Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FouLLine

Javier Baez - SS CHC

What's the deal with Castro? Benched for 3 straight days. Can't image Coghlan is the long term 2B so let's get Baez up.

Your point that coghlan is not the long term 2B is the reason Baez should just stay in the minors. Cubs are on fire and in a pennant race. Stirring the pot with a 21-year old isn't the right move for the team. And Javier has plenty to work on.

Yeah I agree. The cubs have rapidly melted away their little cold streak post ASB. It would be an unnecessary risk.

What's the deal with Castro? Benched for 3 straight days. Can't image Coghlan is the long term 2B so let's get Baez up.

Your point that coghlan is not the long term 2B is the reason Baez should just stay in the minors. Cubs are on fire and in a pennant race. Stirring the pot with a 21-year old isn't the right move for the team. And Javier has plenty to work on.
Yeah I agree. The cubs have rapidly melted away their little cold streak post ASB. It would be an unnecessary risk.

What's the risk exactly?

What's the risk exactly?

Messing up chemistry and having Javy go through another terrible stretch in the middle of a razor thin playoff race?

What's the risk exactly?

Messing up chemistry and having Javy go through another terrible stretch in the middle of a razor thin playoff race?

I highly doubt replacing Coghlan with Baez would mess up chemistry. They just benched their every day shortstop so they clearly aren't worried about mixing it up. And if Baez struggles, they aren't stuck with him. Send him back down. I see zero risk and potentially high reward.

What's the risk exactly?

I highly doubt replacing Coghlan with Baez would mess up chemistry. They just benched their every day shortstop so they clearly aren't worried about mixing it up. And if Baez struggles, they aren't stuck with him. Send him back down. I see zero risk and potentially high reward.

They replaced Castro because he's been abysmal offensively, worse defensively with repeated mental lapses in the field. The point is Couglan has been solid defensively, and adding some offensive help.

The point is that Baez coming up: 1) Might not be ready after last seasons MLB failure 2) He potentially would disrupt a team on fire right now 3) IF he comes up and fails again in the heat of a pennant race, his confidence might get shot OR his trade value completely shot.

Playing devil's advocate...what if the terrible stretch he went through last year down the stretch was his acclimation period that he's gone through after every promotion & he comes up and starts producing in ways Castro & Russell have failed to do all season long?

Playing devil's advocate...what if the terrible stretch he went through last year down the stretch was his acclimation period that he's gone through after every promotion & he comes up and starts producing in ways Castro & Russell have failed to do all season long?

Why would you tinker with a team who right now is one of the best teams in baseball on a hope that a young player can come in, and immediately produce under the pressure of a pennant race? Also: The notion for him to have sustained success at AAA both for his confidence level AND for potential trade value.

Theo/Jed have shown time and again that they are aggressive. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did bring him up. Saying that, I think they would have done that when the Castro benching - brought Baez up and started playing him at second.

Well, today is a day off for both the big league club and AAA Iowa.

Hope that today is a travel day for Baez.

Why would you tinker with a team who right now is one of the best teams in baseball on a hope that a young player can come in, and immediately produce under the pressure of a pennant race? Also: The notion for him to have sustained success at AAA both for his confidence level AND for potential trade value.

Theo/Jed have shown time and again that they are aggressive. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did bring him up. Saying that, I think they would have done that when the Castro benching - brought Baez up and started playing him at second.

End of August at the earliest... Likely he's a September call up. Cubs already brought him up too early they may as well be sure this time.

End of August at the earliest... Likely he's a September call up. Cubs already brought him up too early they may as well be sure this time.

I agree they just wait until Sept. Its tough because they have Castro playing a PT role at 2B now. If they bring Baez up they will have Castro and Baez both in PT roles.

I agree they just wait until Sept. Its tough because they have Castro playing a PT role at 2B now. If they bring Baez up they will have Castro and Baez both in PT roles.

Cubs may even trade for Utley on waivers.... The plot thickens...

4 straight 2 hit games.

Streak broken by a 3 hit game last night...also had a walk and no K's. Average is up to .302 on the season.

move bryant to left and baez to third. get all the young guns in the line up. thats what id do.

hope this implies Schwarber behind the plate and not benched! haha

Has nothing left to prove, just a matter of days now. Either Cubs get tired for soler, or Castro, he will be up very soon

10 days to be precise. He'll come up in September. He'll pinch hit. He'll play the occasional INF. I don't think he will be an everyday player in September unless he starts hitting and doesn't stop, which isn't his profile as a batter.

Can you imagine if this kid has finally figured it out, and he's a fixture at second? His power profile, elite glove in between the Cubs current lineup/youngsters... wow.

10 days to be precise. He'll come up in September. He'll pinch hit. He'll play the occasional INF. I don't think he will be an everyday player in September unless he starts hitting and doesn't stop, which isn't his profile as a batter.

Really, really hope that he doesn't get enough starts at 2B and that his natural SS position sticks going into 2016. Would be huge to have his power/speed potential at SS/2B. If he could get the min starts at 3B early next season that would be gravy.

Dude could be one hell of a super-utility piece next year.

move bryant to left and baez to third. get all the young guns in the line up. thats what id do.

hope this implies Schwarber behind the plate and not benched! haha

If Bryant gets moved to LF Schwarber needs to be a C... Which I think Schwarber can be your #2 catcher but he can't catch 85-90 games a season.

I honestly think Castro would move to 3B before Baez anyway.

So best case scenario is Castro gets traded for some young pitching, Bryant stays at 3B (which he's exceeded expectations there) and Schwarber is a C/LF catching 50 some games a season.

Really, really hope that he doesn't get enough starts at 2B and that his natural SS position sticks going into 2016. Would be huge to have his power/speed potential at SS/2B. If he could get the min starts at 3B early next season that would be gravy.

Dude could be one hell of a super-utility piece next year.

I hope everyone bought low on Baez.... The kid still has Super Star potential.

The Bad: broke his streak of multi-hit games

The Good: had a hit, a SB, and no Ks

The hitting streak continues though. I've been impressed with how consistent Baez has been this season despite battling injuries and how bad it went for him at the major league level last year.