Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

George Springer - OF HOU

Super 2 will probably be a factor but it's not a death sentence. Miami called up Yelich and Fernandez last year.

Super 2 will probably be a factor but it's not a death sentence. Miami called up Yelich and Fernandez last year.

Miami is the only team that routinely ignores super two. Not a death sentence but it really takes out a lot of hope. Just think about recent prospects, super two has delayed pretty much every single guy. The last one I can remember that the team just brought the kid up from ST and ignored super two was Michael Pineda in 2011 with the Mariners.

I agree all this Super 2 business is stupid from a fan standpoint but for the team its a very strong incentive to retain control of a player. Id love to see it go away, but the reality is the teams are the ones that benefit and they will be the ones to keep making Super 2 a sticking point in player call ups.

Wow, Houston offered him a 7 year $23 million deal in September. He turned it down. That would have basically guaranteed him an Opening day spot. It would have bought out all his arbitration years and 1 year of FA. Smart offer and a smart reject from George. (via Rotoworld)

Wow, Houston offered him a 7 year $23 million deal in September. He turned it down. That would have basically guaranteed him an Opening day spot. It would have bought out all his arbitration years and 1 year of FA. Smart offer and a smart reject from George. (via Rotoworld)

Kind of defeats the argument that hes not ready to get called up and really makes the Super 2 issue obvious. You dont offer that to a guy whos not ready, and we all know if he had signed that hed be on the opening day roster.

Im alright with a little more minor league time though if it gets him better prepared to perform from the get go once he gets the call.

The Super 2 rule needs to be changed. It's bad for players and fans of the game.

The arbitration clock should start ticking from Double A, and change the dynamics of when arbitration and free agency come into play as part of the negotiation tactic. In this way players wouldn't be sent down for financial reasons and fans would get to see the elite players (I am not stating Springer is elite but he is potentially a high impact prospect nonetheless) sooner especially on rebuilding teams or teams out of contention. If part of the negotiation was adding on a year to the clock for arbitration and free agency fans would get to see players sooner and for longer in the MLB with their team. It would actually help the small-market teams out more and there wouldn't be any obvious losers.

The Super 2 rule needs to be changed. It's bad for players and fans of the game.

The arbitration clock should start ticking from Double A, and change the dynamics of when arbitration and free agency come into play as part of the negotiation tactic. In this way players wouldn't be sent down for financial reasons and fans would get to see the elite players (I am not stating Springer is elite but he is potentially a high impact prospect nonetheless) sooner especially on rebuilding teams or teams out of contention. If part of the negotiation was adding on a year to the clock for arbitration and free agency fans would get to see players sooner and for longer in the MLB with their team. It would actually help the small-market teams out more and there wouldn't be any obvious losers.

I mean if I was Springer, I'd be upset. Dude is probably their best hitter (or close) LAST YEAR and he's being held back this year.

Not sure what should be done. Your solution sounds sensible, but for every Springer that's being held back by the man, there are 4-5 bums on the double A squad who will never make it or have an impact. Teams take a lot of chances on guys and in theory all the guys that don't make it are pretty overpaid for years.

Now this could get interesting:

A person with knowledge of the situation told the Houston Chronicle's Evan Drellich that the player's union and George Springer's agent are considering filing a grievance against the Astros.

The basis of such a grievance is the idea that the Astros are only considering keeping Springer in the minor leagues to start the season to delay his service time clock from starting, which in turn affects his free agency down the line. It's not likely to have an impact -- if it's even filed -- as the Astros can point to Springer's shortcomings, such as the fact that he struck out 161 times last season in the minors, as their reasoning for keeping him down for a few more months of seasoning. Even though nothing will likely come of it, it's still a bad look for the club.

Source: Houston Chronicle

Mar 22 - 5:35 PM

Was looking at this guys minor league numbers and I noticed his projections, Oliver has his projection as 30 homers 30 steals in 143 games for this year. Oh, and a... wait for it... 40% K rate (.226 average). Oliver usually has pretty optimistic projections, I just thought that was funny to see a 40% k rate projection. I would love it if a guy actually pulled off a season like that.

For me the most negative part of this whole super 2 mess is how it really could effect the entire legacy of college drafted players. I LOVE that baseball has the 3 year commitment as opposed to basketballs one and done sham of the term "student athlete". Of course the percentage of players that reach the HoF is minuscule but imagine for a second that Springer becomes a perennial all star and basically become Eric Davis without the injuries. Having a MLB ready guy miss one or possibly 2 seasons of his young high ceiling years could seriously damage his career totals. Imagine a guy like Scott Rolen (being drafted at 18 aside) had two more young years and he retired with 2400 hits, 350 HR and 1500 RBI and possibly even a couple more Gold Gloves to put him at an even 10? That man would be a surefire Hall of Famer but as it stands he will probably only be considered as a great player or at the least a veterans committee guy.

I just feel so bad for a guy who could have started compiling his career numbers at 23 but because he was signed by a terrible organization he will not get his feet wet until he is nearly 25.

Also from CBS:

"Astros outfielder George Springer will open the 2014 season in the minors, but there are many who believe the highly touted prospect might not be in the minors for long to start the season. Count Astros director of pro scouting Kevin Goldstein among the people who share that opinion. "

""I think George Springer is going to spend a significant time in the major leagues this year. He's very close," Goldstein told MLB Network Radio."

Now what "significant time" means, I'm not sure.

Also from CBS:

"Astros outfielder George Springer will open the 2014 season in the minors, but there are many who believe the highly touted prospect might not be in the minors for long to start the season. Count Astros director of pro scouting Kevin Goldstein among the people who share that opinion. "

""I think George Springer is going to spend a significant time in the major leagues this year. He's very close," Goldstein told MLB Network Radio."

Now what "significant time" means, I'm not sure.

Significant time = time from super two to end of season.

So barring injury or something highly unexpected, is it a lock he gets called up in June?

nothing is a lock but I would guess its as close to a lock as its going to get, I would actually guess its more like longoria and its early like end of april start of may just a hunch though...but if he's mashing again look for it early

A nice springer day against Texas 3 for 3 1 hr 1 steal 2 bb on base five times

Showing the fans what they'll be missing until June. Glad I'm not an Astros fan.

Showing the fans what they'll be missing until June. Glad I'm not an Astros fan.

Springer will be a stud.

Where are you getting these box scores?

That particular one was just on mlb.com under scores. Soon though I'll be looking at milb.com for springers box scores.