Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

calzonesays

Byron Buxton - OF MIN

quiet thread for how hot Buxton has been this month.

August #s --> .404 with OPS .998 and 10 SBs

over his last 10 games he's hitting .439 with OPS 1.047 and 8 SBs

He's on the fast track to start 2014 at AA and he has a solid shot at a mid to late season call up

He's on the fast track to start 2014 at AA and he has a solid shot at a mid to late season call up

I don't think there's any way the Twins call him up next year, not with how slowly they've promoted Sano and other prospects. Hicks spent a whole season in AA. So did Revere. So did Parmelee.

Other than Sano, Buxton is a much better prospect than those guys, but still. I think they want him to get more seasoning. The last thing they want to do is rush him.

He could be up next September, but no sooner than that.

I don't think there's any way the Twins call him up next year, not with how slowly they've promoted Sano and other prospects. Hicks spent a whole season in AA. So did Revere. So did Parmelee.

Other than Sano, Buxton is a much better prospect than those guys, but still. I think they want him to get more seasoning. The last thing they want to do is rush him.

I wouldn't compare Hicks, Parmelee, or Revere to the talent of Buxton. None of those three were ever touted as much as Buxton has been this season. Although I think that a 2014 call up is a long shot, if he continues to progress and absolutely dominates AA next season the Twins won't be able to resist calling up the #1 prospect, and all the hype that will accompany him. Sano will be up by June 2014 at the age of 21. I wouldn't say that is too slow of a promotion.

I wouldn't compare Hicks, Parmelee, or Revere to the talent of Buxton. None of those three were ever touted as much as Buxton has been this season. Although I think that a 2014 call up is a long shot, if he continues to progress and absolutely dominates AA next season the Twins won't be able to resist calling up the #1 prospect, and all the hype that will accompany him. Sano will be up by June 2014 at the age of 21. I wouldn't say that is too slow of a promotion.

Hicks was actually a highly touted player at one time. There was quite a bit of hype surrounding him. There's not many players with Buxton's hype, but Hicks was actually projected to be quite a player.

Here's BA's top 20 for 2010

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/top-100-prospects/2010/269546.html

Hicks is number 19 overall.

Buxton continues to get better and better in High A.

Last 10 games he's hitting .462 with 4 SBs and OPS 1.372 and his High A OPS is up to .917

The numbers that stick out the most to me are 12 BBs and only 2 Ks over his last 10 games leading to an OBP of .641

Should be an ideal table setter for Mauer, Sano.

Now about that Twins pitching ...

Buxton is looking better and better. Def. will be starting next year in AA.

Regarding Twins pitching, they do have Alex Meyer. At best Meyer will be a front line strikeout pitcher for them, at worst if he can't get his third pitch to be a + pitch, probably be a very good closer. But yes, the Twins really need starting pitching, and pitchers that can strike people out.

Twins prospect Byron Buxton was announced as Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year on Wednesday.

"The best minor leaguer I've ever seen," said a scout quoted in the story. In his professional full-season debut, Buxton absolutely assaulted helpless minor league pitching, slashing .334/.424/.520 with 12 homers, 19 doubles, 18 triples, 77 RBI, 55 stolen bases and 109 runs scored in 125 games between Class-A Cedar Rapids and High-A Fort Myers. The No. 2 pick in the 2012 draft posted numbers eerily similar to Mike Trout's minor league output. Coincidentally, Trout also player at Cedar Rapids (it was an Angels affiliate prior to this season). "Buxton was by far the best I have seen in a long, long time other than Trout," said Class-A Palm Beach manager Johnny Rodriguez. "Trout has more power, but Buxton probably does more (things). He has a better arm. He is a better defender than Trout, with better range and jumps ... Buxton probably is a better hitter. He has fewer holes than Trout had."

Source: Baseball America

High praise, indeed. But Trout was a little young than Buxton is right now at these levels and also dominated the upper minors.

I seriously doubt Buxton is a better hitter and has fewer holes in his swing. But time will tell.

I havent seen any of them play, so all I have to go off is numbers, but how is Springer not MILB player of the year?

I havent seen any of them play, so all I have to go off is numbers, but how is Springer not MILB player of the year?

I'm siding with you. Although many consider Buxton the #1 prospect (and for good reason), Springer definitely had the best season in the minors - and it's not even close. What he did was historic. He got robbed here.

I'm siding with you. Although many consider Buxton the #1 prospect (and for good reason), Springer definitely had the best season in the minors - and it's not even close. What he did was historic. He got robbed here.

First thing that came to my mind was "How did Springer not get it?" He has been unreal. Also those quotes about Buxton being better than Trout and the best prospect ever, etc. scream pure conjecture.

For what its worth BA did say the decision came down between Springer and Buxton. I would have probably gone Springer as well based on production but being the runner up for Minor League player of the year is still a pretty solid finish.

Buxton is the clear winner if you take age relative to league into account. But I don't think arl should matter. It all depends on whether or not you want to distinguish between best player or best prospect.

First thing that came to my mind was "How did Springer not get it?" He has been unreal. Also those quotes about Buxton being better than Trout and the best prospect ever, etc. scream pure conjecture.

Its scouting. Besides, all he said was buxton was better at that level. Not that he will be better.

High praise, indeed. But Trout was a little young than Buxton is right now at these levels and also dominated the upper minors.

I seriously doubt Buxton is a better hitter and has fewer holes in his swing. But time will tell.

Yeah, to be honest, I think it's the other way around. I think Buxton has more power than Trout did(at the time) with Trout being a better hitter.

either way, the similarities are there and he is by far the easy #1 prospect in all of MLB right now

Yeah, to be honest, I think it's the other way around. I think Buxton has more power than Trout did(at the time) with Trout being a better hitter.

either way, the similarities are there and he is by far the easy #1 prospect in all of MLB right now

I was at the Jay game last night (1st row) and I thought Lawrie had a similar body type to Trout. Lawrie is listed as 6-0 213 and Trout is listed as 6-1 200. When I saw them side by side Trout was at least an inch taller and he dwarfed Lawrie. Across his back he was at least 30 percent bigger and his legs made Lawrie's look like flamingos.

My point is I think Trout is more like 6-1 230 with amazing speed. They flashed a stat up on the scoreboard that stated Trout was the only player in major league history to have at least 50 homers and 70 stolen bases before turning 22 years old.

Very doubtful that Buxton will have more power than Trout given the fact he is probably 50 lbs of muscle less than Trout. Yes he is only 19 and more than 2 full years younger than Trout but it is doubtful he will every have the freakish body type of Trout.

At the very least I think being 6-1 230 with awesome speed is way more freakish and translates much better to major league success than being 6-1 175, freakishly fast and athletic with some pop.

I think the guys with great hit tools that are extremely fast with pop sometimes get overrated.

Also even with tremendous athletic ability the potential is still very uncertain to translate fully into being a star like Trout.

Sometimes I think raw potential is valued more highly than the achievement of that potential by scouts. Everybody likes to dream and predict the next star. Once they become a star people value them less even with a guy like Trout compared to Buxton.

Interesting that Trout's weight is now a strength....many were concerned about it at the beginning of the year if I remember correctly. He got significantly bigger over the winter. He started the season at 240. I've read multiple articles stating he weighed in around 210 to begin 2012. If there's a way to predict how a teenage kid is going to fill out I'd love to know about it. McCutchen is listed at 5'10, 185...whom he's also compared to often. He's going to be bigger than him...just sayin.

Interesting that Trout's weight is now a strength....many were concerned about it at the beginning of the year if I remember correctly. He got significantly bigger over the winter. He started the season at 240. I've read multiple articles stating he weighed in around 210 to begin 2012. If there's a way to predict how a teenage kid is going to fill out I'd love to know about it. McCutchen is listed at 5'10, 185...whom he's also compared to often. He's going to be bigger than him...just sayin.

Pretty sure you're contradicting yourself here.

Pretty sure you're contradicting yourself here.

Why don't you look at what he's listed at beforehand...Unless Buxton shrinks as he gets older, then it's no contradiction as he's already bigger than McCutchen. Buxton is listed at 6'2, 189lbs. I'd say that's a pretty sound argument that he's going to be bigger since he already is...how much bigger, I couldn't say because as my post pointed out, I'm not aware of such a crystal ball. :D

Ranked #1 again by MLB.com. Anyone think he'll be called up in 2014?

Doubt it. Half a season in A+, at best the Twins are way out of it and give him a shot in September for a couple weeks. Even with that he wouldn't be fantasy relevant unless the power comes this year.

Doubt it. Half a season in A+, at best the Twins are way out of it and give him a shot in September for a couple weeks. Even with that he wouldn't be fantasy relevant unless the power comes this year.

I disagree. He's got a decent shot at getting a call up post A.S. break. He's now 20 years old and slated to start the year at AA. If he's dominating at AA the Twins would then need to decide whether to promote Buxton to AAA or to the Big Show.

Mike Trout and Bryce Harper both made their MLB debut as 19 year olds and were full timers at 20. Now I'm not saying Buxton has to do it because they did it but he is quite talented.

All depends on how he does at AA. I could see the Twins bringing Buxton and Sano up this summer.

It's possible he could play this year, but I would say it's on the lesser end of 50/50.

Sano will get called up long before Buxton. Also I have Baez, Bryant, and Sano all ranked higher than Buxton that's me personally though.

It's possible he could play this year, but I would say it's on the lesser end of 50/50.

Sano will get called up long before Buxton. Also I have Baez, Bryant, and Sano all ranked higher than Buxton that's me personally though.

Why, because they have more power and chicks dig the long ball?

Buxton has 20 HR / 50 SB potential with a higher batting average over the other 3. I'll take that all day everyday over 40 HR / 10 SB.

I played in 4 roto leagues last year (2 14 teamers and 2 12 teamers) and the average total on HRs was 236. The average total on SBs was 137. The SBs are tougher to get unless you go with road runners that provide little to no power (Revere, Young, Bourn, etc).

It's what makes the power and speed guys so valuable (Trout, McCutch, CarGo, Gomez).

I highly doubt it. They aren't going to rush this guy. My guess is June 2015.