Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

George Springer - OF HOU

1/2 with a HR, SB, and 2 BB's tonight.

Doing just fine in triple A....hoping for a call up this season.

First 6 games at AAA:

6-17, 2B, 2HR, 2SB, 4BB-7Ks htting .353-.522-.765

If he stays in the minors, he's a consensus top 10 prospect right?

First 6 games at AAA:

6-17, 2B, 2HR, 2SB, 4BB-7Ks htting .353-.522-.765

If he stays in the minors, he's a consensus top 10 prospect right?

Probably still too early to say, and it depends on whether you're talking "real-life tools" prospect lists versus "fantasy baseball" prospect lists. I see him as being higher on the latter lists, since the power plus speed combo can balance out a potentially moderate average and high K-rate in our game.

Bats that you'll likely see above Springer on lists going into 2014: Buxton, Taveras (if he's still on these lists), Sano, Bogaerts, and maybe Correa / Baez (though both are further away in single-A). Mix in Walker, Bradley, and Taillon, and that could put our boy Springer in the top 10, albeit on the lower end.

He's going to need to continue not only to hit (obviously) but to improve the walk rate and keep the K-rate at or south of 30%. I don't see the Ks as a huge red flag just yet, since (as has been discussed above) he's showing improvement thus far and, at 23, there's plenty of room for more improvement.

Springer is straight up mashing. So far today, 2-3 with 2 HOMERS! Already up to 4 HR and 4 SB in his short stint in AAA.

He really might push a call up if he continues to mash like this. I thought we would see him September at the earliest but now I think it could be this month

Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said Tuesday that he expects George Springer to remain at Triple-A Oklahoma City through the remainder of the minor league season.

Springer could come up in September, but it won't be before then. The former first-round pick continues to swing and miss a lot, but he's put up an impressive .307/.411/.594 batting line with 23 homers and 28 steals between Double- and Triple-A this season. Jul 9 - 8:26 PM

Source: Brian T. Smith on Twitter

How effing lame...

this dude is gonna be a stud late round pick next season. The astros might not be half bad next season either.

this dude is gonna be a stud late round pick next season. The astros might not be half bad next season either.

Can Springer pitch?

How late do you think he'll go in next year's draft? I'm guessing he'll be hyped up quite a bit before the season starts. I don't see him going any later than the 14th round.

3-3 so far today with 2 HR and a Triple. Has 6 HR, 5 SB already in his short stint in AAA

Lame that the Stros are just gonna keep him down there all season

I would say his strikeouts are a concern, except his OBP is over .400 this year (slightly higher than his career OBP).

That puts him into Curtis Granderson territory (overal his power and speed numbers are better than Granderson exhibited in the minors, but Granderson actually started striking out more when he hit the MLB).

How late do you think he'll go in next year's draft? I'm guessing he'll be hyped up quite a bit before the season starts. I don't see him going any later than the 14th round.

that's sitll pretty late for the stats we probably think he's gonna offer. This kid could go 2nd or 3rd round the following year.

Another 44 abs like his first 44 in triple A no way they can keep him down.

Ridiculous. I guess I'm going to have to use one of my 15 keeper spots on him without him even getting a shot this year. That is usually only reserved for guys like Harper and Trout. If I let him fall into the draft, his value goes away cuz prospects are bid up pretty big. I see him as an impact bat when he does get the call.

What do you all think his impact could be this year / next year?

Ridiculous. I guess I'm going to have to use one of my 15 keeper spots on him without him even getting a shot this year. That is usually only reserved for guys like Harper and Trout. If I let him fall into the draft, his value goes away cuz prospects are bid up pretty big. I see him as an impact bat when he does get the call.

I think the quote I heard was "he could own center field early next season." He also has a good chance of getting a september call up.

This year? Not much. I'm not a Astros follower but based on watching their drafts and reading a good piece on them in ESPN Magazine a month or two back, they seem to be taking the long view in their rebuilding efforts. They've got an impressive crop of prospects and the team seems content to bide its time (i.e., lose prolifically) as the players develop. So, as much as Springer could provide a spark to the lineup and excite the fans, calling him up anytime soon seems to run contrary to their master plan.

On the positive side, he's doing more than enough to force their hand for 2014. If he can keep up 75% of his current production at AAA, then I'd speculate that he's a shoe-in for a May/June promotion at the latest.

For this year, let's hope the club at least gives him a small taste of the majors after the minor league season ends on September 2.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, July 13, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, July 13, 2013 - No reason given

Should keeper league guys who are out of contention be stashing this guy from now?

Should keeper league guys who are out of contention be stashing this guy from now?

I would.

Assuming that the keeper league is competitive and the very top prospects are already owned... yes, absolutely. This guy is a riser for sure. Best to get in on him now. With what he's doing in AAA, there's going to be a spotlight on him.

Well he was just scooped up. Maybe the other manager reads these threads :)

But I do have Buxton and Xander stashed

Depends how deep your league is and how many keepers each team is allowed