Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

calzonesays

Byron Buxton - OF MIN

This guy can't stay healthy. I just read he dislocated his finger diving for a ball in the AFL. They are now saying it's not dislocated but he is heading for X-rays. His AFL season is likely over. Stop diving for fly balls!!!

The Twins have invited top outfield prospect Byron Buxton to major league spring training.

The Twins announced Friday that they have invited 18 minor leagues to spring training as non-roster invitees, with Buxton and Jose Berrios headlining the crop. The 21-year-old outfielder was limited to only 31 games in 2014 due to a variety of ailments and then fractured a finger during play in the Arizona Fall League. He's expected to be fully healthy and ready to go for the start of spring training.

Source: Brandon Warne on Twitter

Fri, Dec 19 2014 7:03 PM

What's the chance he makes the team? He really has nothing to prove except to stay healthy.

He won't make the team.

He has everything to prove, and that includes staying healthy and attempt to hit somewhat decent pitching (which he will start seeing in AA-ball.)

First he has to regain his form, then prove he can improve and develop further.

Nothing to prove?

He is already an all star caliber player. His ability puts him up there with Trout and Miggy. Many players have skipped AA and AAA. Blah blah blah.

Go!

Twins general manager Terry Ryan said top prospect Byron Buxton could make his major league debut this season.

"I don't see him breaking camp with us but I do see maybe surfacing in the major leagues in 2015," Ryan told Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. Buxton played just 31 games in 2014 due to injury, so he'll likely begin the season at Double-A. He's still just 21 years old, though, and has as high an upside as anyone in the minors. When he does surface in the majors, he'll be a must-own for fantasy purposes.

Twins general manager Terry Ryan said top prospect Byron Buxton could make his major league debut this season.

"I don't see him breaking camp with us but I do see maybe surfacing in the major leagues in 2015," Ryan told Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. Buxton played just 31 games in 2014 due to injury, so he'll likely begin the season at Double-A. He's still just 21 years old, though, and has as high an upside as anyone in the minors. When he does surface in the majors, he'll be a must-own for fantasy purposes.

so september

Im not asking this following question to troll, im genuinely curious.... But why is buxton ranked so high as a prospect? Ive looked at his numbers via baseball reference and i wasnt exactly awe inspired at all. Where does the love for him come from?

Im not asking this following question to troll, im genuinely curious.... But why is buxton ranked so high as a prospect? Ive looked at his numbers via baseball reference and i wasnt exactly awe inspired at all. Where does the love for him come from?

The tools, the projectability, and how advanced he is for his age. Last year was a lost season, with his injuries and 137 PAs.

What he did in 2013 across Low-A and High-A as a 19-year old is a lot more indicative of the prospect he is. People need to put on the breaks with the Trout comps (especially when it comes to power), but there is a lot to like about Buxton.

Real baseball.. He plays up the middle, CF. Legit 80 grade speed = plus defense and baserunning. With a plus arm. Hit tool projects as plus with potential for plus power down the road. A lot to dream on with him. Some scouts said he was the best athlete to come along in 5 plus years or so.

He was raw coming out and did really well his first season. His second year was injury plagued and tough to draw any conclusions from. Hopefully, he stays healthy this year and we can see what he really might be at AA.

With Buxton, it really comes down to his power output. Will he be a 15hr, 40 sb .280 guy. Or will he be a 25hr, 40sb, .280 monster that might be the best fantasy player in baseball?

We'll learn more real soon. AA should be a good test and should reveal a bit more of who he will become.

Real baseball.. He plays up the middle, CF. Legit 80 grade speed = plus defense and baserunning. With a plus arm. Hit tool projects as plus with potential for plus power down the road. A lot to dream on with him. Some scouts said he was the best athlete to come along in 5 plus years or so.

He was raw coming out and did really well his first season. His second year was injury plagued and tough to draw any conclusions from. Hopefully, he stays healthy this year and we can see what he really might be at AA.

With Buxton, it really comes down to his power output. Will he be a 15hr, 40 sb .280 guy. Or will he be a 25hr, 40sb, .280 monster that might be the best fantasy player in baseball?

We'll learn more real soon. AA should be a good test and should reveal a bit more of who he will become.

Scouts keep saying that he should be a .300+ hitter. McCutchen is the possible comp I've heard that makes sense. He's got an extremely quick bat.

It seems like he's made of nothing but fast twitch muscle fibers.

The next Brandon Wood......

I'm sure you are looking for the Javier Baez thread.

Buxton and Wood have nothing in common outside of being top prospects at one time or another.

Sorry if this is a well known thing but has he been assigned to a specific minor league camp? I ask because I live in New Britain at college and would love to see him play a bit. Will he be back in A or will he be up to AA

Sorry if this is a well known thing but has he been assigned to a specific minor league camp? I ask because I live in New Britain at college and would love to see him play a bit. Will he be back in A or will he be up to AA

Go CCSU!

LaVelle E. Neal III @LaVelleNeal · 59m 59 minutes ago

Byron Buxton is 4-for-6 with a double and triple today for Class AA Chattanooga

Has had a slow start to the year up to today's game as he was 3/19 with 1 HR and 9 K's (4 games) coming into today. Having an awesome day today though with the 4/6 day. Hopefully he can get on a bit of a roll here and continue to build on the numbers he put up in 2013.