FouLLine

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

To all the non-believers: Relax. This guy is a end of the bench filler for us. A place holder until the next hot thing appears. And just maybe- maybe, due to an injury or a fumble or a breakout for a TD, he could get a chance. We play this game for fun, and nothing is more fun finding a hard working underdog who succeeds.

Well said. I can't wait for Sunday.

To all the non-believers: Relax. This guy is a end of the bench filler for us. A place holder until the next hot thing appears. And just maybe- maybe, due to an injury or a fumble or a breakout for a TD, he could get a chance. We play this game for fun, and nothing is more fun finding a hard working underdog who succeeds.

you'll probably want to read the thread completely... if you did you'd see most, including the so called "naysayers" actually are fine with him as a flier/lotto ticket and have him on the end of their benches. but there are those like myself who disagree with foulline making invalid comparisons and throwing temper tantrums when people call him on it.

if you look around this forum i'm the first to advocate the lotto ticket pick ups because i know they can be invaluable. hell i'm even in the ryan grant thread saying that if you have free spot you should take him because you just never know. and that guy is by most accounts pretty close to washed up now. but i'm also not etching their bust for the hall of fame in the same thread either and i find it isn't helpful when others do it because it only raises expectations to an almost unrealistic state, which then creates the bitching posts that happen after when the guy flops.

why can't it just be here is the lotto ticket and the situation he is currently in and why he good be a good bet. instead we get here is the lotto ticket, and because he is (insert completely unimportant and irrelevant commonality) he is just like (insert top 5 at position player). tying players together in such a manner is what i disagree with and foulline couldn't handle that i and others called him on it. so he resorted to name calling and accusations.

hell i hope he does good this week so he can have the job next week against STL and i get a nice bye week filler for martin.

I am reading this forum and I am thinking this guy could be huge. Big time averages in college and a great preseason. What's not to like? He could become the guy. I see Miami shutting Ryan Williams down. Maybe Powell comes in and breaks a big run for a TD.

And as Uncle Rico once said, and "if coach would of just put me in I could of been a star". He had "23" college carries, every year the leading rusher in the preseason is some grocery bagger. Those points are 100% meaningless. I need someone to convince me he can overcome extreme offensive line woes before we should take this thread seriously. And so far all I am seeing is a bunch of what if fluff.

Edited by Cmilne23

The thing is you keep accusing others of not bringing any fact or reasoning but that is simply not true. You also accused people of getting angry when it was painfully obvious you were the only one in the thread getting worked up. So you just keep repeating over and over that these naysayers haven't brought anything to the table when in fact all they are doing is disagreeing with you and you just can't handle it.

Then you have comparisons to Arian Foster, Barry Sanders, saying he is the pickup of the year, and that he will be a top 8 RB ROS if he gets the job... I mean really?Thread has gone full dumpster fire.

LOL Okay as if I can't handle someone disagreeing with me. Just be sure to bring facts or reasoning. A few brought some reasoning but most of you guys didn't.

But notice how your post doesn't bring any facts or reasoning to the table? So once again you will force me to repeat it. All you do is bring up what I've said and say NO. No reasoning, just "you're wrong". This is entirely more annoying when you don't even understand what I'm saying. Oh wait you made a list of guys who were drafted in all leagues or at the very least have been rostered for weeks now. So I'll give you that... I guess...

You have taken the entire Barry Sanders thing out of contex. I said good RBs know when to bounce a run outside, and improvise which is what Powell did in that one run that went for 67 yards. I then said watch a Barry Sanders highlight. As in he was the best at it and he rarely got big yards on a run by it's "design". You act as if I swore he was the second coming of Barry Sanders.

His situation is very similar to Arian Fosters.

Yes you got that right I said he could be a top 8 back if he is the primary back. That's how much upside I think he has. So be sure to flame me when he's a top 12 back and I am so entirely wrong about a waiver wire lottery ticket.

That is taking a stand. So keep ragging on people for being excited and making bold predictions.

Once again, multiple straw man arguments and false accusations. Repeating it over and over doesn't make it true. I can only speak for myself, but the only point I made in this thread is I don't see how he has more upside or is worth owning over a lot of the other backup lottery ticket RB's. If your in a league where all those guys are owned, its likely 14-16 teams and at that point yeah he's worth a shot. But I wouldn't DROP one of those guys I listed for him (who as you have repeatedly noted are likely owned in 12+ team leagues), while you made the claim that you thought he had more upside than any of the RB's on that list. So given that claim I am guessing you WOULD drop those guys for him. I disagree for reasons I previously stated, and a lot of people disagreed and even if they didn't back it up with "touchdowns per touch in college" stats or whatever. It's all just opinions, but just because their opinion is different from yours does not mean they are "not bringing any reasoning to the table."

Edited by Wombat
  • Like 1

...shame on me for thinking I could simply click on the latest Powell post, and actually read something about him.

You guys are doosh bags. Stop it.

Is it really that hard to discuss a players prospects? What is wrong with you guys? It's a joke.

I'm not going to say much about Bill Powell, I like him, I think he is the best "runner" on his team. Whether or not he gets a legit chance is yet to be seen. He is a must add in every one of my leagues, mostly dynasty. Hard runner, good vision, no dancing in the backfield....

You guys...just shut up with your BS.

• Like 2

There's nothing else to say old mustache dude. Not until after Sunday. He's an unknown who looked great in 23 college carries and preseason action against scrubs. We have no clue how he will fare against NFL starters, if he even gets carries. Those are his prospects.

... every year the leading rusher in the preseason is some grocery bagger.

I thought your comment about grocery baggers was interesting, so I had to see for myself who the past preseason rushing yards leaders were, listed #1 & #2 for most yards....

2012: William Powell, Rashad Jennings

2011: Kendall Hunter, Da'Rell Scott

2010: Anthony Dixon, Micheal Bennet

2009: Glen Coffee, Ben Jarvus Green-Ellis

2008: Marcus Mason, Rashard Mendenhall

2007 : Thomas Clayton, Gary Russell

Edited by scienergy
  • Like 2

Just dropped Edelman for him as a bench stash move.

I understand both sides here. For the naysayers, the guy has no body of work. But for the supporters (even those beyond lotto/flier types), the guy just looked like he could move out there. I say this about guys like J Charles a lot, you can't teach speed and you can't teach moves that will weak a defender's ankles. He was really fun to watch in preseason. We're not talking about the JAGs who got 4 ypc in garbage time in pre-season. Guy flat out looked dominant.

...shame on me for thinking I could simply click on the latest Powell post, and actually read something about him.

You guys are doosh bags. Stop it.

Is it really that hard to discuss a players prospects? What is wrong with you guys? It's a joke.

I'm not going to say much about Bill Powell, I like him, I think he is the best "runner" on his team. Whether or not he gets a legit chance is yet to be seen. He is a must add in every one of my leagues, mostly dynasty. Hard runner, good vision, no dancing in the backfield....

You guys...just shut up with your BS.

So unless everyone can join on the fluff fest they must shut up and not state there opinion? Disagreement and counter arguments are not negative things, only non-intelligent people who cannot articulate people's thoughts correctly feel that way. Some people are in waiver limit leagues (I only am allowed to make 2 moves in my league per week) so I have to be very thorough in my research of players. I am sure other people are in similiar leagues as well. I don't think commenting on how poor the Cardinals offensive line is, is negative at all. That is a fact and it sheds light to readers that they should keep this in mind when considering adding this player. It gives people the proper expectation level incase he does get an increased role.

I'll jump in where I started playing fantasy football, 2009, as I remember Glen Coffee coming on to be the lead back for SF during Weeks 3-5 due to a Frank Gore injury. This happened at pretty much the same time that Rashard Mendenhall got thrust into the starting role for PIT.

Coffee is a hard one to compare. He actually only played his rookie season, then retired from the NFL, so we don't have a lot to go off of.

"Coffee plans to return to the University of Alabama to finish his degree in consumer affairs, with an eye towards graduate school. Coffee has confirmed that the reason he retired was that his heart was never in football and that he believes God wants him to take another path."

During his rookie season, he also received a hip pointer injury, an additional lower-foot/leg injury that hobbled him enough that they took him out for the rest of the game and sent him to the locker room for X-rays, and a concussion. I'm thinking that medley of injuries also played a factor in his decision to retire while he was still healthy.

Alabama RB Glen Coffee will forgo his senior season and enter the NFL draft.

Coffee finished second in the SEC with 1,383 rushing yards at an impressive 5.9 yards per clip. He made the decision to come out early after the NFL draft advisory board projected him as a mid-round pick.

Alabama RB Glenn Coffee ran a 4.58 forty time at the NFL Scouting Combine Sunday.

There are rumblings that Coffee was pushed out at Alabama after his 1,383-yard junior season in favor of youngster Mark Ingram. Coffee benefited from a dominant Crimson Tide line and a time in this range was expected.

49ers selected Alabama RB Glenn Coffee with the No. 74 overall pick in the NFL Draft.

A surprising choice with Andre Brown and Rashad Jennings on the clock. But it's not surprising the 49ers added another back to share the load with Frank Gore. Coffee is not an especially elusive or explosive runner and played behind NCAA's best offensive line, but showed some power in college. Gore owners can't love another back added to the mix, but Coffee doesn't project as a huge difference maker.

49ers GM Scot McCloughan anticipates third-round pick Glen Coffee bulking up to 220 pounds "in a few years."

Coffee, listed at 198 at Alabama, weighed in at 209 at February's Scouting Combine. The Niners consider him a "downhill" back, but it's hard to imagine Coffee threatening Frank Gore's goal-line carries. Coffee is lanky with skinny legs. He looks more like a handcuff for Gore.

The 49ers are reportedly close to finalizing deals with third-round RB Glen Coffee and fifth-round QB Nate Davis.

Both rookies are believed to be waiting for a few more players to sign, so they can accurately gauge their signing bonuses. Once the Coffee and Davis deals are finished, Michael Crabtree's should be expedited.

49ers signed third-round RB Glen Coffee to a four-year contract, including an $828,250 signing bonus.

Coffee did little to stand out this spring and seems unlikely to cut into Frank Gore's workload. Beat writers have speculated that Coffee might be used at the goal line, but Gore's versatility gives the team more options there and keeps defenses guessing. Coffee is barely a late-round handcuff pick.

Glen Coffee, who started in Frank Gore's place on Friday, ran for 67 yards on 14 carries.

Coffee could have had a long touchdown run on a dump-off from Alex Smith, where Smith through the ball right into the ground. He did show some good burst and it looks like he definitely has the lead to be the Niners number two back behind Gore.

49ers coach Mike Singletary singled out rookie RB Glen Coffee as a player who made a great first impression in Friday's preseason opener.

"Very excited about what I saw out of him," said Singletary. "Tough runner, I thought he did a decent job in his pass protection." Coffee showed good vision and finished his runs with authority. He's becoming a mandatory handcuff for Frank Gore owners.

49ers offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye heaped praise on rookie tailback Glen Coffee following the Niners-Raiders scrimmage.

"He has really been exceptional," Raye said. "He's way ahead of the curve as far as a rookie back in pass protection." We still doubt Coffee will eat into Frank Gore's touches much, but he's a must-have late-round handcuff.

Glen Coffee continued his excellent preseason play, rushing 16 times for 129 yards in San Francisco's second preseason game.

Save something for the season, big man! Coffee has shown great speed to go with surprising toughness thus far, building on his excellent practices. We're very encouraged for Frank Gore that San Francisco's offensive line is dominating and Coffee looks like a great late-round handcuff.

SI.com's Peter King ranks 49ers RB Glen Coffee as the second most impressive rookie he's seen this summer, behind only Percy Harvin.

Harvin was a gimme at No. 1, though Coffee has shot up the charts with his slashing, hard-charging style in preseason action. Also on King's list: Eagles RB LeSean McCoy, Patriots WR Julian Edelman, Colts WR Austin Collie, and Steelers KR Stefan Logan.

49ers rookie Glen Coffee currently leads the league in preseason rushing yards, with 230.

The next closest is Minnesota's Adrian Peterson (181). Preseason rushing is typically meaningless, but Coffee appears to be the real deal. The Alabama product is averaging 6.1 yards per carry, and has five grabs for 35 yards.

Glen Coffee left Sunday's game in the second half with a hip pointer.

We didn't see the injury happen, but the 49ers are now down two tailbacks. The 2009 preseason rushing leader is "questionable" to return to the field.

Glen Coffee rushed for just 13 yards on nine carries and caught two passes for 16 yards in the 49ers' Week 2 win.

Coffee got a bump in snaps because of Frank Gore's minor ankle injury, but was ineffective on the ground (his YPC through two games stands at 1.0) and briefly exited with a hip pointer. His big preseason hasn't translated yet.

So, solid preseason, then in Week 2 when he got his first decent workload (Gore shouldered the load in Week 1, so Coffee only saw 1 carry that game) he was injured. "Briefly exited with a hip pointer" suggests he came back and played through the injury during the second half. 8 of his 9 carries, and 1 of his 2 receptions came during the second half, suggesting his low performance may have been because of that injury.

Gore's ankle injury of course imploded the following game, with Gore leaving the game after his first carry (aggravated the ankle sprain).

Glen Coffee rushed 25 times for 54 yards in Week 3 against the Vikings.

San Francisco stuck with the running game despite Frank Gore leaving after one play with an ankle injury, but Coffee predictably couldn't do much against Minnesota's dominant front. The rookie broke one nice run, but gained just 41 yards on his other 24 carries. Despite the lackluster showing, the huge workload and Gore's uncertain status makes Coffee a must pickup.

A dominant run defense + Coffee coming off a hip pointer injury = understandably down performance.

Glen Coffee admitted he wasn't ready to go when called upon early in Sunday's loss to the Vikings.

Coffee came in after Frank Gore hurt his ankle on his first carry. The rookie picked up just 16 yards on nine first half carries and had to briefly leave the game when he got the wind knocked out of him. Expect Coffee to be better assuming he gets a full week of practice preparing to be the starter against the Rams. He'll be a hot waiver add.

Beat writer Matt Maiocco expects Glen Coffee to be an every-down back for as long as Frank Gore (ankle) is out.

Coffee's only backup is special teamer Michael Robinson after the team opted against promoting rookie Kory Sheets from the practice squad. Coffee probably won't be quite as involved as Gore in the pass game, but will still be a threat for 22-28 touches in favorable matchups with St. Louis and Atlanta.

49ers coach Mike Singletary said he won't alter his offense one bit because Frank Gore (ankle) is out.

Glen Coffee is the only reasonable option for the Niners in the backfield. He'll be backed up by Michael Robinson and Moran Norris. "We're fortunate to have Coffee and I think he'll do a good job," Singletary said. We're expecting at least 22 touches for Coffee against the Rams Sunday.

Glen Coffee rushed for 74 yards on 24 carries in the 49ers' Week 4 victory on Sunday.

Coffee also added four catches for 32 yards in the victory while filling in for the injured Frank Gore. The Rams' run defense held Coffee in check for most of the game, as he never really broke any big runs. Coffee has another favorable matchup next week when the Niners face the Falcons.

He had 98 combined yards, 4 receptions, which would have been a good day in PPR formats.

Glen Coffee limped off the field with a lower left leg/foot injury late in Sunday's game against the Falcons.

Coffee made it to the sidelines under his own power, but he was clearly hobbled. He was later sent to the locker room for X-rays and is done for the day. He finished with 12 carries for 45 yards and a touchdown and four receptions for 21 yards with the 49ers playing from behind the entire game. Coffee gets a bye next week, and Frank Gore is expected to return the following week.

According to NFL Fanhouse's Nancy Gay, 49ers RB Glen Coffee is "OK" after leaving Sunday's game with a lower left leg/foot injury.

Coffee was sent for X-rays late in the fourth quarter, but they revealed only a contusion. The Niners are on bye in Week 6 with Frank Gore (ankle) due to return the following week. Coffee will resume backup duties if he's healthy enough to play in Week 7.

49ers RB Glen Coffee left Sunday's game in the fourth quarter with a concussion.

Coffee was down for awhile, but he was able to make it off the field with the help of two trainers. He's done for the day.

Glen Coffee (concussion) has been ruled out for Week 10.

The 49ers host the Bears on Thursday night, so Coffee didn't have enough time to get medically cleared. Michael Robinson will back up Frank Gore.

Glen Coffee left Sunday's game against the Eagles in the second quarter with a hamstring strain and did not return.

Coffee leaves without even getting a carry. The rookie is averaging just 2.6 yards per carry in a disappointing rookie campaign that was derailed by a concussion.

49ers RB Glen Coffee (hamstring) is listed as doubtful for Week 16.

Michael Robinson will be Frank Gore's backup Sunday against the Lions.

Glen Coffee rushed two times for 12 yards in Week 17.

Coffee's opportunities for much of the season came in garbage time, aside from the two games he started in place of Frank Gore. The preseason stud ends his rookie season with 83 carries for 226 yards and one touchdown.

49ers backup RB Glen Coffee shockingly announced his retirement from football Friday.

Coffee was nowhere to be found Friday after missing Thursday afternoon's practice. He released a statement Friday afternoon, indicating that he's "moving on" from football. Coach Mike Singletary runs a notoriously tough camp, but there has to be more to the story here. Coffee was thought to be battling rookie Anthony Dixon for the No. 2 job behind Frank Gore, though Singletary says Dixon is still "a ways away." Michael Robinson could enter the season as the primary backup instead.

Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald, who covered Glen Coffee at Alabama, believes Coffee is retiring to pursue the priesthood.

"Having covered 49ers RB Glen Coffee for 3 years, not surprised he retired," tweeted Rapoport on Friday. "He has a higher call. Wouldn't shock me if he headed to ministry." The 49ers retain Coffee's rights, but it sounds like his retirement is for good. He'll remain under contract through 2012.

When asked whether or not he would return to football down the road, RB Glen Coffee responded, "No, man. I've already told Christ it's time to go. I've already rung the bell. That's not going to happen."

Coffee also said that he wants to return to the University of Alabama and earn his undergraduate degree and masters. Coffee seems to have been planning this for a while, he just overlooked the execution, something he says he regrets. "I really am sorry that I put the 49ers in this situation. I should have handled it a lot differently."

So...his rookie season was injury-plagued, and his heart didn't seem to really be in it from the get-go. Quite understandable downslide once you take those factors into consideration. His single-season doesn't really give us a good base to analyze/compare from, though we can say that William Powell seems to be the exact opposite level of motivation compared to Glen Coffee. William Powell spent all of last season on the Cardinals practice squad just waiting for his opportunity. He's hungry. Glen Coffee appears to have planned to cut bait as quickly as he got his first season's worth of big money.

Edited by Robrain

... every year the leading rusher in the preseason is some grocery bagger.

I thought your comment about grocery baggers was interesting, so I had to see for myself who the past preseason rushing yards leaders were, listed #1 & #2 for most yards....

2012: William Powell, Rashad Jennings

2011: Kendall Hunter, Da'Rell Scott

2010: Anthony Dixon, Micheal Bennet

2009: Glen Coffee, Ben Jarvus Green-Ellis

2008: Marcus Mason, Rashard Mendenhall

2007 : Thomas Clayton, Gary Russell

Highlighted are the grocery baggers (or in Coffee's case a minister) those guys have amounted to nothing. Only the Ben Jarvus Green Ellis carved out any role for himself based on a good preseason of rushing. Mendenhall was just drafted so they were giving him run to get ready. Hunter had a nice preseason but really has not been given a chance to do much in the NFL yet. Same goes with Rashard Jennings.

Last year the top 10 backs in carries in the preseason were Anthony Dixon, Jamie Harper, Jonathan Dwyer, Dion Lewis, Jackie Battle, Khalil Bell, Roy Helu, Kendall Hunter, William Powell (35 carries for 86 yards, 2.5 YPC), Andre Brown.

None of those guys did anything in the NFL last year except Helu who had a nice stretch at the end of the season. I just look down the rushing attempt leader list for preseason carries and every season it is just littered with backups or camp bodies. So I really wish people would not use preseason as a barometer for why someone looks good, they are facing inferior competition, especially 2nd and 3rd stringers who are only getting run in the 2nd half of games.

Edited by Cmilne23

I really wish people would stop using first three games of the season vs teams all ranked in the top 5 in rush defense as a barometer.

• Like 2

Last year the top 10 backs in carries in the preseason were Anthony Dixon, Jamie Harper, Jonathan Dwyer, Dion Lewis, Jackie Battle, Khalil Bell, Roy Helu, Kendall Hunter, William Powell (35 carries for 86 yards, 2.5 YPC), Andre Brown.

None of those guys did anything in the NFL last year except Helu who had a nice stretch at the end of the season.

You seem to be measuring those RB's worth as if they actually had any kind of feature back role last season, which they really didn't. We're saying if William Powell gets the opportunity, he will then perform.

Jonathan Dwyer got the opportunity last season during Week 5 and had 11 carries for 107 rushing yards, along with 1 reception for 6 receiving yards. And that was while splitting time with Isaac Redman that game, who had 15 carries for less than half that amount of yards, and 3 receptions. Dwyer broke his 2 games later, ending any chance for further stats.

Dwyer did not get the opportunity to perform during the regular season this year, as the coaches continued to give an ineffectual Isaac Redman carries over him. Dwyer then suffered turf toe, which obviously means he isn't going to be a viable fantasy option now.

Khalil Bell helped win people fantasy leagues at the end of last season when he got his opportunity. Week 15, vs. SEA (a great run defense), he had 15 carries for 65 rushing yards (4.3 YPC), along with 5 receptions for 43 receiving yards and a receiving TD. 108 combined yards, 5 receptions, 1 TD. That's a solid stat line for fantasy.

In Week 16 vs. GB, he had 23 carries for 121 rushing yards (5.3 YPC) along with 4 receptions for 38 receiving yards. 159 combined yards + 4 receptions, another good fantasy line.

In Week 17 vs. MIN, he had 17 carries for 54 rushing yards (3.2 YPC), along with 5 receptions for 28 receiving yards, a salvageable fantasy day in PPR formats.

Roy Helu? I'll just leave this here:

http://www.nfl.com/p...ogs?season=2011

He looked good again this season but lingering Achilles injuries and his second case of turf toe within a year did him in.

Kendall Hunter? He ended his rookie season as Frank Gore's backup with 668 combined rushing/receiving yards, and 2 TDs. 112 carries for 473 rushing yards (4.2 YPC average for the season), along with 16 receptions for 195 receiving yards (12.2 yards per catch), and no fumbles. He did all that even while his true opportunities were limited - he never received more than 16 carries in any game.

Andre Brown? I think you just saw what he did when he got his opportunity.

Mythological Rotoworld-forum folk hero Jackie Battle was limited more by Todd Haley's idiocy in splitting carries between multiple RB's than his own performance:

http://www.nfl.com/player/jackiebattle/2507278/gamelogs?season=2011

He still had productive games before Todd Haley's idiocy limited his carries per game too much.

Edited by Robrain

None of those guys did anything in the NFL last year except Helu who had a nice stretch at the end of the season.

You seem to be measuring those RB's worth as if they actually had any kind of feature back role last season, which they really didn't. We're saying if William Powell gets the opportunity, he will then perform.

Jonathan Dwyer got the opportunity last season during Week 5 and had 11 carries for 107 rushing yards, along with 1 reception for 6 receiving yards. And that was while splitting time with Isaac Redman that game, who had 15 carries for less than half that amount of yards, and 3 receptions.

Dwyer did not get the opportunity to perform during the regular season this year, as the coaches continued to give an ineffectual Isaac Redman carries over him. Dwyer then suffered turf toe, which obviously means he isn't going to be a viable fantasy option now.

Khalil Bell helped win people fantasy leagues at the end of last season when he got his opportunity. Week 15, vs. SEA (a great run defense), he had 15 carries for 65 rushing yards (4.3 YPC), along with 5 receptions for 43 receiving yards and a receiving TD. 108 combined yards, 5 receptions, 1 TD. That's a solid stat line for fantasy.

In Week 16 vs. GB, he had 23 carries for 121 rushing yards (5.3 YPC) along with 4 receptions for 38 receiving yards. 159 combined yards + 4 receptions, another good fantasy line.

In Week 17 vs. MIN, he had 17 carries for 54 rushing yards (3.2 YPC), along with 5 receptions for 28 receiving yards, a salvageable fantasy day in PPR formats.

http://www.nfl.com/player/royhelu/2495161/gamelogs?season=2011

He looked good again this season but lingering Achilles injuries and his second case of turf toe within a year did him in.

Kendall Hunter? He ended his rookie season as Frank Gore's backup with 668 combined rushing/receiving yards, and 2 TDs. 112 carries for 473 rushing yards (4.2 YPC average for the season), along with 16 receptions for 195 receiving yards (12.2 yards per catch), and no fumbles. He did all that even while his true opportunities were limited - he never received more than 16 carries in any game.

Ahh, the usual suspects. Which one doesn't exist?

William Powell is Keyser Soze.

Lastly, I don't know why you focused on carries in preseason as the stat you picked. The number of carries a RB gets in preseason mainly has to do with whether or not he makes that team's roster/practice squad. It almost never has anything to do with winning a starting job, which is when you actually have the opportunity to compile stats.

I really wish people would stop using first three games of the season vs teams all ranked in the top 5 in rush defense as a barometer.

Show me a post where someone did that?

He was generalizing, but he was basically referring to the Cardinals abysmal first two weeks vs. SEA (2nd fewest rushing yards against) and NE (7th fewest rushing yards against):

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&tabSeq=2&season=2012&role=OPP&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&qualified=true

You'll note that Ryan Williams good game came against the Eagles, who have given up the 16th fewest rushing yards, middle of the pack.

He was referencing the fact that the Cardinals rushing game isn't as bad as the Week 1 & 2 stats show, because those stats are skewed in one direction by the quality of the defenses they faced.

• Like 1

He was generalizing, but he was basically referring to the Cardinals abysmal first two weeks vs. SEA (2nd fewest rushing yards against) and NE (7th fewest rushing yards against):

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&tabSeq=2&season=2012&role=OPP&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&qualified=true

You'll note that Ryan Williams good game came against the Eagles, who have given up the 16th fewest rushing yards, middle of the pack.

He was referencing the fact that the Cardinals rushing game isn't as bad as the Week 1 & 2 stats show, because those stats are skewed in one direction by the quality of the defenses they faced.

We shall see. I don't like there chances of fielding much of a respectable running game this year with the loss of Levi Brown. But if one of those tackles develops earlier than expected then maybe they can make some noise. I would be mildly surprised though. Arguments are getting redundent though. Good luck to those who picked up Powell.

Based on that metric btw, here is the rest of the Cardinals schedule for 2012:

Week 4: MIA (3rd best against the run)

Week 5: STL (20th)

Week 6: BUF (14th)

Week 7: MIN (12th)

Week 8: SF (8th)

Week 9: GB (25th)

Week 10: BYE

Week 11: ATL (23rd)

Week 12: STL (20th)

Week 13: NYJ (27th)

Week 14: SEA (2nd)

Week 15: DET (11th)

Week 16: CHI (6th)

Week 17: SF (8th)

Weeks 5-13 don't look that bad (SF being the obvious exception in there), if William Powell can lock up the starting job by the GB game, you'll have 4 straight weeks of hopefully high-end RB2 production (with further upside given his big play ability).

Jonathan Dwyer got the opportunity last season during Week 5 and had 11 carries for 107 rushing yards, along with 1 reception for 6 receiving yards. And that was while splitting time with Isaac Redman that game, who had 15 carries for less than half that amount of yards, and 3 receptions.

http://www.nfl.com/player/royhelu/2495161/gamelogs?season=2011

Ahh, the usual suspects. Which one doesn't exist?

William Powell is Keyser Soze.

I'm thinking this is more like "Welcome to Sarajevo": if William Powell is the 14th worst longshot in the league, who are the other 13 and is he sliding up or down that scale?

I might add him just cause his last name starts with POW! Have heard of worse reasons for picking up a lottery ticket

The combination of both watching Mulholland Dr. and reading this thread last night led to some bizarre William Powell dreams.

Now there's not a player I'm more intrigued to watch tomorrow.

Prediction for tomorrow: 5 carries for 22 yards, followed by a week of overly exhaustive analysis of his carries.

I will read all such overly exhaustive analysis.

• Like 3