Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

George Springer - OF HOU

If I'm an Astros fan, I'm pretty pissed right now. It's hard to sit through a season where there is literally nothing to be excited about. Springer would give their fans something to be excited about.

easily top ten prospect next season?

If I'm an Astros fan, I'm pretty pissed right now. It's hard to sit through a season where there is literally nothing to be excited about. Springer would give their fans something to be excited about.

This is honeslty doing nothing for his development. He's playing in the PCL, which is notorious for jacking up offensive numbers. It was pretty obvious he'd mash there

He needs to get his AB's at the ML level so he can go through his adjustment period there

This is honeslty doing nothing for his development. He's playing in the PCL, which is notorious for jacking up offensive numbers. It was pretty obvious he'd mash there

He needs to get his AB's at the ML level so he can go through his adjustment period there

Or or or!! Get ABs at the ML level so he can win us fantasy baseball.

I just had to stash this guy in my one league. That HR/SB combination is just too exciting to let sit on the wire. Even though I only get 10 keepers, he may find his way in as the 10th. I don't care if he hits .230 in the majors as long as he at least gives 20/20 and maybe 30/30. Just too exciting to pass up on.

Or or or!! Get ABs at the ML level so he can win us fantasy baseball.

Exactly!

easily top ten prospect next season?

Real-life? No. He's too old and strikes out too much. Buxton, Taveras, Sano, and the four young shortstops (Bogaerts, Lindor, Correa and Baez) will all be ahead of him. Mix in the elite arms (Walker, Bradley and Taillon) and you've got Springer just outside the top 10.

Fantasy? YES! We'll happily take the next Curtis Granderson. He's walking more, striking out slightly less, and despite those Ks still rocks a .520 OBP. Buxton and the SS's (likely Sano too) are all too far away to be relevant in fantasy for 2014. There's Taveras, then there's Springer, Yelich, Castellanos, Bradley and that group of guys. Of them, I like Springer for fantasy.

"He's playing in the PCL, which is notorious for jacking up offensive numbers. It was pretty obvious he'd mash there"

For AAA, the PCL is the most hitter friendly. But to suggest it his more hitter friendly than AA Texas is a bit absurd. AAA pitching is generally superior than AA ball (that is probably an obvious statement). The PCL inflates hitting statistics more so when comparing to other AAA. Coming from AA and hitting better in AAA is not the norm, but the exception.

"He's playing in the PCL, which is notorious for jacking up offensive numbers. It was pretty obvious he'd mash there"

For AAA, the PCL is the most hitter friendly. But to suggest it his more hitter friendly than AA Texas is a bit absurd. AAA pitching is generally superior than AA ball (that is probably an obvious statement). The PCL inflates hitting statistics more so when comparing to other AAA. Coming from AA and hitting better in AAA is not the norm, but the exception.

Actually its not that absurd. In the last 5 years or so teams have on average scored around .65-.7 more runs per 9 innings in the PCL than in the TL. Thats not an insignificant amount. The PCL is THE MOST hitter friendly environment of any league in the minors. That said, I do think Springer is a legit talent, but I still don't think they're calling him up until at least September. Even if he hits like Babe Ruth down there.

What does Houston have to lose?

An extra year of control and millions of dollars.

What does Houston have to lose?

An extra year of control and millions of dollars.

Bingo. He does look like a star, but why call him up now? Wait till next July and have him decently priced throughout the rest of his 20s.

What does Houston have to lose? They should call him up.

Houston is in a tight race with MIA for the 2014 1st pick. This guy looks to be a difference maker. Calling him up would not only lose an extra year of control but could also drop them down a few picks in next years draft. As an Astros fan I would like to see them get the 1st pick for another 3-4 years. Hopefully they leave him down.

Houston is in a tight race with MIA for the 2014 1st pick. This guy looks to be a difference maker. Calling him up would not only lose an extra year of control but could also drop them down a few picks in next years draft. As an Astros fan I would like to see them get the 1st pick for another 3-4 years. Hopefully they leave him down.

If they have the 1st pick for another 3-4 years, that pretty much means they won't be in contention for close to another 7 years or so. Springer deserves to be called up now. The idea of waiting to call him up next July is preposterous, IMO.

If they have the 1st pick for another 3-4 years, that pretty much means they won't be in contention for close to another 7 years or so. Springer deserves to be called up now. The idea of waiting to call him up next July is preposterous, IMO.

Hate to break it to you, but MLB GMs don't care about your fantasy team. As mentioned above, the Astros would lose a lot of money and a year of team control if they call him up now. What do they stand to gain by calling him up before July '14? Maybe a few extra ticket sales and a couple more W's? And that's if he continues to hit like he has in the minors, which is a big if. The extra year of arbitration, which would come when he is in his prime, is much much more valuable.

Thank you Single-A for breaking the shocking news that most don't seem to get. *slow clap*

Hate to break it to you, but MLB GMs don't care about your fantasy team. As mentioned above, the Astros would lose a lot of money and a year of team control if they call him up now. What do they stand to gain by calling him up before July '14? Maybe a few extra ticket sales and a couple more W's? And that's if he continues to hit like he has in the minors, which is a big if. The extra year of arbitration, which would come when he is in his prime, is much much more valuable.

The Astros will also lose a lot of money when fans stop going to games because there is no one worth watching play on that squad.

The Astros will also lose a lot of money when fans stop going to games because there is no one worth watching play on that squad.

So if Springer isn't called up in late July, the Astros fans who have been attending games all year will all of a sudden change their minds and decide that the team they've been supporting isn't worth watching anymore? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Thank you Single-A for breaking the shocking news that most don't seem to get. *slow clap*

Pretty sure most do get it, they just don't agree with it. We saw this last year when the Royals just left Myers to rot in AAA all year despite dominating

So if Springer isn't called up in late July, the Astros fans who have been attending games all year will all of a sudden change their minds and decide that the team they've been supporting isn't worth watching anymore? That makes no sense whatsoever.

He is talking about if the Astros Hold him in AAA until NEXT July. So holding him down for about a full Calendar year

Which is absurd, and actually does risk alienating your own fan base..

He could get called up at any time. They won't wait until next July, it's too long, so it's just a question of when they think he doesn't get any more benefit from AAA (69 ABs so far).

He could get called up at any time. They won't wait until next July, it's too long, so it's just a question of when they think he doesn't get any more benefit from AAA (69 ABs so far).

Roster limitations will probably delay a call-up until they expand, which coincides with the end of the minor league season... which coincides with the time frame given by Houston GM of September. My money is on September 5 - game 1 @OAK.