Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

George Springer - OF HOU

George Springer belted another HR tonight. At the end of August his stats in the minors for 2013 YTD are likely to be the following:

.300 BA, 35HR, 42 SB, .405 OBP, 105 runs and 105 RBI.

I think he is hitting so well that Houston knows he is their future, and wants to ensure he is good to go when they call him up. 2013 is a dead year for them so they have little to gain calling him up this year (though I hope they give him a few weeks in September).

From a fantasy prospect view his upside is monstrously high.

George Springer belted another HR tonight. At the end of August his stats in the minors for 2013 YTD are likely to be the following:

I think he is hitting so well that Houston knows he is their future, and wants to ensure he is good to go when they call him up. 2013 is a dead year for them so they have little to gain calling him up this year (though I hope they give him a few weeks in September).

Little to gain? How about selling season tickets for next year, by getting the fanbase excited?

The attendance has been embarrassing. There's something to say about bringing up a young, spectacular, phenom to give an otherwise floundering team a shot in the arm ... and perhaps even a winning streak.

I mean, the guy seems as ready as he's gonna get.

Little to gain? How about selling season tickets for next year, by getting the fanbase excited?

The attendance has been embarrassing. There's something to say about bringing up a young, spectacular, phenom to give an otherwise floundering team a shot in the arm ... and perhaps even a winning streak.

I mean, the guy seems as ready as he's gonna get.

The only fans who care about Springer are already there. No mainstream fans are going to go watch a 100 loss team because they brought up a prospect.

And why do the Astros care about a winning streak? All that does is possibly move the first overall draft pick from them to Miami. They'll gladly keep him down in September and April to get another year of control. Possibly May too depending on how cheap they're feeling with respect to arbitration. Call it the Wil Myers treatment.

His AAA team is currently in 1st place by a couple games so that's another obstacle that could keep him down in September. I am not sweating whether he'll be up because its almost certain he will. There were if I recall articles from upper management validating that his callup this year is very likely. He'd be a great weapon in H2H playoffs and roto benches when players could get shutdown the last couple weeks.

Than you'd say that the callups of Machado, Puig, Harper, Trout had no effect on teams ticket sales? I don't know the stats, but Baltimore, Dodgers and Nats have all had big upswings in attendance this year. Angels attendance has waned as the season wore on, but last year their attendance spiked because of Trout.

I guess Springer could get called up and either stink, or have zero effect on the teams W/L record. But the guy is 24 already. In the "post-steroid era" that's prime years.

Also, the Nationals lost about 95 games in 2010 but got walkup ticket sale boosts in the thousands on nights that Strasburg pitched.

You can't compare Astro's fanbase to Rays fanbase. Houston fans, historically, have supported a product worth seeing, unlike Tampa fans.

Than you'd say that the callups of Machado, Puig, Harper, Trout had no effect on teams ticket sales? I don't know the stats, but Baltimore, Dodgers and Nats have all had big upswings in attendance this year. Angels attendance has waned as the season wore on, but last year their attendance spiked because of Trout.

I guess Springer could get called up and either stink, or have zero effect on the teams W/L record. But the guy is 24 already. In the "post-steroid era" that's prime years.

Those teams have had big upswings in attendance because they're in playoff races. That's what puts fans back in seats. As for Strasburg and Harper, they were known as generational talents from the second they were drafted. Springer doesn't have nearly that hype.

Any negligible effect he would have on attendance in September isn't worth giving up a year of team control for.

Those teams have had big upswings in attendance because they're in playoff races. That's what puts fans back in seats. As for Strasburg and Harper, they were known as generational talents from the second they were drafted. Springer doesn't have nearly that hype.

Any negligible effect he would have on attendance in September isn't worth giving up a year of team control for.

This. The Astros aren't close to being good, but man they're starting to do some things right. They won't contend for a while, and keeping Springer around for the years that they'll be relevant will be key.

Also, the Nationals lost about 95 games in 2010 but got walkup ticket sale boosts in the thousands on nights that Strasburg pitched.

You can't compare Astro's fanbase to Rays fanbase. Houston fans, historically, have supported a product worth seeing, unlike Tampa fans.

This. The Astros aren't close to being good, but man they're starting to do some things right. They won't contend for a while, and keeping Springer around for the years that they'll be relevant will be key.

To that end - if they call up Springer for September, they would add 28 days service time IIRC this year. That would mean if the 'Stros want to add an extra year of service time for future years when they are in a real position to contend than they are now, it would cost them 6-7 weeks to get that extra year. If they don't call him up at all (which would kill all stashing redraft owners, myself included) - they only have to wait about 19-20 days to get that extra year.

Add it all up - expect a callup only after the end of the AA season. And it's possible they could be playing the ST angle here to the extreme and not call him up (since he's not on the 40-man roster yet), for the reasons cited above. The 'Stros have zero shot to do anything different this year - but the extra year of team control is likely a huge factor. The 'Stros have the PR angle that he needs to continue working on cutting down his K rate and having to cut someone from the 40-man rostetr to justify the longer delay. I REALLY doubt they would wait until mid-late June, though, next year - but keep in mind that's only for Super-2 avoidance. To get the extra year, it's getting 19-20 days less service time than a full year (but you have to add any more days accumulated this year - thus the late callup)... I hope it's not the case, but I understand the concern - I'm hoping the intermediate decision is the one (callup after AA ends, around Sept. 2-3, just when FBB playoffs start).

Walks in his 1st AB then homers in his second. The kid needs to see MLB pitching already, his OBP is over .400 and his K rate is steadily decreasing. Is he a must have in keeper league formats?

Walks in his 1st AB then homers in his second. The kid needs to see MLB pitching already, his OBP is over .400 and his K rate is steadily decreasing. Is he a must have in keeper league formats?

Goes without saying.

Posted · Hidden by RotoRaysfan, August 17, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by RotoRaysfan, August 17, 2013 - No reason given

Would you keep Springer in a keeper league over S Marte and D Wright?

I'm not sure what to take away from the article. He starts off saying he's staying down then as the article moves along he seems to leave options open. What does excite me is that barring a disastrous spring training he will start the year in the Majors.

If, somehow, the OKC Redhawks gets knocked out of 1st place, and they don't make the MiLB playoffs, we could see him after sept 2. If they do make the playoffs, it could be additional days to weeks before he gets a taste of the bigs -- if at all in 2013.

Owner left the door open as well. Personally I don't think he will get the call, but if they get eliminated right away and there is still a few weeks left in Sep I think they may pull the trigger.

Astros just called up Max Stassi from AA, David Martinez from AAA, and called up and DFA'ed Wade LeBlanc. Not sure if this has any bearing on Springer. Seems he won't get the call this year before the minor league season wraps in early September, if at all. As a keeper league owner, I don't really care, though I suppose it would be good for him to get his first nerve-wracking MLB at-bats out of the way now when it doesn't matter. The pressure will definitely be on next spring.

Another HR tonight. That is 7 HR in his last 11 games and 36 HR on the season.

He is 4 HR and 1 SB away from having a 40/40 season. He still has 13 games left!