Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FouLLine

Javier Baez - SS CHC

Ok there were some good ones from the mid-80s..not to mention Palmeiro too. ... maybe I should have said 90s and beyond. Prior and Wood were billed as future HOFers..and sure had the talent to be but I consider both of their career miserable failures. Let's see, Orie, Walton, Dwight Smith, Luis Montañez, Gripp, Vitters, Brett Jackson, Angel Guzman..these are just off the top of my mind. Doesn't leave me too bullish about Baez, Almora, Soler, Vogelbach, etc. Maybe Baez will beat the Hendry Trend and I'm just Biased against him

Pretty sound reasoning as to why not to like Cyvs prospects.

You believe in flying Billygoats too? :)

And the Angel fans who stopped believing after Brandon Wood, McPherson ad etc. missed on Trout...and the more you look at it that way you can get through most teams in the league with an exception.

Ok there were some good ones from the mid-80s..not to mention Palmeiro too. ... maybe I should have said 90s and beyond. Prior and Wood were billed as future HOFers..and sure had the talent to be but I consider both of their career miserable failures. Let's see, Orie, Walton, Dwight Smith, Luis Montañez, Gripp, Vitters, Brett Jackson, Angel Guzman..these are just off the top of my mind. Doesn't leave me too bullish about Baez, Almora, Soler, Vogelbach, etc. Maybe Baez will beat the Hendry Trend and I'm just Biased against him

And the Angel fans who stopped believing after Brandon Wood, McPherson ad etc. missed on Trout...and the more you look at it that way you can get through most teams in the league with an exception.

Never thought of the Angels that way. Edmonds, Salmon, K-Rod, Anderson, Glaus, Weaver come first to mind. Sure, every organization has their bust(s), but to me the problem seems systemic with the Cubbies.

Never thought of the Angels that way. Edmonds, Salmon, K-Rod, Anderson, Glaus, Weaver come first to mind. Sure, every organization has their bust(s), but to me the problem seems systemic with the Cubbies.

I understand the skeptism (is it battered fans syndrome?) but I wouldn't dismiss him due to Baez being a Cub. I'd still treat him as a top 10 or higher prospect.

Ignore everything you've heard about or seen from Javier Baez. The 40 HR power at age 20 in the minors. The efficient 20 stolen bases. The steadily improving K and BB rates AFTER promotion to AA.

Throw this kid on all future DND lists.

Because Corey Patterson and billy goats.

No doubt, Matthew. The Cubs have had some overhyped prospects like Patterson and Pie, but have never had a 20 year old hit 34 HRs while playing a premium position. And I think Bryant will be even better. Good time to be a patient, non-superstitious Cub fan.

No doubt, Matthew. The Cubs have had some overhyped prospects like Patterson and Pie, but have never had a 20 year old hit 34 HRs while playing a premium position. And I think Bryant will be even better. Good time to be a patient, non-superstitious Cub fan.

I agree - and that's incredibly scary (in a good way!)

I also really like Almora, Soler looked like the best prospect in their system late last year, and Alcantara still projects as an everyday player. 2015 is going to be mighty fun on the North Side.

Just hit his 19th HR in AA and 36th of the year.

If any of you guys live near Arizona you might want to check out some AFL games. Baez, Bryant, Almora and Soler will all be playing.

At this point it seems pretty realistic that he might break camp with the big club next season, no?

Cubs aren't going to be contenders next year, so why bring him up before June? I guess it depends also on where they'll play him. If they're thinking 3rd, I'd imagine he definitely starts in AAA. They have Olt and Vitters, who aren't in Baez's class, but I think one of them would start off manning 3rd.

At this point it seems pretty realistic that he might break camp with the big club next season, no?

No

No

What are the odds on him getting called up in June?

They need to figure out the Castro/Baez/maybe Bryant/God forbid Olt and Vitters dynamic.

I'll be interested to see where Baez plays in the AFL. He could get reps at a new position, maybe 3rd, with Addison Russell at SS. If that's the case you'd expect a few months at AAA to begin 2014.

With everything that has gone on with the Cubs, there is no way in hell they will rush this kid up. There is such a thing as being in the minors "too long," but at 20 years of age I don't see that being an issue here.

A Sept call up next year is probably the soonest we'll see him with an eye towards breaking camp in 2015.

It's been 100+ years for the Cubs. Another year isn't going to break them.

I don't see them have him playing 3rd all next year. I think Olt gets the first shot at that. If Castro has another down year next year he could be playing his way out of Chicago.

Baez could easily hit his way up by June next year. Makes sense too if he dominates the minors out of te gate. I could see how an extended slump or two in minors would push him to Sept. I also don't think he needs to be seasoned much to slide over to third or OF, maybe a bit if going to 2nd. I also think Castro returns to form but it does make sense to hold Baez at SS to keep pressure on Starlin.

In the end, if he continues where he left off next year I think June is reasonable to see up. And at this point, if that happens, he could be at SS, 2nd, 3rd or OF. Hope he lands at MI, when he finally makes it.

I'm not sure if in this thread this has been posted - if it has, I do apologize.

_________

http://espn.go.com/b...switch-for-baez

"That is something this offseason we're going to have to get together as an organization and discuss it," Cubs scouting director Jason McLeod said on Wednesday. "First of all where is he going to play this winter and then do we incorporate third base, second base, some other positions for him just so he has the experience? I'm sure as we get into spring training next year you'll see him taking ground balls at other positions just to see what it looks like."

McLeod says that's the pattern for players who might have to switch positions.

"Typically it starts to happen when a guy gets into Double-A and now you're thinking he might be within a year of arriving in the major leagues," McLeod said.

Not only is Baez switching positions, he's going to start it this offseason in the AZFL. And he will be up in June if he remotely hits as he has this entire season. What a power prospect this kid is.

Baez has been really clutch in the playoffs for his team. On Saturday he hit a HR (415 ft? I think) to give his team the lead and tonight he hit a absolute bomb estimated at 432 ft. to give his team the lead again.

Baez has been really clutch in the playoffs for his team. On Saturday he hit a HR (415 ft? I think) to give his team the lead and tonight he hit a absolute bomb estimated at 432 ft. to give his team the lead again.

The Cubs should keep him down until 2016, at least. Gotta have that cost control.

The Cubs should keep him down until 2016, at least. Gotta have that cost control.

Should they? Eh. Many of the Cubs top MILB hitters are already very advanced for their age. Bryant, Soler, Almora and Baez should all be ready to make impacts in 2015, which would immediately make the Cubs contenders in their division. They also have some pitchers who should be ready by then like Edwards and Johnson. Plus, I'm hearing they may go out and sign a guy like Ellsbury or Choo. Cano and Price have also been linked to them.

I guess this comment comes from my opinion on the George Springer thread? Two different situations IMO. Again, I would love if both were up opening day next year, but I understand if they are kept down till June of next year or June of 2015 in Baez's case.

Should they? Eh. Many of the Cubs top MILB hitters are already very advanced for their age. Bryant, Soler, Almora and Baez should all be ready to make impacts in 2015, which would immediately make the Cubs contenders in their division. They also have some pitchers who should be ready by then like Edwards and Johnson. Plus, I'm hearing they may go out and sign a guy like Ellsbury or Choo. Cano and Price have also been linked to them.

I guess this comment comes from my opinion on the George Springer thread? Two different situations IMO. Again, I would love if both were up opening day next year, but I understand if they are kept down till June of next year or June of 2015 in Baez's case.

Gonna take a shot in the dark and say he was joking.

Gonna take a shot in the dark and say he was joking.

Obviously he was being sarcastic, but I was just trying to make the point that Springer and Baez are in very different situations.