Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

George Springer - OF HOU

I think stashing him now is a great move. He has the potential to be the difference maker in fantasy playoffs especially if you manage to sneak in the playoffs and he starts hot he could win championships for people, that's how much potential there is here.

2-4 with 5 (!) runs and 4 RBI, Triple and 2 walks. Team scored 24 runs tonight lol

From Prospect Scott over at Razzball:

".303/.410/.597, 30 HR, 38 SB. That’s what George Springer has done this year in 113 games between Double- and Triple-A. No big deal."

From Prospect Scott over at Razzball:

".303/.410/.597, 30 HR, 38 SB. That’s what George Springer has done this year in 113 games between Double- and Triple-A. No big deal."

Very impressive. If only he could be on a different team when he comes up...

If he does well to finish the season and in spring training, there's no reason to think he won't be on the opening day roster next season, right? As long as he doesn't get a ton of hype, he could be a great late round steal.

I can't imagine him not making the team out of spring training, there is nothing left for him to do in the minors. Even on the Astros, that team will add some sneaky value to him. WIth Altuve Villar, Castro, and Wallace finally figuring it out a bit there is some RBIs and Runs to be had. I imagine he will settle in to the #3 spot in the order very quickly.

So, you don't think there will be "a ton of hype" for a rookie who batted .303/.410/.597, 30 HR, 38 SB

He's already rostered on every league I'm in

So, you don't think there will be "a ton of hype" for a rookie who batted .303/.410/.597, 30 HR, 38 SB

He's already rostered on every league I'm in

If he underperforms in spring training, he will fly under the radar. I play in a redraft and nobody has speculatively added him for September call-ups, can't say if they'd have him stashed if it's a keeper.

He's 24. Aside from the arbitration clock, it makes no sense to keep him down there until next June. If he's not up in September, he should be on the team on Opening Day 2014.

The super 3 right now is XB, Taveras, Springer. I'd take Taveras first...but after that I can't decide.

Buxton too far away from the show or you just don't think he's worthy of Top 3?

No way is springer on the level of bogaerts and taveras. Hes a top 10 prospect heading into next year, but lets not go overboard. There is way too much swing and miss in his bat to make those comparisons, not to mention he's 3 years older.

Fantasy-wise, he might be more valuable than both of them, though.

Guys with the power/speed combo he possesses are few and far between.

I know I will personally be targeting Springer before Bogaerts and Taveras.

Yep. Unless you are in a points league that subtracts points for Ks I think Springer is more valuable fantasy wise then Bogaerts and Tavares next year. I can understand the position scarcity arguement for XB, but Tavares won't be the HR/SB contributer that Springer will.

Edit: I'm referring to next year only.

To me a guy that has over 1000 OPS with 31 homers and 38 homers in 115 games with a BB rate of over 15% and a decreasing K rate making the transition from AA to AAA has monster upside especially in Houston. If Chris Carter can put up a 750 OPS with way less speed and a higher (37%) K rate and lower (12%) BB rate than GS will probably have in the majors you have to believe that GS will be able to do an 800+ OPS with huge counting stats at the CF position making him hugely valuable.

If George Springer can put up an 850 OPS going 30/30 at the MLB level next year that would mean that Taveras and Bogaerts probably won't be more valuable than him. The two of them would have to launch over 30 homers with a 900 OPS to compete with Taveras 30+/30+ counting stats.

Yep. Unless you are in a points league that subtracts points for Ks I think Springer is more valuable fantasy wise then Bogaerts and Tavares next year. I can understand the position scarcity arguement for XB, but Tavares won't be the HR/SB contributer that Springer will.

Edit: I'm referring to next year only.

Right. I'm in that type league. Just depends on your league and settings IMO. I agree with Jpask, Springer is striking out a lot in the minors, and when he gets to the Majors the pitching only gets better. At this current time, I would rather have Taveras of the three. I just think Taveras is the best hitter of the three. Springer offers more but he can hurt me the most too with his strikeouts. Now if your league doesn't count against strikeouts, I can totally understand why one might like Springer over the other two.

In any format, 5x5 or whatever, I'm keeping springer 3rd on that list and its a no brainer. The steals are great, but there's a very real chance he doesn't get on base enough to be worth it.

If we are just talking 2014 that closes the gap since its just his 24 season against their 21, but ill still go with talent over age. Especially in the case of bogaerts and his ss eligibility.

Also if we're just arguing for a 2014 redraft league the astros have no plans to compete so they could very well leave springer in the minors longer for control purposes. I'd be shocked if the other two weren't opening day starters since their teams want the best lineup on the field.

Also if we're just arguing for a 2014 redraft league the astros have no plans to compete so they could very well leave springer in the minors longer for control purposes. I'd be shocked if the other two weren't opening day starters since their teams want the best lineup on the field.

They've left him in the minors long enough. No way he starts next year in AAA.

They've left him in the minors long enough. No way he starts next year in AAA.

So why is he in the minors right now then? I get the feeling it isn't for development as his growth would be better served at the MLB level at this point.

Could it not be for potentially the same reason that he would start the season in AAA?

At this point, what's another month to gain a year of control? Its not like they care about the wins.

I realize this is the Springer thread but with posts concerning Springer, Taveras and Bogaerts I'll put in my 2 cents:

For dynasty I'm going with Bogaerts. 20 year old power hitting SS with half his games at Fenway. No one has a crystal ball but I'm taking him to be my SS for the next 10 to 15 years.

I realize this is the Springer thread but with posts concerning Springer, Taveras and Bogaerts I'll put in my 2 cents:

For dynasty I'm going with Bogaerts. 20 year old power hitting SS with half his games at Fenway. No one has a crystal ball but I'm taking him to be my SS for the next 10 to 15 years.

Dynasty changes a lot. I might be a little biased because I am a uconn alum and Springer is as well, but I would go with XB and Tavares over Springer in a dynasty format.

FWIW my personal #1 in a dynasty is Buxton...

Im just excited to see what he can do this September. I have had him stashed since late May. He could have a great impact in the Fantasy Playoffs.

The super 3 right now is XB, Taveras, Springer. I'd take Taveras first...but after that I can't decide.

Buxton too far away from the show or you just don't think he's worthy of Top 3?

Top 3 in terms of chance to be up at the majors this year and skill set.