Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FouLLine

Javier Baez - SS CHC

If this guy can learn to pick and choose his pitches, he's going to be an absolute superstar. Otherwise his K rate could be a huge detriment to success in the bigs.

That puts him one behind George Springer and Ryan Rua for the minor league HR lead. And he's 20.

.415 ISO Power Post All-Star Break.

Buy low in dynasty and keeper leagues before this guy is topping the prospect charts and setting the major leagues on fire!!

.415 ISO Power Post All-Star Break.

Buy low in dynasty and keeper leagues before this guy is topping the prospect charts and setting the major leagues on fire!!

Also had more K's in july then any other month though. That K% at AA is concerning...32% is tough. The homers are great though.

Any chance he gets September call up?

Probably doubtful. Although it would make sense as the Cubs aren't in it, they may want to wait to start his clock until next year.

I wouldn't think so. Since Theo and Hoyer have entered the picture, they haven't aggressively promoted prospects. They want them to fully mature in the minors.

But he could be up with the big club next summer if all goes well.

If that K rate continues in AAA no way they bring him up in Sept.

Thanks guys. The Cubs future looks bright, they need some arms though.

Hoyer delivered a nice, transparent interview with a local radio show a few days and talked about all of the younger guys, including Baez.

Sounds like he's a definite no-go in 2013, but if he shows improvement in his approach, pitch recognition, K-rate, etc., he'll have a shot at show-me PT the following year. Everything Hoyer said about Baez is a carbon-copy of what has been said in this thread.

In the midst of multiple multi-hit games, looking to drive that average up with the high HR total.

I'm thinking we're looking at the next Ian Desmond, only with a lot more power.

Well Desmond surely is the better defender then Baez will be, and Baez clearly has a TON more power.

I'm thinking we're looking at the next Ian Desmond, only with a lot more power.

Ian Desmond will never be a 40 Homer/120 RBI guy. Baez 100% has the potential to do that in the middle infield as well. He's actually improved defensively as well.

Also - over the last 3-4 weeks his walk total has increased as he's moved up a level.

People have to remember - he's 20 years old and is often the youngest player playing at the level he currently is. And he's destroying the ball against older/more experienced competition.

Not sure why you're correcting me. I said he has "a lot more power" than Desmond...

It's a pretty good comp. They're both middle infielders who are hackers, and Desmond used to struggle defensively just like Baez is now.

Not sure why you're correcting me. I said he has "a lot more power" than Desmond...

It's a pretty good comp. They're both middle infielders who are hackers, and Desmond used to struggle defensively just like Baez is now.

I'm not correcting you. I'm stating: In terms of pure talent Ian Desmond can't hold the jock strap of Javier Baez. Baez is infinately more talented. We'll see how that translates to the major league level. It's not a good comparision.

Desmond is 27 and his best major league season is a 25/75/..846 OPS. Baez might be able to top that in his first full year (around year 22-23).

I'm not sure there is someone in the majors right now you can compare Baez to. Tulu - maybe. Baez won't hit for the high average and right now doesn't project to have some same type glove. He actually might have better power than Tulu, however.

I'm not correcting you. I'm stating: In terms of pure talent Ian Desmond can't hold the jock strap of Javier Baez. Baez is infinately more talented. We'll see how that translates to the major league level.

Desmond is 27 and his best major league season is a 25/75/..846 OPS. Baez might be able to top that in his first full year (around year 22-23).

Hyperbole. He's more talented than Desmond, sure, but to say Desmond can't hold his jock strap is asinine. As a Cubs fan, you should be happy they have him in their system. But don't put him the Hall of Fame just yet.

I'm not correcting you. I'm stating: In terms of pure talent Ian Desmond can't hold the jock strap of Javier Baez. Baez is infinately more talented. We'll see how that translates to the major league level.

Hyperbole. He's more talented than Desmond, sure, but to say Desmond can't hold his jock strap is asinine. As a Cubs fan, you should be happy they have him in their system. But don't put him the Hall of Fame just yet.

1) I'm far from putting him in the Hall of Fame - never said that.

2) And, no.. it's not hyperbole. In terms of pure talent Ian Desmond can't hold the jock strap of Javier Baez. Again, it will all depend on how he translates his infinately better skill set than Desmond to the major leagues.

From CBS:

"The Cubs will discuss moving top prospect Javier Baez off the shortstop position this offseason, ESPN Chicago reports."

""That is something this offseason we're going to have to get together as an organization and discuss it," Cubs scouting director Jason McLeod told ESPN Wednesday. "First of all where is he going to play this winter and then do we incorporate third base, second base, some other positions for him just so he has the experience? I'm sure as we get into spring training next year you'll see him taking ground balls at other positions just to see what it looks like."Baez has hit .273/.333/.612 with 11 home runs, 27 RBI and five stolen bases in 121 at-bats with Double-A Chattanooga. However, he is blocked at the shortstop position at the major league level by Starlin Castro, who is signed through 2019."

From CBS:

"The Cubs will discuss moving top prospect Javier Baez off the shortstop position this offseason, ESPN Chicago reports."

""That is something this offseason we're going to have to get together as an organization and discuss it," Cubs scouting director Jason McLeod told ESPN Wednesday. "First of all where is he going to play this winter and then do we incorporate third base, second base, some other positions for him just so he has the experience? I'm sure as we get into spring training next year you'll see him taking ground balls at other positions just to see what it looks like."Baez has hit .273/.333/.612 with 11 home runs, 27 RBI and five stolen bases in 121 at-bats with Double-A Chattanooga. However, he is blocked at the shortstop position at the major league level by Starlin Castro, who is signed through 2019."

He'll end up at third with Castro staying at short, Alcantara at second - should they all progress. Bryant will play outfield.

Baez is still incredibly young. The FO didn't want to force feed a position change while he was still so young. He's getting closer now and that's why they want him to make the change, now.

The hope is that Olt figures it out this offseason, makes the team as a third baseman and by 2015 he's trade bait along with a prime prospect + for a top line pitcher. We shall see.

Just because Desmond had his breakout season when he was 26 doesn't mean Baez is "infinitely" (and that is the correct spelling of the word) more talented than him. It just takes some guys longer to figure it out. I'm very high on Baez. I've seen him in person a few times and came away impressed. His bat speed is incredible.

Ian Desmond is a top 5 fantasy SS right now and moving forward. Baez will lose some fantasy value if he goes to the hot corner, which is a very real possibility.

To say that Baez is infinitely more talented and Desmond can't even hold his jock strap is the very definition of hyperbole. Is he more talented than Trout, too?

Just because Desmond had his breakout season when he was 26 doesn't mean Baez is "infinitely" (and that is the correct spelling of the word) more talented than him. It just takes some guys longer to figure it out. I'm very high on Baez. I've seen him in person a few times and came away impressed. His bat speed is incredible.

Ian Desmond is a top 5 fantasy SS right now and moving forward. Baez will lose some fantasy value if he goes to the hot corner, which is a very real possibility.

To say that Baez is infinitely more talented and Desmond can't even hold his jock strap is the very definition of hyperbole. Is he more talented than Trout, too?

1) Thanks for the grammar correction. Then again I didn't think I had to review my posts for grammatical mistakes on an anonymous message board. I've learned my lesson!

2) I'm not talking about fantasy - I'm talking about real life production and comparisions.

3) Mike Trout is arguably the most talented player in baseball. Superior defensive player, high average, steals bases, hits homers and drives in runs. In other words: A horrible comparision.

4) It has nothing to do with Desmond having his "breakout" year at the age of 26. Then again, I don't neccesarily think someone hitting 25 homers and driving in 74 is a superior year; it's actually just a slghtly above average ML season. He is for fantasy purposes because of the position he plays, certianly.

5) If Baez moves to third base his projectables, still, would be a .270-.280/35-40/115-120 RBI/20 stolen bases. Guess what? That's top 5 (top 2-3), by far, production at the hot corner (one of the hardest positions to fill on your fantasy roster). It doesn't hurt his fantasy projections at all.

1) Thanks for the grammar correction. Then again I didn't think I had to review my posts for grammatical mistakes. I've learned my lesson!

2) I'm not talking about fantasy - I'm talking about real life production and comparisions.

3) Mike Trout is arguably the most talented player in baseball. Superior defensive player, high average, steals bases, hits homers and drives in runs. In other words: A horrible comparision.

4) It has nothing to do with Desmond having his "breakout" year at the age of 26. Then again, I don't neccesarily think someone hitting 25 homers and driving in 74 is a superior year; it's actually just a slghtly above average ML season. He is for fantasy purposes because of the position he plays, certianly.

5) If Baez moves to third base his projectables, still, would be a .270-.280/35-40/115-120 RBI. Guess what? That's top 5, by far, production at the hot corner (one of the hardest positions to fill on your fantasy roster).

I wouldn't have felt the need to correct you, but you did it twice and are kind of being obnoxious.

I'm pretty sure people come on this forum to talk about fantasy, not how great a real life player Profar is going to be and how underwhelming he will be for fantasy.

I wasn't literally comparing Trout to Baez. Trout is infinitely more talented than Baez, and Baez couldn't hold his jock strap. I just wanted to see where you stood.

Since when is 25 HRs a slightly above average season in The Bigs? Maybe it was during the steroid era, but times have changed. This is just a ridiculous statement. Regardless of position, 25 HRs in a season is a big deal.

Also, let's see what he can do at the MLB level first before we declare he's going to be a perennial 35-40 HR guy and drive in 120 runs. Another ridiculous statement. I'm not saying he's not capable of doing that, but you're acting like it's money in the bank.

I get that you like Baez. A lot. But you are definitely putting the cart before the horse.