Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FouLLine

Javier Baez - SS CHC

Less excited w uggla comparison.

Uggla with more speed and less walks and 2B/SS eligibility would still be an absolute stud of a fantasy player.

It's also worth noting that Uggla debuted at age 26. Baez is 22. Plenty of more time to mature as a batter so while I doubt he's a .300 batter in the future, there's every reason to believe he'll work that average up a bit.

Uggla is a pretty lazy comp for him. Hes a guy that's gonna hit 30 and steal 15-20 bags. His k rate is the lowest its been since A ball(24.7%). His .315 BA is being driven by a high BABIP(.388), but even a regression to .335 .350ish range, which is a fair range for a guy with that that speed and that hits the ball as hard as he does, and you still have a decent average to go with the power and speed.

I picked him up. i feel like he'll get the call within the next week.

Yeah once rosters expand he'll be up.

Baez could be super utility and play all over in September. not only has he played 2B and SS, he played 3B in his most recent game.

David Kaplan @thekapman 6h6 hours ago

We just talked w/Jed Hoyer on @KapandHaugh and he left open possibility w/Soler out Bryant could play RF. Baez 4-4 last night + played 3rd.

Baez could be super utility and play all over in September. not only has he played 2B and SS, he played 3B in his most recent game.

David Kaplan ‏@thekapman 6h6 hours ago

We just talked w/Jed Hoyer on @KapandHaugh and he left open possibility w/Soler out Bryant could play RF. Baez 4-4 last night + played 3rd.

Just as long as they try to give him as close to every day ABs as possible.

Javier Baez with 3 infield position eligibility for 2016, in dynasty signed for cheap $$ for 4 years....please let this happen.

Well not sure if this really means much but The Cubs did bring back Emilio Bonifacio on a minor league contract... I'm thinking he'll be used as more of a pinch runner option than anything.

Well not sure if this really means much but The Cubs did bring back Emilio Bonifacio on a minor league contract... I'm thinking he'll be used as more of a pinch runner option than anything.

They also brought on Quinten Berry. I'm quite sure that both were signed to fight it out for the designated pinch runner when rosters expand.

I caved. I've been man crushing all year waiting for the chance. Had to pull the trigger.

I caved. I've been man crushing all year waiting for the chance. Had to pull the trigger.

What did you give up for him? I reluctantly traded for him, but he was a smaller part of the deal

Fantastic article on Baez's 2015 season and a glimpse into some of the personal challenges he's had to overcome this season. It's long but is well worth the read.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13512551/after-loss-injury-javier-baez-ready-cubs

Great read & pics. Didn't know all that about his sister... (Someone choppin' onions...?) ....this guy definitely has his priorities straight & seems a humble, grounded guy.

Go Javy....!

What did you give up for him? I reluctantly traded for him, but he was a smaller part of the deal

He was available in free agency. Not a dynasty or a big keeper. I dropped doolittle before his meltdown today thankfully. What was the trade?

Been holding and dropping the guy for all season. He is like an ex I can't let go. That said I will be very upset if he is not up September 1

Been holding and dropping the guy for all season. He is like an ex I can't let go. That said I will be very upset if he is not up September 1

Hahaha I love the analogy

Castro may have tweaked an oblique today...

Watch... Alcantara will get the call now. smh

Castro may have tweaked an oblique today...

Watch... Alcantara will get the call now. smh

LOL yeah that would piss a lot of people off (me included) and be quite hilarious at the same time.

Joe Maddon actively wanted Baez on the Opening Day roster as he loves his positional flexibility, and thinks the kid can win a Gold Glove at second and supplies SOME speed. The Cubs FO didn't think he was ready, after his cup of tea up in the Majors last year. To those of you thinking he's going to come up to the Majors and steal 25-30 bases (and I"m not saying there are many) that isn't going to be the case.

I PRAY this kid did figure things out this season in AAA & comes up and is the top prospect everyone thought he had a chance to be. Not only would it give the Cubs FO some flexibility to make off season trades, they potentially have another elite bat in the middle of an already loaded/young lineup.

Almora, McKinney, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Schwarber, Jimenez, Torres, Vogelbach, Soler, Contreras even lump Rizzo in there - the Cubs have a plethora of loaded/young/elite talent to either trade from or have up on the big league roster.

Could he be a top 100 player next year?

With his tools absolutely. He could also be absolutely worthless. All depends on how much of the progress he has made in AAA translates.

With his tools absolutely. He could also be absolutely worthless. All depends on how much of the progress he has made in AAA translates.

High risk high reward player... We should get a look at him pretty soon here after rosters expand.

High risk high reward player... We should get a look at him pretty soon here after rosters expand.

I hope so. He's sliding right into my 2B spot if he does. Hopefully he can at least catch a few pitchers off guard early on.