K a lot can still put up respectable averages, especially if they are fast and can beat out a lot of infield hits. I'm hoping Springer is one of those players. And I think anyone who says he can't is writing him off prematurely.