Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

holy molybdenums

How To Add 4 Teams To A 10 Team Keeper League?

Hello everyone,

We have a 10 team keeper league that has already been established for 2 years. We have the option of keeping up to 3 players from last year from round 3 and lower. This year, we are considering adding 4 more teams to make it a 14 team keeper league.

Problem is, as a league, we cannot for the life of us decide how to incorporate the 4 new teams, without giving anyone too much of an edge, especially the new teams.

Some suggestions we have looked at-

1. Do nothing to compensate the new owners. They will have more draft picks than the other teams that are forfeiting picks to keep players.

2. Have an expansion draft for the new teams to pick keepers before the actual league draft.

Managers of the original 10 teams must select 3 players from their roster to protect.

The remaining players on their rosters, minus 1st and 2nd round picks, will be all nominated for the expansion draft.

There will be a 3 round snaking draft in which the 4 new managers can select players from this pool. These players will count as

whatever round they were drafted in 2011 (or last round if he was a free agent)...

Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone ran into this problem in the past?

Thanks!!!

WHIR

Holy Molybdenums

I think #2 is the fairest way of doing it.

If the new managers have too poor options to choose between and are complaining about this fact, perhaps make it so that the 4/6 playoff teams can only hold onto 2 guys. And then there is a expansion draft of all the new teams to get them up to 3 keepers. Then the playoff teams pick between their remaining unexpansion drafted players for their last keeper. And then you have a draft like normal, with those 4 new teams picking 1,2,3 and 4.

It is stuff like this which is why I start my keeper leagues big, and if anything get smaller ie 20 to 18. Because when you want to grow its a mess.

Last year I joined up with a 5-year running keeper league as expansion from 8 to 10 teams. All teams are allowed to keep an entire roster of 20 players (non-IDP). We did something similar to your option #2. The two new expansion teams got the first 20 picks (10 for each new team) from rookies and free agents. This allowed us to get the best pickings from rookies while filling out half of our final roster before anyone else picked.

This was fair and satisfactory and though my team finished in last place, I was the best worst team loosing by 10 points or less 9 times over the course of the season (Thanks be to Cam & Gronk). Because I finished last, I also get first pick this year =)

I have no problem with Option 1 if the new owners are okay with that, but I think Option 2 is the one to go with. On top of not including first or second rounders, I would also not include rookies in the expansion draft. But I would give the expansion teams the first four picks in the regular draft (in reverse order of who picked first in the expansion draft).

Yes, the expansion teams will be the worst teams for now, but expansion teams are supposed to be the worst teams. And it will only be for a year or two before they are on equal footing with the rest of the league.

We went from 10 to 12 last year. We only do two keepers, no penalty, unlimited years, but what we did was just allow the two new teams 2 picks each at the beginning of the draft. Similar to your option 1

I think #2 is fair. #1 would make me not want to join as a new owner. I have one question, though? Why are you pulling out 1st and 2nd rounders from the new owners' allowable pool to pick keepers from? I'm not saying it's bad, I'd just like to know the reasoning for this rule.

I think #2 is fair. #1 would make me not want to join as a new owner. I have one question, though? Why are you pulling out 1st and 2nd rounders from the new owners' allowable pool to pick keepers from? I'm not saying it's bad, I'd just like to know the reasoning for this rule.

It actually wasn't bad in our league as there was still a lot of talent available like DMC, Lesean McCoy, MJD, and Mendenhall. Some teams were just stacked and couldn't keep everyone.

Thanks for the responses guys! This all helps :)

IG-88:

This was just the rule for our league regarding keepers. Every year, we can keep up to 3 players, but only from rounds 3 and lower-

Are you suggesting we allow the new owners to have the option to keep a 1st or 2nd rounder from last year?

Another thing I thought that could work- keep option 1, but allow the 4 new teams to chose where they want to draft. How about that?

Thanks again everyone!

Holy Molybdenums

Thanks for the responses guys! This all helps :)

IG-88:

This was just the rule for our league regarding keepers. Every year, we can keep up to 3 players, but only from rounds 3 and lower-

Are you suggesting we allow the new owners to have the option to keep a 1st or 2nd rounder from last year?

Another thing I thought that could work- keep option 1, but allow the 4 new teams to chose where they want to draft. How about that?

Thanks again everyone!

Holy Molybdenums

Sorry, I didn't know the 3rd round or later rule applied to everyone. In that case, don't let them have access to them. I just wasn't cool with the rule if existing owners get to keep 1st and 2nd owners but new owners don't. In an expansion scenario, the new owners are only getting to pick through the scraps that the existing owners didn't already keep so they don't need any further handicaps

I have no problem with Option 1 if the new owners are okay with that, but I think Option 2 is the one to go with. On top of not including first or second rounders, I would also not include rookies in the expansion draft. But I would give the expansion teams the first four picks in the regular draft (in reverse order of who picked first in the expansion draft).

Yes, the expansion teams will be the worst teams for now, but expansion teams are supposed to be the worst teams. And it will only be for a year or two before they are on equal footing with the rest of the league.

This is a great point about leaving the rookies out of the expansion draft. Thanks.

From the looks of it, the 4 new teams don't like option 1, so some form of option 2 seems to be the most likely.

I'll let you guys know what we chose to do...Never imagined so much drama in the fantasy world!

Holy Molybdenums