FouLLine

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

If this kid had anything, he'd have been able to beat out LaRod Stephens-Howling for at LEAST some bit work.

Hypen serves a completely different role in the offense/special teams than William Powell. The fact that you don't realize this pretty much tells me why your analysis of William Powell's situation is flawed.

Stephens-Howling has a groin injury. Chances are he doesn't even suit up.

Don't give me that, the best players are going to get in the game, end of story. Talent doesn't ride pine, especially at RB in a ball control offense.

There's nothing left to be said except we just have to wait and see.

EDIT: zzzzzz don't care about college stats of an undrafted player. He touched the ball 44 times... in college. Good job having an "unheard of" ratio but only 44 touches is a lot more telling than such a low touchdown:touch ratio. Clearly there was a reason for such limited play.

Edited by Br0kenB

Don't give me that, the best players are going to get in the game, end of story. Talent doesn't ride pine, especially at RB in a ball control offense.

There's nothing left to be said except we just have to wait and see.

How do you figure that Stephen-Howling is more talented than Powell?

Howling has been in the league for a few years and hasn't done anything. Powell is still a rookie who hasn't gotten a chance yet. But totally out performed Howling in the preseason.

Powell all throughout college and into the NFL has been the guy who hasn't gotten the fair shot. But in the few chances he has gotten he maximized the hell out of them.

5 TDs in 44 touches (when half are kickoff returns) that is an unheard of ratio. He caught a tough break being behind Daniel Thomas and then getting injured when he was a senior. But he continued to work hard and keep his dream alive. He was invited to the preseason lead the NFL in rushing in the preseason.

Haters say grocery baggers. But in reality he made the team. He is now active and ready to go. This kid is going to have a special fire in his gut tomorrow.

He's been working his a** off his whole life for this moment. Miami shuts down Ryan Williams and Powell comes in plays with an overwhelming amount of heart and breaks a huge TD run.

Edited by TrueShoe

Powell all throughout college and into the NFL has been the guy who hasn't gotten the fair shot. But in the few chances he has gotten he maximized the hell out of them.

5 TDs in 44 touches (when half are kickoff returns) that is an unheard of ratio. He caught a tough break being behind Daniel Thomas and then getting injured when he was a senior. But he continued to work hard and keep his dream alive. He was invited to the preseason lead the NFL in rushing in the preseason.

Haters say grocery baggers. But in reality he made the team. He is now active and ready to go. This kid is going to have a special fire in his gut tomorrow.

He's been working his a** off his whole life for this moment. Miami shuts down Ryan Williams and Powell comes in plays with an overwhelming amount of heart and breaks a huge TD run.

Heart doesn't break tackles and outrun DBs, but we will see.

You can listen to coaches or read reports all you want... but actions are what matter. Powell hasn't touched a ball during a regular season game in his entire career in the NFL. That alone speaks volumes. But we will see. If he gets shut down I have no other comments and you guys just say that Miami is a good rush defense and he will get another crack next week, then it's the same discussion all over again, whereas if he breaks a fluky 50 yard touchdown run, it's a pointless celebration that ultimately bites owners in the a** when they start him and he goes for 1.5 points.

Edited by Br0kenB

I cannot wait until he breaks his long TD run. This thread is gonna go nuts. Or he'll have a very quiet game and we'll get another 15 pages next week.

• Like 1

Heart doesn't break tackles and outrun DBs, but we will see.

Heart is one of the main ingredients in breaking tackles.

• Like 1

No, actually it's leg drive and lower body strength and coordination.

• Like 1

Hyphen. Is a scat-back 3rd down back ONLY. Not a threat to Williams, Powell, Smith, the guy behind him, and the guy behind him for early down touches.

Can we move forward to more over analysis of the complete unknown handcuff hero? Shesh.

• Like 1

Can someone link me to the Alphonso Smith thread please?

• Like 1

Powell hasn't touched a ball during a regular season game in his entire career in the NFL.

Wow, what? William Powell's entire career in the NFL has been a single season while he was on the Cardinals practice squad.

Ryan Williams entire career in the NFL has been a single season on the I.R., two poor games, and one decent game.

Powell hasn't touched a ball during a regular season game in his entire career in the NFL.

Wow, what? William Powell's entire career in the NFL has been a single season while he was on the Cardinals practice squad.

Ryan Williams entire career in the NFL has been a single season on the I.R., two poor games, and one decent game.

To be fair in the evaluation process, one guy was a high draft pick from this same regime, a player they were/are very high on. The other is a guy that nobody thought highly of and was kept around as a camp body/practice squad tackling dummy. So obviously Williams has a leash in terms of dissent to dwindling to the back up role, especially coming off a solid game in only his 3rd NFL game.

Edited by Cmilne23

William Powell making the 53-man roster this season clearly indicates he isn't just a camp body. In fact, the simple process makes sense:

Put a guy with potential on the practice squad to learn the offense, then promote him to the roster when he shows that he's got it down.

Guy spends the season on the practice squad last season (his first year out of college / rookie year) to learn the offense, then lights up the preseason the following season to lead the league in rushing yards. Coaches go "dude's ready" and put him on the 53-man roster. Not every player has to be drafted for the coaches to see their potential.

Also, for those interested in following the man, the myth, I give you...his Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/WilliamPowell33

• Like 1

Can someone fill me in on the hype around this guy? I remember hearing his name in the preseason, but I have not heard his name since. I know Wells is hurt, and Williams is the starter right now, but what is the deal with Powell?

FouLLine has now made close to double digit references to Powell's college stats in which he had 24 carries or whatever the hell it was and every time managed to spin the fact that he he barely played in college into a major positive.

I am done trying to argue logically in this thread, just sit back and enjoy the dumpster fire.

• Like 2

This thread man... I just don't know what to think. I have been keeping track of it just so I could get some tangible information on the guy but the only info there is is from the preseason. It is not completely meaningless but also not as big of a precursor for future success as some would make it seem. I don't know anything about Powell and I don't think anybody else does either. It just seems like a lot of people are grasping at straws to be honest. I am trying to be completely unbiased in this whole thing because there seems to be a lot of bickering going on but I cannot jump on him until I know how much PT he will get.

Dude has the powers of HEART and FAITH.

He has abstained from touching a football for the past two years so that when he feels that ball in his hands this week, his GUTS will carry him 107 yards to the endzone for a TOUCHDOWN.

• Like 1

Can someone fill me in on the hype around this guy? I remember hearing his name in the preseason, but I have not heard his name since. I know Wells is hurt, and Williams is the starter right now, but what is the deal with Powell?

Rewind through about 720 pages on this thread, and you'll be fully up to speed...

I cannot wait until he breaks his long TD run. This thread is gonna go nuts. Or he'll have a very quiet game and we'll get another 15 pages next week.

Either way, this thread is gonna go berserk tomorrow. There's no middle ground...

Wait, I haven't read any stat predictions for tomorrow... all this talk about this guy, you guys need to go out on a limb and call it.

5 carries for 22 yards.

Lets see this guy put up some numbers and get some carries/game action before we get too carried away.

He had 23 carries in college, bro. I think that's more than enough.

• Like 1