Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

calzonesays

Byron Buxton - OF MIN

so we should be expecting a call up before september at the earliest if that? i just want to make sure my expectations are in check with the rest of the community.

Unless he force the issue with an explosive season, I wouldn't expect him to be up before September. Even in a best case scenario, I wouldn't expect to see him before the ASB. Could be wrong though.

Love Buxton, still believe in his ability to be a future star, but last year's struggles make an early call up so unlikely. I don't worry about the struggles as much as the missed time means Buxton lost AB's he needed to develop - so hard to see him make the multi-level jump now.

MIN's struggles to start the season aren't really forcing the issue, either. That team looks so devoid of any contention ability for 2016, let alone this year, that the business case to start the clock next year will be incredibly compelling. Hate to say it as I love the guy, but he's going to have to put up a player-of-the-year level performance - and even then, as we saw with Bryant last year, if the team isn't going to contend, it still might not be enough.

yeah, this is what i was thinking as well to be honest. was hoping i was being a bit too conservative, but it really doesn't make sense that they would call him up unless he truly forces their hand. and i agree as well, that the only way he can force their hand is by putting up player-of-the-year numbers ala bryant last year.

so, assuming he comes up in september as a best case scenario, then should we think that he will be handled in next year's draft as bryant was in this year's draft? i doubt the hype train will be as strong as it was for bryant, but i assume he will still be targeted within the top 200 picks of even redrafts? it probably goes without saying that he should be off the board much earlier in keepers.

so we should be expecting a call up before september at the earliest if that? i just want to make sure my expectations are in check with the rest of the community.

I just don't see him being up this year. He's missed so much time the last few years, and Minnesota isn't in any position to compete. They should just let him continue to develop in the minors. Plus he's still only 21. No need to hurry if you're Minnesota.

Not looking good so far...14/4 K to walk rate with a .196 average...Granted it's a small sample size but not very encouraging...Where is the Buxton from 2013???

Not looking good so far...14/4 K to walk rate with a .196 average...Granted it's a small sample size but not very encouraging...Where is the Buxton from 2013???

he and Sano are stll shaking off all the rust it seems

he and Sano are stll shaking off all the rust it seems

Still has immense talent, but hitting against AA and AAA pitching is tough, and MLB talent is elite.

I sold him in my dynasty league last season, but hope the best. Could be a fun player to watch in a couple of years.

Hitting .364 with a 1.091 OPS the past week, I'd say the rust is shook.

edit: 6/1 BB/K in that time period

I live in Chattanooga. Hoping to make it to a few games this summer before he gets promoted

Yeah he has found his groove.

Tonight: 3 for 5 with two triples, a double, and 2 runs scored.

2/6 today with 2 R, another triple, 2 RBI's, and a K.

LaVelle E. Neal IIIVerified account @LaVelleNeal

Byron Buxton was named Twins minor league player of the week after batting .423 with 1 homer, 6 RBI, 9 runs scored, 6 BB and 4 SB.

LaVelle E. Neal III @LaVelleNeal · 24h 24 hours ago

Good grief. Byron Buxton already has a double and triple today. He's put 100 points on his batting average since he was benched

Nick Nelson @nnelson9 · 2h 2 hours ago

Byron Buxton has hit 4 triples in his last 4 games. That doesn't even seem possible.

What do we think the timetable is for this guy? I know he missed last year and started off slowly but he's been on a tear lately.

I'm trying to be realistic about him and thinking it might not be until September but of course I'd love to see him in the League sooner. Do you think that the Twins being bad gives them more reason or less to keep him down? I've heard both sides of the argument

look at the track record of the twins. they never promote there young stars until absolutely ready.

maybe a sept callup when rosters expand.

Only if the Twins outfield has a barrage of injuries. Possible, Hunter and Arcia are not that dependable.

Yeah it does seem an injury is the only way they call him up sooner than September, which is what my expectation was after I added him a few weeks ago. I'd rather be too early on this guy than too late though.

I've done this with other guys early in the year when I had bench spots and it worked out well for me (now I get to keep Marte, Polanco, and Pederson in the final 3 rounds of my draft for the next 3 seasons).

Arcia did get hurt yesterday, not sure about his status.

Oh yeah something with his hip. Looks to be minor. Unfortunately I think it'll take something major for them to call him up this early though. The other thing I don't know about the Twins is who they have in AAA in their OF that they would call up during the event that Arcia or one of the other big leaguers goes down for an extended period.

Oh yeah something with his hip. Looks to be minor. Unfortunately I think it'll take something major for them to call him up this early though. The other thing I don't know about the Twins is who they have in AAA in their OF that they would call up during the event that Arcia or one of the other big leaguers goes down for an extended period.

Aaron Hicks is a possibility. I know the team is not contending, but with an OF so abysmal as theirs, I have a slight optimism.

Stud. I live near Chattanooga I need to go see him play before he gets promoted.

"Byron Buxton - OF - Twins

Twins prospect OF Byron Buxton hit a walk-off home run on Monday for Double-A Chattanooga.

Buxton is batting .455/.513/.848 with seven extra-base hits during his current eight-game hitting streak, and hes also scored 12 runs and gone 5-for-5 on the base paths in that span. The 21-year-old top prospect got off to a slow start offensively in the Southern League but has quickly turned things around, with a .286/.353/.527 batting line and 11 extra-base hits (3 HR, 5 3B, 3 2B) through 23 games. Provided he stays healthy, Buxton should make his highly anticipated big league debut later this season."

RW seems to think he'll be up later this year. I'm still skeptical but hey it would be a nice surprise.

1-3 so far tonight with a HR and 2 RBI's.

Was running some numbers tonight and dating back to April 25th (I adjusted the stats based on tonight), Buxton has put up the following stats:

.344 AVG

3 HR

18 R

20 RBI

7 BB

12 K's

5 SB's

^ Was on a little bit of a cold streak before tonight's performance, so that's good to see. The triple was his 7th on the young season, and stolen base #10. I really can't wait to see this kid in the majors.