FouLLine

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

Some of you seem to think that a lotto ticket is strictly a one-week hold. I think that's a good way to miss out on a valuable player if you drop them too soon.

Randall Cobb and Travaris Cadet are two others that could be good holds. They might not be blowing up right this instant, but they very well could shortly.

well however long you hold a player is usually dependent on team needs because of injury and bye weeks. i'm sure most realize that lotto ticket doesn't mean drop after 1 week if it doesn't hit. again stop being so defensive

Sticking to my theory doesn't mean I'm defensive.

it has nothing to do with your theory. but why are you in the thread trying to find a way to spin a 2 carry 2 yard performance as a positive for Powell and negative for Williams? give me a break, that is about as weak as it gets. and quite frankly i think hurts your credibility

Sure glad the Cardinals got a good long look at what Powell could do with those 2 carries today. That was quite the sample size to see what this guy can offer their offense. But who can blame them, the way that Williams guy was beasting all day? I'm sure ol' Ryan has got this backfield absolutely sewed up the rest of the year after that spectacular display of rushing mastery, end of story. Why bother taking a chance on the backup when the starter's got such a chokehold on the job? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I honestly don't care too much about what you personally think of my credibility.

My win/loss record is all I need for credibility.

I'm sitting on William Powell in all my leagues, waiting some more for this ticket to pay off.

Well, there's also this:

WELCOME TO THE NFL, WiPo

William Powellicon-article-link.gif was moved up the depth chart when Beanie Wellsicon-article-link.gif was put on the injured reserve/designated to return list last week. But when LaRod Stephens-Howlingicon-article-link.gif was deemed inactive for Sunday’s game, Powell went from inactive the first three weeks to the second-string running back.

“You got to be ready, even more on your toes, be ready to go in at any moment whether it be to run the ball, make a block, run a route,” said Powell, who finished with just two yards on two carries. “I feel like I adjusted well and played pretty good.”

Despite fumbling the opening kickoff, Powell nearly single-handedly won the game. He returned the opening kickoff of overtime 41 yards, nearly breaking it for a touchdown before kicker Dan Carpenter took out Powell’s legs.

“The kicker. Can’t believe it. I’m so mad at myself,” Powell said with a chuckle. “I saw him a split-second too late to make a move. I was thinking about hurdling him but it was little bit too late.”

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Feely-Calmly-Beats-Former-Team/0187cb00-32a7-4994-82dc-3f598d64da55

Notice who was pretty much absent from being mentioned in that game recap article?

Ryan Williams.

For Robrain...

This is America, and in America, you're never finished as long as you have a (ro)brain in your head, because all a man really needs is an idea.” ―Herbert Powell

who in the hell is this guy and why is there 21 pages on him? does anyone other than his family and some of the Cardinals know he plays in the NFL???

who in the hell is this guy and why is there 21 pages on him? does anyone other than his family and some of the Cardinals know he plays in the NFL???

SO glad I play in a deep, competitive dynasty league where everyone makes it their business to know guys like this before they break out, or consistently get left in the dust. Much more fun to me than those shallower leagues where you're only paying attention to the name brand players...

I was disappointed Powell didn't get to get more carries but he was effective in the return game he nearly broke the opening kick of OT for a TD.

for only getting 2 carries he was in the game a lot. hopefully zona will get to run the ball more next week. sucks that he didnt get a chance with LSW out

The Cardinals gave up on the run game far too early. They only had 15 rushes to 48 pass attempts. I think The Cardinals coaching staff will realize this when they review the tape.

After All the sacks and interceptions they barely squeeked by Miami at home.

Going up against the Saint Louis Rams (25th vs the run) next week I am sure they will commit a lot more to the run. Seeing how ineffective Ryan Williams was I'd think that would warrant more carries for Powell.

for only getting 2 carries he was in the game a lot. hopefully zona will get to run the ball more next week. sucks that he didnt get a chance with LSW out

In the second half it seemed like he was in just as much as Ryan Williams. Too bad they weren't running at all.

The Cardinals gave up on the run game far too early. They only had 15 rushes to 48 pass attempts. I think The Cardinals coaching staff will realize this when they review the tape.

Going up against the Saint Louis Rams (25th vs the run) next week I am sure they will commit a lot more to the run. Seeing how ineffective Ryan Williams was I'd think that would warrant more carries for Powell.

Here is the point everyone is missing and trying ignore, especially you with your Rose Colored Powell glasses on. Arizona's offensive line sucks. Arizona's offensive line is putrid. Arizona's offensive line is arguably the worst collection of losers in the NFL trying to run block. You can try to spin it any which way you want but Arizona abandoned the run today because there offensive line was getting overwhelmed on every run attempt. If a runner is behind a putrid offensive line his chances of succeeding are extremely low. So lets recap:

Back up RB, with regular 3rd down back out got 2 carries for 2 yards. 2 catches for 6 yards. When regular 3rd down back is back those 2 catches for 6 yards probably do not happen.

So now we need an injury to the regular running back, just so the said back up can begin to get more touches behind putrid offensive line. How in the world is this a positive outlook for anyone to invest in? Someone explain that to me please. This beginning to bother me. This thread has gone on for 20 pages and all I have seen is stupid BS like "this guy has HEART, he wants this SO BAD, he is going to try so much harder because he has never had a shot in his life", I don't give 2 craps about that and neither should anyone else. Any player trying to make a career in the NFL who hasn't got a shot is going to have heart and desire, like Ryan Williams, the starter.

Edited by Cmilne23

Here is the point everyone is missing and trying ignore, especially you with your Rose Colored Powell glasses on. Arizona's offensive line sucks. Arizona's offensive line is putrid. Arizona's offensive line is arguably the worst collection of losers in the NFL trying to run block. You can try to spin it any which way you want but Arizona abandoned the run today because there offensive line was getting overwhelmed on every run attempt. If a runner is behind a putrid offensive line his chances of succeeding are extremely low. So lets recap:

Back up RB, with regular 3rd down back out got 2 carries for 2 yards. 2 catches for 6 yards. When regular 3rd down back is back those 2 catches for 6 yards probably do not happen.

So now we need an injury to the regular running back, just so the said back up can begin to get more touches behind putrid offensive line. How in the world is this a positive outlook for anyone to invest in? Someone explain that to me please. This beginning to bother me. This thread has gone on for 20 pages and all I have seen is stupid BS like "this guy has HEART, he wants this SO BAD, he is going to try so much harder because he has never had a shot in his life", I don't give 2 craps about that and neither should anyone else. Any player trying to make a career in the NFL who hasn't got a shot is going to have heart and desire, like Ryan Williams, the starter.

i agree the offensive line is garbage. but this guy has skills and he has a legit opportunity to take over as lead back. ryan williams has anything but secured the job and is an injury waiting to happen. also this team is 4-0 so most games they have the lead most games and more opportunities to run. but the offensive is definitely a major concern. still he is a decent flier with RBs so thin

Not necessarily. Williams has been awful, and even admitted himself he was playing scared... and it looks it. Yeah the O-line sucks, but what I'm mostly seeing in this thread is people recognizing an opportunity to pick up a player on the cheap who, if things continue as they've been going in 'Zona, has an actual shot at being the lead back. That alone makes him worth at least a look to deep leaguers.

Certainly nothing worth getting "bothered" about, lol.

I find this somewhat amazing. Through 4 games, Arizona's featured RB is averaging 3.0 YPC. Of his two longest runs, one came on third and 17 against prevent defense, the other came in garbage time of a blowout right before QB took a knee. If you remove those two runs, their featured RB is averaging 2.0 YPC (less than Peyton Manning's career YPC). And this team is 4-0!

Imagine what might happen if they ever get their running game going.

The biggest boost for Powell isn't his performance, but that Williams did nothing to wow the coaches and get more carries. That helps incredibly for him going forward into the next game.

Hopefully Powell can get 7-9 touches next week and do something with it.

The biggest boost for Powell isn't his performance, but that Williams did nothing to wow the coaches and get more carries. That helps incredibly for him going forward into the next game.

Powell went for 2 carries for 2 yards he did nothing to inspire getting more touches. If anything it probably makes Arizona go to the trade market and look for a proven veteran compliment to back up Ryan Williams.

Powell went for 2 carries for 2 yards he did nothing to inspire getting more touches. If anything it probably makes Arizona go to the trade market and look for a proven veteran compliment to back up Ryan Williams.

And what did Williams do? Nothing. My point is Williams did nothing to wow anyone. No one said, "Wow this guy, get him ALL the carries you can". That means the door is open. That is the important thing for Powell.

You must have also missed Powell's return game. He looked explosive and nearly won the OT on the opening kickoff but got taken out by the kicker. The guy was an inactive the first 3 games, so I'm giving him some slack.

We are talking about long odds here, but he is still in the running.

You guys are basically debating which Denny's has the cleanest bathroom. Their OL is dreadful, and both RBs played that way too.

• Like 3