Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FouLLine

Javier Baez - SS CHC

Just because Desmond had his breakout season when he was 26 doesn't mean Baez is "infinitely" (and that is the correct spelling of the word) more talented than him. It just takes some guys longer to figure it out. I'm very high on Baez. I've seen him in person a few times and came away impressed. His bat speed is incredible.

Ian Desmond is a top 5 fantasy SS right now and moving forward. Baez will lose some fantasy value if he goes to the hot corner, which is a very real possibility.

To say that Baez is infinitely more talented and Desmond can't even hold his jock strap is the very definition of hyperbole. Is he more talented than Trout, too?

1) Thanks for the grammar correction. Then again I didn't think I had to review my posts for grammatical mistakes. I've learned my lesson!

2) I'm not talking about fantasy - I'm talking about real life production and comparisions.

3) Mike Trout is arguably the most talented player in baseball. Superior defensive player, high average, steals bases, hits homers and drives in runs. In other words: A horrible comparision.

4) It has nothing to do with Desmond having his "breakout" year at the age of 26. Then again, I don't neccesarily think someone hitting 25 homers and driving in 74 is a superior year; it's actually just a slghtly above average ML season. He is for fantasy purposes because of the position he plays, certianly.

5) If Baez moves to third base his projectables, still, would be a .270-.280/35-40/115-120 RBI. Guess what? That's top 5, by far, production at the hot corner (one of the hardest positions to fill on your fantasy roster).

I wouldn't have felt the need to correct you, but you did it twice and are kind of being obnoxious.

I mean 25 HRs in a season is not a slightly above average season in The Bigs. Maybe it was in during the steroid era, but times have changed. This is just a ridiculous statement. Regardless of position, 25 HRs in a season is a big deal.

Also, let's see what he can do at that level first before we declare he's going to be a perennial 35-40 HR guy and drive in 120 runs. Another ridiculous statement. I'm not saying he can't do that. But you're acting like it's money in the bank.

I get that you like Baez. A lot. But you are definitely putting the cart before the horse.

I'm being "obnoxious" because I simply called you out on the horrible Desmond comparision.

Again, 25 homers and 70+ RBI's - even after the steroid era - is a slightly above average ML season. 37 major leaguers had a higher home run output, 73 had a higher RBI output. His great fantasty potential comes from the position he plays. I'll corect that and state that Desmond had a nice season last year and appears to be on par for the same type season. I would not, however, call him an impact major league player.

I think I've been very clear in my statements: Projections. What he's projected based upon his skill set. No where, did I ever, state it's "money in the bank". On pure talent and skill level alone - Desmond cannot hold the jock strap of Baez. Baez has superior RBI/Power/Stolen Base potential.

I actually think that Baez has to be much more patient at the plate. He's 20 playing against players who are a few years older than him - that's where the projection of him improving on those numbers as well comes from.

Just because Desmond had his breakout season when he was 26 doesn't mean Baez is "infinitely" (and that is the correct spelling of the word) more talented than him. It just takes some guys longer to figure it out. I'm very high on Baez. I've seen him in person a few times and came away impressed. His bat speed is incredible.

Ian Desmond is a top 5 fantasy SS right now and moving forward. Baez will lose some fantasy value if he goes to the hot corner, which is a very real possibility.

To say that Baez is infinitely more talented and Desmond can't even hold his jock strap is the very definition of hyperbole. Is he more talented than Trout, too?

1) Thanks for the grammar correction. Then again I didn't think I had to review my posts for grammatical mistakes. I've learned my lesson!

2) I'm not talking about fantasy - I'm talking about real life production and comparisions.

3) Mike Trout is arguably the most talented player in baseball. Superior defensive player, high average, steals bases, hits homers and drives in runs. In other words: A horrible comparision.

4) It has nothing to do with Desmond having his "breakout" year at the age of 26. Then again, I don't neccesarily think someone hitting 25 homers and driving in 74 is a superior year; it's actually just a slghtly above average ML season. He is for fantasy purposes because of the position he plays, certianly.

5) If Baez moves to third base his projectables, still, would be a .270-.280/35-40/115-120 RBI. Guess what? That's top 5, by far, production at the hot corner (one of the hardest positions to fill on your fantasy roster).

I wouldn't have felt the need to correct you, but you did it twice and are kind of being obnoxious.

I mean 25 HRs in a season is not a slightly above average season in The Bigs. Maybe it was in during the steroid era, but times have changed. This is just a ridiculous statement. Regardless of position, 25 HRs in a season is a big deal.

Also, let's see what he can do at that level first before we declare he's going to be a perennial 35-40 HR guy and drive in 120 runs. Another ridiculous statement. I'm not saying he can't do that. But you're acting like it's money in the bank.

I get that you like Baez. A lot. But you are definitely putting the cart before the horse.

I'm being "obnoxious" because I simply called you out on the horrible Desmond comparision.

Again, 25 homers and 70+ RBI's - even after the steroid era - is a slightly above average ML season. 37 major leaguers had a higher home run output, 73 had a higher RBI output. His great fantasty potential comes from the position he plays. I'll corect that and state that Desmond had a nice season last year and appears to be on par for the same type season. I would not, however, call him an impact major league player.

I think I've been very clear in my statements: Projections. What he's projected based upon his skill set. No where, did I ever, state it's "money in the bank". On pure talent and skill level alone - Desmond cannot hold the jock strap of Baez. Baez has superior RBI/Power/Stolen Base potential.

I actually think that Baez has to be much more patient at the plate. He's 20 playing against players who are a few years older than him - that's where the projection of him improving on those numbers as well comes from.

And just so you know, it's impossible for someone to have superior RBI potential, unless you're referring to the strength of the line-up around them. RBIs are simply a measure of opportunity.

And how can you say Baez has better stolen base potential than Desmond? Desmond already has 2 seasons of 20+ SBs in the Majors and will have a 3rd when this season ends. Baez has 5 bags in 130 ABs at Double A and had 12 in 340 ABs in A+. That would put him on pace for right around 20-25 SBs in a full season. I guess you could say he has the potential to steal as many bags as Desmond, but to just flat out say he will steal more is misinformed. Pitchers and especially catchers in The Show are infinitely (your favorite word!) more adept at throwing out base stealers than they are in the minor leagues. I'd be willing to bet that Baez never has a ML season in which he steals 20 or more bags, considering that he will continue to grow (out of the SS position, which will really bring down his value), and speed is something that peaks at a young age.

And just so you know, it's impossible for someone to have superior RBI potential, unless you're referring to the strength of the line-up around them. RBIs are simply a measure of opportunity.

And how can you say Baez has better stolen base potential than Desmond? Desmond already has 2 seasons of 20+ SBs in the Majors and will have a 3rd when this season ends. Baez has 5 bags in 130 ABs at Double A and had 12 in 340 ABs in A+. That would put him on pace for right around 20-25 SBs in a full season. I guess you could say he has the potential to steal as many bags as Desmond, but to just flat out say he will steal more is misinformed. Pitchers and especially catchers in The Show are infinitely (your favorite word!) more adept at throwing out base stealers than they are in the minor leagues. I'd be willing to bet that Baez never has a ML season in which he steals 20 or more bags, considering that he will continue to grow (out of the SS position, which will really bring down his value), and speed is something that peaks at a young age.

Perhaps I need to bold what I'm saying: Javier Baez's skillset projects to be a ++ 40 Home Run hitter/110-120 RBI. Note: That's significantly better than Desmond and why it was a horrible comparision to begin with. Another projection: With the likes of Rizzo, Castro, Bryant, Almora, Soler, Alcantara, possibly Vogelbach all up with the Cubs in the next 2-3 years he should have a massive amount of RBI/HR potential - or why it adds to his intirgue as a power prospect.

Baez in his first minor league season had 25 stolen bases. He has more speed than Ian Desmond. That's one of his strengths.

Again - the kid has had this amount of success as a 19/20 year old in leagues where he is easily the youngest player. If you're going to hold the standard of "he's going to fill into his body" argument, one can deduce (by using your logic) he's going to improve on his power numbers which are already incredibly impressive for his age/league level.

Finally - it doesn't matter if he's a SS, 3B, corner outfielder, 2B.. if he fufills his potential putting up the type of numbers he CAN put up it won't matter the position he plays. He'll still be a top fantasy player.

Again.. it's all based on potential and projections based upon his skillset.

Baez is coming with a lot more potential than Desmond, ok brotha.

Despite not hitting any homers in a little over a week, he's put up another multi-hit game, and he's been putting up a lot of multi-hit/multi-RBI/XBH kinda games, getting that average up from the low .200s and now at about .280. He's now hit 12 HRs and 34 RBIs, .280 AVG, .900+ OPS in just 36 games and is still at SS.

Baez's walk rate by year and level:

Peoria: 3.8%

Daytona: 5.8%

Daytona: 6.2%

Tennessee: 8.4%

A double, walk and HR tonight for Baez. A fun little fact, Baez has the second highest OPS of all players in AA Southern league who have at least 100 at bats. Scary good.

K-rate 18% BB 9% for the last 12 games, too. We've seen fewer HRs but many more hits as well as some extra doubles. It's nice to see out of a kid who already has 30 homers this year.

2 hits and a BB tonight. Oh, and one of his hits was a 2 run walk off HR. just toying with AA pitching right now.

If Soler and Almora had stayed healthy this year, the Cubs might have entered 2014 with 4 prospects in the top 20.

https://vine.co/v/hOuhdi26JWK

Baez taking a knee for #31

What he's doing in AA is very impressive. If he can maintain the sub 20% K-rate and continue drawing walks like he has the past few weeks, July 2014 seems to be in reach.

Only played in 38 of roughly 120 games in the Southern League this year. Ranks 9th in league for HR, and 6 shy of the leader who has almost 300 more PAs. .293/.355/.631 in addition to an above average 8.7% walk rate at AA. In over 500 PAs across two leagues, he has a 7.1% walk rate. Kid has been insane.

What range is Baez going to be coming in on Prospect lists next year?

3-10?

4-7. Behind Buxton, Bogearts, Taveras for sure. Could be behind Sano, Correa, Lindor

IMO, he is the #1 fantasy prospect next year. He is way ahead of Bogearts for me. Obviously he will not be #1 on most prospect lists this year or next year, he will be behind Buxton, Taveras, Sano. I won't get into debating why he should be #1, I don't care if he is for you. He is only 20 years old, has 40HR/20SB potential, and will be playing in a good lineup in a good ballpark when he gets called up with the other Cubs minor league players. The concerns obviously are the K's and batting average but he's hitting .290+ right now and improving his K's lately lately. He might not stick at SS but will be an infielder at a valuable position.

This off-season should be very telling when it comes to the future prospects of Javier Baez.

Theo and Jed will weigh the impact of adding talent/wins to the 2014 roster, and if they make anything resembling a splash (Ellsbury?), then I could see Baez AND Bryant making midseason appearances, granted they continue to impress like they have. There comes a point when the benefits of winning outweighs tanking for a high draft pick, and with the Wrigley renovation deal out of the way, 2014 may be that 'point'. I'm not saying they'll compete next year, but the window for fielding an attractive roster is opening, and that means a lot for revenue and future FA pull (Not to mention FINALLY making Northside ball exciting again).

I think we'll get a clearer picture when and if Thoyer lays out their plan for where Castro/Baez/Bryant will play. If they come out this winter and say "Castro will play at 2nd," "Javier to 3rd in Iowa," or "Bryant to RF," begin the Baez 2014 hype.

#1 fantasy prospect? Kestes makes some good points.

He's definitely in the discussion. What he's doing at his age cannot be ignored. But I still like Springer the most, though. He may very well wind up having a 40/40 season in the minors.

IMO, he is the #1 fantasy prospect next year. He is way ahead of Bogearts for me. Obviously he will not be #1 on most prospect lists this year or next year, he will be behind Buxton, Taveras, Sano. I won't get into debating why he should be #1, I don't care if he is for you. He is only 20 years old, has 40HR/20SB potential, and will be playing in a good lineup in a good ballpark when he gets called up with the other Cubs minor league players. The concerns obviously are the K's and batting average but he's hitting .290+ right now and improving his K's lately lately. He might not stick at SS but will be an infielder at a valuable position.

I was calling for him to be a top for prospect (all around not just fantasy) earlier in the year.

I am entirely sold on him being the #1 fantasy prospect right now.... Buxton is an OF and Xander Bogaerts may be a little more polished and have a higher floor but his ceiling is nowhere near Javier Baez's. Yeah Baez strikes out a little too much but he swings the bat hard. Look what Chris Davis and Paul Goldschmidt are doing at the major leagues, check their strike out (as well as ower) numbers in the minors and to start the majors.

Baez is averaging 2 extra base hits every 3 games at the AA level. That is an incredible rate.

His OPS at AA is now over 1.000 well above Puig who has the second highest OPS of all players in the Southern League who had at least 100 at bats.