Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FouLLine

Javier Baez - SS CHC

Cubs GM Jed Hoyer suggested Thursday that the team has no immediate plans to promote Baez, ESPN Chicago reports. "We would love to get him going and not just for a week to 10 day hot stretch," Hoyer said. "We want him to get into a rhythm and get established down there."
Spin:Hoyer did add a caveat, saying an "urgent need" could change things, but it sounds like the Cubs may be content to leave Baez down until rosters expand in September. Thursday's game with Triple-A Iowa marked Baez's 14th since returning from a finger injury. He went 17-for-55 (.309 average) with three homers and 16 strikeouts in his first 13 games back.

I'm dumbfounded by that quote by Mr. Hoyer...Baez only has 126 more games and 454 more AB's in the minors than Addison Russell did and that's overall minors career numbers.

Taking into account just time at AAA and it's even worse -

Russell - 14 games, 57 AB's, .263 BA, .271 OBP, .386 SLG, .657 OPS with a 16:1 K/BB ratio (16 K's per BB)

Baez - 151 games, 575 AB's, .273 BA, .339 OBP, .522 SLG, .860 OPS with a 187:51 K/BB ratio (3.7 K's per BB)

I totally understand that Baez could use more time in AAA but don't rush one prospect up who wasn't having nearly the success in the minors that Baez has & then turn around to say the reason Baez isn't coming up anytime soon is because he needs to show a longer stretch of success than he has at AAA when Russell barely got a cup of coffee in AAA (with underwhelming results) before being promoted....to predictably underwhelming production.

If this isn't the double-standard of the year, I don't know what is....did Jed Hoyer sleep through May when Baez was heating up andslashing .314 BA/.392 OBP/.505 SLG/.896 OPS over 29 games? Was that not long enough to be considered "into a rhythm and established"? It's certainly longer than "a week to 10 day hot stretch" for crissakes.

Again, I get that Baez could use more time but that quote makes me think Hoyer is borderline retarded or has the memory of the dood in that movie Memento.

That means nothing. You often see those type of remarks from GMs just before calling the player up (See Conforto). The real issue here is that a trade needs to be made and Castro has found a new way to stick around (by sucking). Unfortunately it may not be feasible until the offseason.

Important 3 game series with SF this weekend. Hopefully the Cubbies fall out of the WC spot to the Giants and they call him up by next week. A man can dream, right?

Nightingale just reported that Maddon told Castro he is no longer the primary starter at SS, so it looks like this lineup could be the norm going forward.

Nightingale just reported that Maddon told Castro he is no longer the primary starter at SS, so it looks like this lineup could be the norm going forward.

Didn't see that coming. Certainly changes my view on Baez' callup. I can see why you might want Castro over Baez, but Coghlan? Eh...

This lineup is probably more so to get Schwarber and Coghlan's left handed bats in the lineup.

Have to believe a Baez call up is imminent.

The benching of me has more to do with getting Kyle Schwarber's bat in the lineup or that's at least what Maddon told me.

Unless they can trade Castro, I don't see it

Yeah they will ride out Castro to try to build trade value for him... The longer The Cubs go without moving one of Baez or Castro the more it makes sense to move Castro and keep Baez.

Yeah they will ride out Castro to try to build trade value for him... The longer The Cubs go without moving one of Baez or Castro the more it makes sense to move Castro and keep Baez.

You're probably right, but I don't quite understand how giving a struggling player more playing time improves his trade value.

I kind of think the benching is either meant to motivate Castro and he'll be back in the lineup in a couple of days, or (more likely) to soften the blow of the next news blurb which is "Castro needs at bats and isn't going to get them on the big league roster so he's going to work on stuff at AAA".

Weather Baez gets called up is another story, but I'm hopeful that he will.

You're probably right, but I don't quite understand how giving a struggling player more playing time improves his trade value.

I kind of think the benching is either meant to motivate Castro and he'll be back in the lineup in a couple of days, or (more likely) to soften the blow of the next news blurb which is "Castro needs at bats and isn't going to get them on the big league roster so he's going to work on stuff at AAA".

Castro has had a bad season... His trade value can only really go up from where it is... If The Cubs give up on him that just lets all other teams know he isn't worth it.

Expect Baez in late August / September when rosters expand for sure.

Castro is a proven big league hitter.... It isn't likely that a demotion to the minors (which he doesn't have options) is going to help him much. Castro either needs to get it together or fake an injury at this point...

Castro is a proven big league hitter.... It isn't likely that a demotion to the minors (which he doesn't have options) is going to help him much. Castro either needs to get it together or fake an injury at this point...

Kind of wondering if maybe they want to DFA him to see if any trade partners step up. Longshot probably...

Stole two more bases tonight. :wub:

SAC fly and no K's either. :)

Stole two more bases tonight. :wub:

SAC fly and no K's either. :)

He keeps racking up the numbers... I hope you all bought low on him.

Hint: his BABIP is still very, very high. He's good but probably not this good.

Hint: his BABIP is still very, very high. He's good but probably not this good.

I wouldn't say very high... His MiLB career is .337 and Baez's skillset profiles as a high BABIP guy. Hits the ball very hard, strikes out a lot.

But he has been cooling off.... His August hasn't been all that great.

2 walks and no K's. #FreeBaez

Another walk today... 0/2 1BB, 1K. Patience is the main thing Baez needs to work on. Patience and pitch recognition...

Another walk today... 0/2 1BB, 1K. Patience is the main thing Baez needs to work on. Patience and pitch recognition...

1/3 now with a BB.... Got his hit to break up his 4 game hitless streak.

What's the deal with Castro? Benched for 3 straight days. Can't image Coghlan is the long term 2B so let's get Baez up.

What's the deal with Castro? Benched for 3 straight days. Can't image Coghlan is the long term 2B so let's get Baez up.

Your point that coghlan is not the long term 2B is the reason Baez should just stay in the minors. Cubs are on fire and in a pennant race. Stirring the pot with a 21-year old isn't the right move for the team. And Javier has plenty to work on.